Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 01:49 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
There's nothing you or I can do about it. The people of Chicago could choose to support and cooperate with their police force.
Alot of people just leave Chicago, or go to safer neighborhoods within Chicago, as to keep themselves out of such situations.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So what are the top 3 features of the cities that do have high murder rates?
Well, I know exactly where you are going with this. Before I say anything else, what exactly are you trying to say? And what you propose we do about the high murder rates in places like St. Louis, Baltimore, and New Orleans?

Old 10-05-2017, 01:55 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Since you believe that is the norm, then you have NO clue.
It IS the norm. Just look up how many innocent bystanders have been gunned down in Chicago drive-by shootings.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...city-s-n721286

Old 10-05-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence ranks states by stricter/ loosest gun laws. An A = strictest. F = loosest.

7 states scored better ( from their perspective) than Illinois.

Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence - Annual Gun Law State Scorecard 2016

Illinois does not have the strictest gun laws.

Illinois was the last state to ban C/C and did so in 2014. The NRA hailed the as a major victory and projected violent gun crime would decline in Chicago. They were mistaken. Most firearm homicides involve unpermitted hand guns.

Last year, more than 8000 guns were confiscated in Chicago. Most of the confiscations occured in the same 5 out of 25 Police Districts that have the most gun violence. These neighborhoods contain about 8 % of the city's population. The FBI assists Chicago in tracing the source of firearms. 60% originate in Indiana. The rest come in from Wisconsin, Missouri and suburbs.

Laws do not prevent criminals from acquiring firearms.

It is now lawful for people in Chicago to own and c/c firearms provided the owner is licensed to do so.

The victims and offenders tend to be black teen- young adult males, with prior arrest records and gang affiliations. The root cause tends to be interpersonal communication as opposed to gang warfare, fueled by social media.
I understand that laws do not prevent criminals from getting guns. One extreme example of this is Jamaica. Jamaica's murder rate went up after it limited firearm access. People who wanted to kill found ways to do it, and Jamaica has one of the highest murder rates in the Caribbean.

I brought up Maryland and New Jersey because many people forget about Baltimore and Newark. Chicago is constantly the go-to example.

And as you mentioned about the murders, interpersonal communication issues are a big issue. I don't think we have a "gun problem". I think we have people with severe anger problems and an inability to control one's anger. It is an issue of "violence is the answer to every problem".

Old 10-05-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Pharoah View Post
you misunderstand me.

i was simply offering some advice

i.e. if the blacks want to get sympathy and be taken seriously then they should protest issues in their own community.

i don't care if they do it or not.

doesn't affect me one way or another.

no sleep lost.
I don't need your sympathy. I just want some people to quit complaining about Black people. And I want to not have to worry about whether or not I'm looked down on, and the consequences that come with that.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Year to date:

Shot & Killed 498
Shot & Wounded 2,395
Total Shot 2893

Last year there were 762 deaths from firearms in Chicago. The highest rate in 19yrs.

Why is the left not vocal and outraged at the number of gun deaths happening year after year in Chicago?
I would also like to see handgun control. Is that enough liberal outrage for you?

Old 10-05-2017, 02:00 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Pharoah View Post
you misunderstand me.

i was simply offering some advice

i.e. if the blacks want to get sympathy and be taken seriously then they should protest issues in their own community.

i don't care if they do it or not.

doesn't affect me one way or another.

no sleep lost.
You think protests are requests for sympathy??? Roflmao.

You clearly don't get it. You take the protest to those who are harming you. If it's institutional racism you take it to the institution. That is what they are doing. What you are suggesting would be like Ghandi protesting British rule by complaining to his fellow Indians.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:08 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I know exactly where you are going with this. Before I say anything else, what exactly are you trying to say? And what you propose we do about the high murder rates in places like St. Louis, Baltimore, and New Orleans?
Is there really anything that can be done effectively in these cities and still maintain peoples rights?

Most of the people don't respect family, church, the police or education. The ones that do try to get out of the hood.

Controlled crime is about the best we can do. NYC did it by being to expensive for these people to live and a strong police force.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:09 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It IS the norm. Just look up how many innocent bystanders have been gunned down in Chicago drive-by shootings.
That is exactly what I said. I said gansters target other gansters, and too often innocent bystanders get hit. Your counter argument was the the gang-bangers actually target people who are not gang members. The norm is gang shooting up other gangs. Feel free to disagree.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:10 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't need your sympathy. I just want some people to quit complaining about Black people. And I want to not have to worry about whether or not I'm looked down on, and the consequences that come with that.
That's not happening...

What I want is for them to fully embrace their racism. stop trying to hide behind sympathy and concern when it's really just an excuse to talk bad about Black folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies