Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 01:37 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times

Advertisements

This whole issue is based on the premise that property rights rule over human rights. All these apartment houses, marinas, etc., may be privately-owned, but humans live in them and pay for the privilege. They don't have to give up their rights as citizens to do so and to live their lives in their chosen manner.

There has been a law passed that allows renters to use outside antennas, to receive communication signals. So why not one to protect that most fundamental right, to hang out laundry? Are there still electric companies that are pushing to maximize the use of their energy? Remember the commercials that Ronald Reagan did for GE, to get people to buy and use more appliances? The power companies and appliance makers were in a conspiracy. Shame on them, if they still do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 01:44 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This whole issue is based on the premise that property rights rule over human rights. All these apartment houses, marinas, etc., may be privately-owned, but humans live in them and pay for the privilege. They don't have to give up their rights as citizens to do so and to live their lives in their chosen manner.

There has been a law passed that allows renters to use outside antennas, to receive communication signals. So why not one to protect that most fundamental right, to hang out laundry? Are there still electric companies that are pushing to maximize the use of their energy? Remember the commercials that Ronald Reagan did for GE, to get people to buy and use more appliances? The power companies and appliance makers were in a conspiracy. Shame on them, if they still do this.

Is it a human right to create hazards?

Old 10-03-2017, 01:57 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
One more reason I will never live anywhere that has an HOA.
Neither will I. HOAs seem to be comprised of busybodies who have nothing better to do than obsess over trivial superficial bs.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:37 AM

934 posts, read 403,002 times
Default A waste of energy, what else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Yesterday I was reading rules for a marina I am thinking of moving to. Despite always having wet clothes to dry and high cost of electricity made by diesel power plants on an island with tons of solar energy, hanging anything to dry is banned.

I have been doing all my wash aboard by hand and hanging to dry.

Which reminds me to.... done. Thanks

This is one thing I can't really wrap my mind around. But as long as my neck of wood is free from it...

Totally understandable if your place is in a touristy/historic area. If y'all are making money by looking pretty and dignified , then of course, your and Victoria's secret should remain hidden from public eye, like everything else that may ruin your image.

But a good old suburbia backyard (BACKYARD, we are not even talking about your driveway and your flower beds in the front if any) , Gee...

Of course, a little bit of flexibility goes a long way. In my small town I have next door neighbours who are older people. Never have they seen our underwear. It's simple. I have two rows of laundry rope parallel to each other.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:27 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Is it a human right to create hazards?

What is hazardous about hanging out laundry?

Old 10-03-2017, 05:22 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post

Private property rights and human rights are the same. You own yourself, dont you?

Old 10-03-2017, 05:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post

Should neighborhoods be allowed to force people to waste energy like this?
If you are in an association or private property you are renting/leasing, yes.

Don't like it? Buy/rent/lease somewhere else.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:01 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
I feel like I've been living in a libertarian paradise. My last three homes, no HOAs. One of them the yard was very bad when I got it and no one had complained to the town, even though the houses around it are well kept. Just live and let live attitude. I hang things outside all the time in the sun, no way I would allow anyone to dictate what I put outside in my own yard.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:14 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
It may be a rule because offending parties do not want to see your clutch marks on your white boxers.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:16 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Years ago most everyone had a clothesline and hung their laundry out to dry. No one thought anything about it. When did it become considered a hazard or an eyesore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies