Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 11:43 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, you were referring to those harmed by guns.

Now, the question could be, how many were saved by them?

That figure is probably unknown but it is probably a very true situation.

As far as "Is there a fire prevention system that uses petrol?" I don't know but given that so much of modern life comes out of the petrochemical industry, I wouldn't be surprised to find something in fire prevention, fire fighting that comes from a refinery.
There is much written and lots in the way of statistics that you can easily Google if you really want to know...

Most I have read that seem worthy suggest the odds of being shot increase for gun owners, but ultimately it all depends on which numbers you want to believe, what stories you prefer to hear, per your bias one way or another. Confirmation bias reigns when it comes to this topic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Unfortunately, when people are forced to pull a gun, and the assailant flees, they often don't report it, as there were no shots fired, nor any harm ultimately done, other than getting terrorized. However, there are thousands of documented incidents of people successfully defending themselves with a gun, and SAVING innocent lives. The Left never considers their right to life.
I rest my case about confirmation bias...

About as true as conservative gun enthusiasts never considering all the incidents that didn't go so well, accidents, child victims, mistaken identity, all the cases related to people who know other people that turn violent, deadly. Only "thousands of documented incidents of people successfully defending themselves with a gun" (note no reference site for the supporting data).

"Balance is key" as they say, and what we have here with most anti-gun control comments is about as balanced as an elephant and a mouse on a teeter totter...

Old 03-31-2018, 11:54 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

About as true as conservative gun enthusiasts never considering all the incidents that didn't go so well, accidents, child victims, mistaken identity, all the cases related to people who know other people that turn violent, deadly. Only "thousands of documented incidents of people successfully defending themselves with a gun" (note no reference site for the supporting data).

"Balance is key" as they say, and what we have here with most anti-gun control comments is about as balanced as an elephant and a mouse on a teeter totter...
I posted about this earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Just tossing this back out there into the discussion:

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...rime-deterrent

From above article:
The Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council released the results of their research through the CDC last month. Researchers compiled data from previous studies in order to guide future research on gun violence, noting that “almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year.”

As for gun control measures potentially having an effect on decreasing casualties, the report expresses uncertainty: “Whether gun restrictions reduce firearm-related violence is an unresolved issue,” and there is no evidence “that passage of right-to-carry laws decrease or increase violence crime.” It also stated that proposed “gun turn-in programs are ineffective.”

Old 03-31-2018, 11:58 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,428 times
Quote:

Sorry, two posts in a row here but if you look at the chart in this one:
http://igeek.com/w/U.S._vs_U.K._-_Crime/Murder

It shows that white homicide rates went UP in the UK after banning handguns. (Note: they only explore white homicides... all homicides independent of race are a tragedy.)

Old 03-31-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
This one compares "white" crime. It adjusts the homicide rate to race only.

http://igeek.com/w/U.S._vs_U.K._-_Crime/Murder

Whites in the UK commit more homicides than whites in the US. If we take out inner-city crime, we actually have statistically low homicide rates. It does not address our mass-shooting at schools (and churches) but it does show that we have an inner-city cultural issue that contributes to the majority of our gun violence.

In a country where firearms are banned, they switch to knives and clubs. Does the UK have a unique knife violence culture? (26,370 knife crimes compared to our 1,500 and we have 5x their population.)

@Ivmensch
Should the UK ban knives of all types? Should knife drawers be inspected regularly to insure no knives have gone missing? Registration of all knives and annual inspections? If you lose a knife, it could affect everyone. Would we have every right to restrict your knives?
Interesting. Enough to take a more careful look before I really need to sign off now...

Interesting your link is to something called "iGeek" that I had never seen before. Cleverly disguised to look something like Wikipedia, but it certainly is nothing of the sort. I could tell just by reading the rather biased manner in which these statistics are presented. Wikipedia may have some bias of course, but nothing quite as bad or obvious as what iGeek seems to be all about. Confirmation bias rules again perhaps?

Check a few other sites, and you might find this for example...

As Bier put it, "The FBI’s Uniform Crime Reports defines a ‘violent crime’ as one of four specific offenses: murder and non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault." By contrast, "the British definition includes all ‘crimes against the person,’ including simple assaults, all robberies, and all ‘sexual offenses,’ as opposed to the FBI, which only counts aggravated assaults and ‘forcible rapes.’ "

Once you know this, Bier wrote, "it becomes clear how misleading it is to compare rates of violent crime in the U.S. and the U.K. You’re simply comparing two different sets of crimes."

Normally I am a big advocate of providing a source to back up such claims, and I thank for doing so. I would also normally provide the link from where the above quote comes from but what's the point? We all read and believe what we want regardless. Right? Easy enough for anyone to find as well, if wanting...

Another good day to you until next time! Cheers.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:09 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Maybe we need to better define the definition of "punish," but most people find it hard to believe that gun owners are "punished" by laws intended to force people to be more careful and responsible with their guns. Are we "punished," for example, because we can't drive 40 MPH in a 25 MPH zone? Are we "punished" because we can't drink a beer while driving? Are we "punished" because we have to stop at a red light at an intersection even when there is no cross traffic?
Why the constant comparison of a Constitutionally guaranteed right, with a privilege? The two aren't even remotely similar. Why not bring up the myriad of restrictions on 1st amendment rights? It would be a more meaningful argument.

Quote:
One thing is to make sound arguments with respect to the pros and cons of gun control. It's quite another to suggest anyone wants to "punish" innocent people. Right up there with the "guns don't commit crime, people do" argument. To call them arguments is an insult to real arguments...
What would you call restricting law abiding adult citizens from their exercise of a constitutionally guaranteed right? A reward? No, it is clearly a punishment.

Quote:
Why punish real arguments with dumb ones?
I would suggest that you ponder this question, and see if you can figure out why you keep doing it.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:23 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Why the constant comparison of a Constitutionally guaranteed right, with a privilege? The two aren't even remotely similar. Why not bring up the myriad of restrictions on 1st amendment rights? It would be a more meaningful argument.

What would you call restricting law abiding adult citizens from their exercise of a constitutionally guaranteed right? A reward? No, it is clearly a punishment.

I would suggest that you ponder this question, and see if you can figure out why you keep doing it.
The right to self defense arms is constitutional. The care and storage of firearms is not. Simple as that. Reasonable laws requiring that firearms be kept safe will be found constitutional. And limits on types and capabilities are also regulateable.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:40 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And yet, the statistics prove you are wrong. As more guns have been bought over the last 20 years, the number of gun homicides has decreased, almost every year.
Originally Posted by LearnMe
There are more and more people feeling less and less accepting of guns, because the numbers seem to suggest the huge number of guns in America is part of why we have so many more incidents of mass shootings and gun violence in general compared to other advanced modern societies.

There's the rub...

No answer when you are wrong?

Old 03-31-2018, 04:16 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Originally Posted by LearnMe
There are more and more people feeling less and less accepting of guns, because the numbers seem to suggest the huge number of guns in America is part of why we have so many more incidents of mass shootings and gun violence in general compared to other advanced modern societies.

There's the rub...

No answer when you are wrong?
You are assuming causality when none has been proven.

The counter is that the number of gun owners has in fact decreased.

A large number of owners with a number of guns does not do anything for preventing crime.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:56 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You are assuming causality when none has been proven.

The counter is that the number of gun owners has in fact decreased.

A large number of owners with a number of guns does not do anything for preventing crime.
You have no facts that the number of gun owners have decreased except for some phone polls that most gun owners would probably not answer. Even the last CDC study said that guns prevented crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies