Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 05:26 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
HOAs seem to frequently have an outside laundry ban in my parts. Maybe they think it makes things look messy?

When I lived in an apartment, I strung some clothes up on my balcony on a large-ish drying rack and got cited by the apartment management for it. I do realize it would look pretty messy if everyone did it - but having just moved to the U.S at the time (from a country where everyone hangs their laundry out) it never even occurred to me.

It seems that HOAs and some apartment complexes want to keep things looking pristine.

Where I live now doesn't have a ban, or if they do, it isn't enforced.
That's my thought process, too. And, quite frankly, I'm glad of it. I can imagine how tacky my condo building would look if everyone was hanging their laundry and other things off the balconies. For those who claim that it doesn't make a difference, it definitely does for me. When I was looking for a place to buy, I crossed out an otherwise appealing building because it was across the street from another building that let people put whatever they wanted to on the balconies. So balconies were cluttered with trash, etc. That's not the sort of view that I wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 05:39 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's my thought process, too. And, quite frankly, I'm glad of it. I can imagine how tacky my condo building would look if everyone was hanging their laundry and other things off the balconies. For those who claim that it doesn't make a difference, it definitely does for me. When I was looking for a place to buy, I crossed out an otherwise appealing building because it was across the street from another building that let people put whatever they wanted to on the balconies. So balconies were cluttered with trash, etc. That's not the sort of view that I wanted.
Oh come come. Have a look at how pretty all this laundry is hung in these photos.

"Hung out to dry on a warm afternoon, the clothes of students at a Chinese university create a bright patchwork of colours."

Source:
Now that's a Chinese laundry! Washing hung out on students' balconies creates a bright rainbow patchwork of colours | Daily Mail Online

Having all laundry dried comes with a double price.

The heat of the machine in an air conditioned apartment or home means you must run the AC even higher to compensate for all the added heat.

Americans are huge energy hogs and it is high time we stopped being such a wasteful society all because a few people think hanging laundry is a sign of poverty.

PS I agree trash should not be kept on a balcony.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:46 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
There is nothing quite like crawling between clean sheets that have dried on the line. Heavenly.

Towels tend to be a little stiff, but good for exfoliation.

Sun takes the mildewy smell from dishcloths.

So we never live any place that has a fit about clothes on the line.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:48 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,586,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

I guess hanging-out laundry is just too third-worldish for prosperous Americans to tolerate. It reminds them that there's others in their communities, who have trouble surviving financially.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:49 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There is nothing quite like crawling between clean sheets that have dried on the line. Heavenly.

Towels tend to be a little stiff, but good for exfoliation.

Sun takes the mildewy smell from dishcloths.

So we never live any place that has a fit about clothes on the line.
And bird poop on them and a bug you bring in the house that was smelling the sheets.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:51 PM

More facts about costs:

There are 87 million residential dryers in the U.S. These clothes dryers account for 6% of residential electricity consumption, which is roughly equivalent to the electricity consumed annually by the entire state of Massachusetts (60 billion kWh per year). The annual cost of operating
America 's clothes dryers adds up to about $9 billion.

.......Source: https://www.forbes.com

I bet that figure is low because it doesn't account for extra load on AC.

I am not saying all dryers can be replaced however argue against places that force you to use them.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:55 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I guess hanging-out laundry is just too third-worldish for prosperous Americans to tolerate. It reminds them that there's others in their communities, who have trouble surviving financially.
I pay a premium to live/own where I do. I don't want to have to look at that. But that's me and certainly isn't for everyone.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:59 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Years ago most everyone had a clothesline and hung their laundry out to dry. No one thought anything about it. When did it become considered a hazard or an eyesore?
My grandmother was very meticulous about hanging out her laundry. First she would put out all her towels, wash cloths, then her sheets and pillow cases all in a perfect line. The next line of clothes were all white shirts my grandfather wore and all white underwear perfectly hung out. She had the neatest clothes line I ever saw.

They were all spaced evenly , it must have been her years of practice . She was a very meticulous woman and was always properly dressed and hair done. She was not wealthy but very prim and proper. My grandfather did yard work in dress pants and white shirt. I never saw him in jeans. Just three piece black suits. That is why there was always a row of white shirts on the line.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:10 PM

I wonder whether this ban of laundry at a Marina, and I apologize about being case specific, might indeed stem from concerns about birds. Specifically seagulls.

One reason I love the Pacific so much is the lack of seagulls.

In many American cities pigeons must also be a concern.

Speaking of fresh sheets. I recall Jacqueline Onassis used to insist that staff change her sheets every use even if she just took a nap.

I wonder if Trump properties still change the sheets everyday or every three days as many hotels do now.

Further, wouldn't we have a giant debate here if the WH hung out some sheets to dry on one of the back lawns.

No pigeons here.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:12 PM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That is dumb because it isn't about that in the US - it is about environmentalism (walking the walk), preserving clothing that should not be machine dried and even luxury if you are into freshly air-dried sheets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies