Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 01:22 PM

1,316 posts, read 739,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So, sounds like the Dem work around here is to redefine "due process" and expand the justifications for initiating the redefined "due process".

Have you actually read anything about this? There are already states that allow gun confiscation without due process. Addressing this at a federal level is a way to make sure that doesn't happen as we move into gun reform. And, make no mistake, we are headed that way.

I do feel that there are cases where it should be legal to remove guns from someone's possession. I don't know if this is the way to address it, but I'm not hearing a lot of actual plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 02:05 AM

23,462 posts, read 13,697,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
  • My right to vote does not allow me to vote for whomever I choose.
Where are you voting where you do not have the right to write in the candidate of your choice?

Old 04-04-2018, 07:15 AM

14,810 posts, read 11,895,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Show us how the two countries are completely equal in all aspects that contribute to violence so that we have a valid equation to work with.
In what way are the countries SO different that it makes the figures so massively different? And why are all other first world countries so much more alike when it comes to death by guns? The US is a HUGE outlier, it ain't rocket science to see why now is it?

Old 04-04-2018, 08:51 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,703,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Where are you voting where you do not have the right to write in the candidate of your choice?
Someone else who didn't read the entire post. What a surprise.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:38 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,042,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
In what way are the countries SO different that it makes the figures so massively different? And why are all other first world countries so much more alike when it comes to death by guns? The US is a HUGE outlier, it ain't rocket science to see why now is it?
The US is a complicated, diverse and massive country.

I live in inner city, several hours south of some of my family up north by Canadian border.

EVERYONE up in their town owns a gun, and if you go up there on the land some days all you will hear is gunfire all around you up there.

But I think their town/area up there has had ONE gun homicide in the last 100 years or something like that.

On the other hand, the inner city, down here, where I live, homicide by a firearm is more common. It's not like Chicago bad, but that was my next point.

Chicago has gun laws, and they have a massive gun murder problem.

Now, why up northing where my family lives and EVERYONE owns a firearm are there basically NO firearm murders?

As I said, America is more complicated and complex than the communists like to make it out to be.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:50 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,616,061 times
.....sigh.....can’t post my photo.......

Old 04-04-2018, 11:15 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,236,136 times
Quote:
Culture. Think about it.

Most popular sport in the developed world except the US soccer. US Basketball, Baseball and Football.

Most popular motor racing RoW Formula 1, US NASCAR/IRL.

Both are clear indications of significant divergence between the US and the rest of the developed world from a cultural perspective, and sports actually have had some serious study on societies choice of popular sports, and how sports adapt to changing social perspectives. It has legs shall we say.

I've also said many times technological achievement does not relate to cultural maturity. European cultures are hundreds or thousands of years old (though they may have had several forms of government during that period). My high school (in the UK) was older in parts than the US government, my University college was founded before Columbus even set sail.

There's a huge difference in perspective living in a country where you're constantly reminded everything you have us on loan (because someone owned it before you were here and someone's going to own it after you've gone), and a culture that thinks a 30 year old house is old. Where between now and WW2 is around 1/4 of your recorded history, and a country where WW2 seems to be recent history.

The US is young as an entity, comparisons would be much fairer comparing it to other nations in America than Europe, since in terms of cultural maturity they're comparable, than say a nation that considers before 1066 being it's birth date, or the Roman or Holy Roman empires.

Just sayin... because seriously the similarities between the US and UK are as thin as a piece of paper. Speaking as someone raised in the UK and who has lived for 20 years in the US.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:50 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,042,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Aren't you the one who just spouted, "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE IF/WHEN/HOW a person decides to kill themselves, if they deem it prudent???"

Right! Time to sign off now. Got a life still to live...
That's the whole point. It's just another option among basically an endless line of options.

The point is, if someone wants to do it nothing will stop them. You can try to ban guns but if a person is genuinely suicidal...well have fun stopping suicides, because they will continue on for eternity.

The fact someone would stick a gun in their mouths and pull the trigger just goes to show you there are no lengths they will stop at to commit suicide.

Okay...so let's assume you get a "ban" (whatever that means, because even if society "bans" them, the rich/famous/political/elites will ALWAYS have them) would you rather we have more people throwing themselves off buildings or bridges? Or playing in heavy traffic? Or drinking radiator fluid??

I talked to someone who knows about these things and you know what they told me is the worst way to die? Overdose on medications.

They said your internal organs all shut down, and it is the most brutal way to commit suicide there is. I guess you had better get on to banning medications too then...

Last edited by Kavalier; 04-05-2018 at 09:11 AM..

Old 04-05-2018, 10:03 AM

14,810 posts, read 11,895,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
The US is a complicated, diverse and massive country.

I live in inner city, several hours south of some of my family up north by Canadian border.

EVERYONE up in their town owns a gun, and if you go up there on the land some days all you will hear is gunfire all around you up there.

But I think their town/area up there has had ONE gun homicide in the last 100 years or something like that.

On the other hand, the inner city, down here, where I live, homicide by a firearm is more common. It's not like Chicago bad, but that was my next point.

Chicago has gun laws, and they have a massive gun murder problem.

Now, why up northing where my family lives and EVERYONE owns a firearm are there basically NO firearm murders?

As I said, America is more complicated and complex than the communists like to make it out to be.
Oh I see, so US is complicated whereas every other first world country is not? There is NOTHING in your post that says to me 'this is why our gun death rates are so much higher than other first world countries', just like I thought (well know really), its simply because of your ridiculously lax gun laws.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,874,403 times
Quote:
Oh I see, so US is complicated whereas every other first world country is not? There is NOTHING in your post that says to me 'this is why our gun death rates are so much higher than other first world countries', just like I thought (well know really), its simply because of your ridiculously lax gun laws.
I don't know if I'd be criticizing if I were you, glass houses and all that...

London murder rate overtakes New York as stabbings surge

Quote:
London (AFP) - A surge of stabbings in London was blamed Monday for the city overtaking New York's monthly murder tally for the first time in modern history.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/london-mu...170909810.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies