Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2018, 10:13 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Australias violent crime rate is increasing because of their PC policies about immigrants.

While I agree with that to an extend, it doesn't deter from the fact that they are revisiting the ban.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Eco..._cid=NARAN1507
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 10:16 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
It's also a distinct possibility that BOTH the culture AND the ready access to weapons of mass lethality combine to make the USA the most violent "1st world" nation. By far, others are not even close. By a factor of 6X-8X. So it's hard to agree that guns are not the issue, that's just a deflection.
Whites are 1.5 times likely to legally own a gun than blacks. Blacks are more than 4 times more likely to be homicide victims than whites. Most murders are committed by those of the same race.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:18 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Whites are 1.5 times likely to legally own a gun than blacks. Blacks are more than 4 times more likely to be homicide victims than whites. Most murders are committed by those of the same race.
The Black, on Black violence in the U.S. is a major problem. Politicians don't seem to care if they kill each other.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:18 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, blacks are 13.8% of the population and commit 50% of the homicides, mostly other blacks.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:26 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
While I agree with that to an extend, it doesn't deter from the fact that they are revisiting the ban.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Eco..._cid=NARAN1507
They are considering actions to tighten the ban and an amnesty to collect more weapons.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:35 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Repeal the 2nd amendment then!

Rights are not absolute...and there is already numerous restrictions on the right of an individual to own a firearm.

When you try and crank-down the restrictions too tight, it will be challenged in court.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:37 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,495,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
It's also a distinct possibility that BOTH the culture AND the ready access to weapons of mass lethality combine to make the USA the most violent "1st world" nation. By far, others are not even close. By a factor of 6X-8X. So it's hard to agree that guns are not the issue, that's just a deflection.
Ignoring the obvious I see.

Gun free zones do not work. The system in place of relying on an outside force to come deal with it does not work.

Allow the right to keep and bear arms, allow the teachers and school faculty members the opportunity to be trained and armed to serve as a deterrence and defend the innocent. Or continue down the path of standing on the backs of the deceased with blaming inanimate objects, and drag every unrelated thing in to push for draconian laws and "single payer".

Firearms are not the issue.

The issue is not having a deterrence on site to prevent, and protect. Not having a trained and armed populace, perpetuates the problem to use the deaths as a statistic to prop up for "gun control".

The other issue is not educating fire arm safety and proper handling, instead it is demonize and create a forbidden fruit approach that creates taboo and allure to promote unsafe practices and cause more "accidents" and cases of negligence.
Liberals took the approach of educating safe sex practices in the class room, teenage pregnancy and abortion has been on the decline significantly from 1990-2014. Yet. Firearms safety has gone the way side for emotional brainwashing that guns are bad and inherently dangerous creating the taboo and allure sparking natural curiosity in youth.

It's blatant ignorance.

No different than if a doctor prescribed cigarettes to treat lung cancer to use the expedited deaths as statistics to push for tobacco industry to disappear.

This is what it is. Choosing to ignore the fact that when seconds matter, help is but minutes away, to prop up the deaths to champion on behalf of, using tragedy to push emotionally driven legislation to curtail rights is vile and disgusting.

Until there is someone in these areas that have become nothing more than a mere target rich environment with out the means of defense, it will continue to happen.

We protect bank trucks loaded with cash with armed and trained guards. Quite the incentive to descend upon a bank truck up until the fact that there are guards aboard willing to defend that cash.

Why we can't have the same for kids is baffling.

I would gladly volunteer to bring forth a bill to the house senate and desk of the president that would allow school faculty members teachers, principals, janitors etc the opportunity to train for these events, expedite their 2nd amendment rights to keep and bear arms, address any and all concerns, and provide the measures of defense to protect the lives of the innocent to thwart these heinous individuals and make them all "would be" attackers.

The model in place isn't working. Choosing to ignore this is insanity, expecting a different result time, and time, and time again.

Time to grow a spine. Time to go back to being land of the free, home of the brave.

I would volunteer in the effort as much as I possibly could to ensure the proper training is involved and that our schools are completely safe from these events.
All I would request is the cost of simunition rounds covered to do these training exercises along side law enforcement and private instructors to educate and prepare for the worst and thwart the attackers.
Whether I took part as a "student" or took part as an officer or took part as an attacker.

Could run these exercises during summer break to solidify skills, abilities, and confidence in one's self to handle these events should they arise and thwart these attackers.
Time to start seeing "would be school shooters" on the head lines and remove the incentive that a gun free zone offers a heinous individual.
Time to have a deterrence present in schools.

Before anyone grandstands and has doomsday like prophecies about what I propose, and insist that metal detectors, cameras and the current lock down drills in place as alternatives along with other costly measures which won't stop or reduce in severity of these heinous acts...
I ask.

Which would you rather.

A. Trained and armed staff to stifle the event immediately with impunity on behalf of innocent kids.
B. Put in costly detection devices, cameras to monitor, and rely on a good guy-law enforcement, to arrive to handle the threat?

Remember before you answer. These events typically last 10-15 minutes. Seconds matter. Police, and it is not their fault, it is not a jab at police, police can not be everywhere at every second of every day.
We have the resources available. We have staff already present in our schools.
All that is needed is the desire to be proactive in prevention and defense.
There wouldn't need to be any big government funding and it could be strictly voluntary.

I am willing to work on stopping these events and deterring these events. Enough is enough.
Blaming the inanimate object, pushing for more laws, this attitude is flawed and ignorant.

If I can get my 70 year old mother and little sister empowered, trained, armed, and carry every single day, with the confidence in their skills, their abilities, their judgement; 2 that have never held a gun, let alone fire one, I could get every faculty member to be the same.

Or we continue down the path we have, with false equivalencies and blaming this side for this, that side for that.

Have we lost sight of the constitution and bill of rights?

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Time to Protect life.
Preserve liberty.
Stop demonizing and attack those unrelated, pursuits of happiness.

Address the monster in the room and put petty partisan bickering aside. Acknowledge the problem, what isn't working. Assess the risks, address concerns, and take action.

Who is with me?

Old 01-25-2018, 10:48 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

Gun free zones do not work. The system in place of relying on an outside force to come deal with it does not work.

Allow the right to keep and bear arms, allow the teachers and school faculty members the opportunity to be trained and armed to serve as a deterrence and defend the innocent. Or continue down the path of standing on the backs of the deceased with blaming inanimate objects, and drag every unrelated thing in to push for draconian laws and "single payer".

The issue is not having a deterrence on site to prevent, and protect. Not having a trained and armed populace, perpetuates the problem to use the deaths as a statistic to prop up for "gun control".

The other issue is not educating fire arm safety and proper handling, instead it is demonize and create a forbidden fruit approach that creates taboo and allure to promote unsafe practices and cause more "accidents" and cases of negligence.
Liberals took the approach of educating safe sex practices in the class room, teenage pregnancy and abortion has been on the decline significantly from 1990-2014. Yet. Firearms safety has gone the way side for emotional brainwashing that guns are bad and inherently dangerous creating the taboo and allure sparking natural curiosity in youth.

It's blatant ignorance.

No different than if a doctor prescribed cigarettes to treat lung cancer to use the expedited deaths as statistics to push for tobacco industry to disappear.

This is what it is. Choosing to ignore the fact that when seconds matter, help is but minutes away, to prop up the deaths to champion on behalf of, using tragedy to push emotionally driven legislation to curtail rights is vile and disgusting.

Until there is someone in these areas that have become nothing more than a mere target rich environment with out the means of defense, it will continue to happen.

We protect bank trucks loaded with cash with armed and trained guards. Quite the incentive to descend upon a bank truck up until the fact that there are guards aboard willing to defend that cash.

I would gladly volunteer to bring forth a bill to the house senate and desk of the president that would allow school faculty members teachers, principals, janitors etc the opportunity to train for these events, expedite their 2nd amendment rights to keep and bear arms, address any and all concerns, and provide the measures of defense to protect the lives of the innocent to thwart these heinous individuals and make them all "would be" attackers.

The model in place isn't working. Choosing to ignore this is insanity, expecting a different result time, and time, and time again.

Time to grow a spine. Time to go back to being land of the free, home of the brave.

I would volunteer in the effort as much as I possibly could to ensure the proper training is involved and that our schools are completely safe from these events.
All I would request is the cost of simunition rounds covered to do these training exercises along side law enforcement and private instructors to educate and prepare for the worst and thwart the attackers.
Whether I took part as a "student" or took part as an officer or took part as an attacker.

Could run these exercises during summer break to solidify skills, abilities, and confidence in one's self to handle these events should they arise and thwart these attackers.
Time to start seeing "would be school shooters" on the head lines and remove the incentive that a gun free zone offers a heinous individual.

Before anyone grandstands and has doomsday like prophecies about what I propose, and insist that metal detectors, cameras and the current lock down drills in place as alternatives along with other costly measures which won't stop or reduce in severity of these heinous acts...
I ask.

Which would you rather.

A. Trained and armed staff to stifle the event immediately with impunity on behalf of innocent kids.
B. Put in costly detection devices, cameras to monitor, and rely on a good guy-law enforcement, to arrive to handle the threat?

Remember before you answer. These events typically last 10-15 minutes. Seconds matter. Police, and it is not their fault, it is not a jab at police, police can not be everywhere at every second of every day.
There wouldn't need to be any big government funding and it could be strictly voluntary.

I am willing to work on stopping these events and deterring these events. Enough is enough.
Blaming the inanimate object, pushing for more laws, this attitude is flawed and ignorant.

If I can get my 70 year old mother and little sister empowered, trained, armed, and carry every single day, with the confidence in their skills, their abilities, their judgement; 2 that have never held a gun, let alone fire one, I could get every faculty member to be the same.

Or we continue down the path we have, with false equivalencies and blaming this side for this, that side for that.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Time to Protect life.
Preserve liberty.

Address the monster in the room and put petty partisan bickering aside. Acknowledge the problem, what isn't working. Assess the risks, address concerns, and take action.

Who is with me?
this

Old 01-25-2018, 10:53 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
They are considering actions to tighten the ban and an amnesty to collect more weapons.

Wow, I misunderstood the word amnesty. Thought it meant something along the lines of a reprieve , in this case loosening the law.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:54 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

It's blatant ignorance.

I ask.

Which would you rather.

Time to Protect life.
Preserve liberty.

Who is with me?
Well spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies