Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:17 AM

40,932 posts, read 48,901,953 times

Advertisements

Mufflers on cars should be outlawed also so we can hear them coming.

A loud car saves lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 11:21 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,667,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Wasn't trying to "troll" but a lot of what I have said is true if you equate cars to guns in the argument of limiting. Fact is more than guns America has a huge car following , many who love their car but hate a gun don't like the idea of being regulated to 85 mph, they don't like the idea of being punished for the irresponsibilty of someone who misuses the car to street and drag race. It is true that there are pages of news reports of street drag racing ending in death so why not regulate cars mechanically and with fees to a limit of 85 mph?

They talk about "gun culture" and "military grade" well how about "car culture" and "racing grade"? Any car that can go more than 85 mph belongs on a "racing grade" track not on the civilized streets. They talk about only police need that gun, well then only police need a car that is faster than 85 mph.

They talk about "gun fetish" yet America has a huge market for high performance cars and upgrades that are allowed on the streets.

I don't support neither such gun control or car control but saying. You want me to register my AR with a the government with a special license, well then register your high performance car with a special license ON top of your drivers license. Have your car mandated to alterted to go no more than 85 mph. All of a sudden many who are all for doing so with a high performance gun shrek at the thought of them having to do that with their car because now you are going after something they enjoy and care about.
well said.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:35 AM

1,548 posts, read 907,102 times
I think my VW could go over 85 but it would probably blow up. Point being - ALL cars can go over 85.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:37 AM

7,731 posts, read 5,459,910 times
Cars aren’t designed to kill things.

I guess if you trying to convince yourself with nonsense than this false equivalency works

Old 10-04-2017, 11:51 AM

13,562 posts, read 21,324,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Cars aren’t designed to kill things.

I guess if you trying to convince yourself with nonsense than this false equivalency works
Actually your argument is irrelevant. Unless you also think killing in self defense is also wrong. Also, the military uses jeeps and trucks and humvee all terain vehicles, and the military uses them to kill. The same vehicles are lawful on the streets to civilians save a few minor changes.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:02 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,168,891 times
Quote:
Wasn't trying to "troll" but a lot of what I have said is true if you equate cars to guns in the argument of limiting. Fact is more than guns America has a huge car following , many who love their car but hate a gun don't like the idea of being regulated to 85 mph, they don't like the idea of being punished for the irresponsibilty of someone who misuses the car to street and drag race. It is true that there are pages of news reports of street drag racing ending in death so why not regulate cars mechanically and with fees to a limit of 85 mph?

They talk about "gun culture" and "military grade" well how about "car culture" and "racing grade"? Any car that can go more than 85 mph belongs on a "racing grade" track not on the civilized streets. They talk about only police need that gun, well then only police need a car that is faster than 85 mph.

They talk about "gun fetish" yet America has a huge market for high performance cars and upgrades that are allowed on the streets.

I don't support neither such gun control or car control but saying. You want me to register my AR with a the government with a special license, well then register your high performance car with a special license ON top of your drivers license. Have your car mandated to alterted to go no more than 85 mph. All of a sudden many who are all for doing so with a high performance gun shrek at the thought of them having to do that with their car because now you are going after something they enjoy and care about.
All cars that go over 85 are not "high performance cars." They are just cars. Racing in the streets is already illegal--there are tracks one can take their cars.

Everyone who owns a car is supposed to buy insurance. True of guns?

Everyone who gets a drivers' license must pass a written and driving test. True of guns?

Cars have visible license plates so you can see them, trace them or find them. True of guns?

Cars bought and sold on the private market must be registered, taxed and sometimes inspected. True of guns?

There is a National Driver Register system for dangerous drivers and state systems to easily locate a car owner. True of guns?

There are laws against driving while under the influence. True of guns?

I'm not seeing the similarities, but we can certainly institute the same standard for guns that we do for cars. That might be a good idea.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:02 PM

68,282 posts, read 54,070,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
OP is making a very salient comparison to gun grabbers with guns.

Why stop at guns? Let's slow down these fast cars, put training wheels on bikes, and just ban motorcycles entirely. Once we're done with that we can begin targeted regulation of the food and drink that Americans consume. Then we'll regulate their energy use by limiting the size of the house they can own. From there it will be a deliciously smooth glide path into even further regulations down the line.

If anyone reads this and thinks this is just a silly notion then let me just remind you that it's already happening.

Nah, what he's making is a fruit salad of apples & oranges.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
All cars that go over 85 are not "high performance cars." They are just cars. Racing in the streets is already illegal--there are tracks one can take their cars.

Everyone who owns a car is supposed to buy insurance. True of guns?

Everyone who gets a drivers' license must pass a written and driving test. True of guns?

Cars have visible license plates so you can see them, trace them or find them. True of guns?

Cars bought and sold on the private market must be registered, taxed and sometimes inspected. True of guns?

There is a National Driver Register system for dangerous drivers and state systems to easily locate a car owner. True of guns?

There are laws against driving while under the influence. True of guns?

I'm not seeing the similarities, but we can certainly institute the same standard for guns that we do for cars. That might be a good idea.
"All cars that go over 85 mph are not high performance" is irrelevant when there is a movement to ban them, most of the guns called "assault weapons" are not assault weapons yet they are branded as such.

No license for "normal" guns, remember the gun banners say hunting guns are ok so no license (to own) for normal cars regulated to not go past 85 mph.

Guns have serial numbers...

Most areas require a gun to be registered when sold private already.

Yes there is a national check on guns, its called background check.

There are laws against killing, just as laws against using a car wrong, doesn't stop anybody for either if they do.

The only thing you got on me is insurance, however the right to have a gun is in the bill of rights, the right have a car is not. Now if you want to go down that road how about insurance on your right to free speech when someone uses it to bully someone into suicide?

Old 10-04-2017, 12:23 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,454,567 times
Quote:
"All cars that go over 85 mph are not high performance" is irrelevant when there is a movement to ban them, most of the guns called "assault weapons" are not assault weapons yet they are branded as such.

No license for "normal" guns, remember the gun banners say hunting guns are ok so no license (to own) for normal cars regulated to not go past 85 mph.

Guns have serial numbers...

Most areas require a gun to be registered when sold private already.

Yes there is a national check on guns, its called background check.

There are laws against killing, just as laws against using a car wrong, doesn't stop anybody for either if they do.

The only thing you got on me is insurance, however the right to have a gun is in the bill of rights, the right have a car is not. Now if you want to go down that road how about insurance on your right to free speech when someone uses it to bully someone into suicide?
Guns sold thru private sales require nothing at all.

I sold a bunch of handguns for an older friend that had dementia and was going into a nursing home, I posted them on an online classified board, someone called, they came and we agreed on price, he paid in cash, and was gone, I never checked his license or took any information down. There is no way to enforce laws on such sales.

If you look thru any online classified boards, there are 100s of 1000s of guns, or people willing to trade guns for something else, theres even many machine guns, no law or regulation could address this, its just not possible.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Guns sold thru private sales require nothing at all.

I sold a bunch of handguns for an older friend that had dementia and was going into a nursing home, I posted them on an online classified board, someone called, they came and we agreed on price, he paid in cash, and was gone, I never checked his license or took any information down. There is no way to enforce laws on such sales.

If you look thru any online classified boards, there are 100s of 1000s of guns, or people willing to trade guns for something else, theres even many machine guns, no law or regulation could address this, its just not possible.
I am for a law requiring that transfers be checked. You are foolish to sell one to a stranger it could come back to haunt you and if was law it would also put you away. It is true though that law or not you can't control a black market unless it comes back to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies