Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 10:49 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times

Advertisements

If the venue, hotel, movie theater, etc. were held accountable for shootings, there would be a rise in security measures and probably done in a way to minimize inconvenience and maxamize safety, unlike when the govt does it ala the TSA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 10:51 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Its one reason Im starting to think the Vegas attack was a false flag, this guy paddock could not have pulled this off, there are some very strange facts on this case, one being NO surv video of him or the guns being brought in, thats just one thing.
I hope your tinfoil hat keeps you warm this winter.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:11 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The public would pay for it when they rent a room. The lines would be insane as well as having to wait for your luggage to be screened before it even gets to the front desk. Let's also talk about theft of contents along the way just like at the airport.
Doing something like this would kill the hotel industry, although it'd probably be fantastic for the RV industry and probably the timeshare industry as well since you own those, not rent.
I imagine most people would simply get in line. That's as troubling as anything.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:14 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,017,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If the venue, hotel, movie theater, etc. were held accountable for shootings, there would be a rise in security measures and probably done in a way to minimize inconvenience and maxamize safety, unlike when the govt does it ala the TSA
Why should we hold them accountable? Where does it end? Let's say that they screen for weapons, that doesn't stop me from bringing in a bunch of tainted drugs and selling them at the club inside the hotel. I can kill 60 people that way.

Bad things happen. We can't put bubble wrap around life.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:31 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
What would that look like exactly?
Armed guards at every entrance?

The families of the victims of the Aurora theater shooting sued the movie theater citing "lack of security."
They did not win their case.

"The victims — more than two dozen survivors of the shooting and parents of those killed in it — sued Cinemark in state court beginning in 2012. They alleged that security lapses — such as a lack of armed guards on duty or gaps in security camera coverage — helped enable the attack, which also wounded 70 people. A jury last month sided with Cinemark and found that the company was not liable for the shooting."

Cinemark seeks $700,000 from Aurora theater shootings victims after winning lawsuit over liability

Cinemark was awarded their $700,000.

Aurora massacre survivors ordered to pay $700G to theater - NY Daily News

The only thing that has changed here since that shooting is that there are no more midnight showings.
Now they have screenings at 7pm the night before the official opening day.
Still no metal detectors at the theaters I patronize though.
And, honestly, I'm fine with that.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:46 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
No, it's not present your papers please. It's put your bag through an x-ray machine and walk through a metal detector and be on your merry way. Really, it takes less than 20 seconds and you're done.

It's not complicated.
TSA started that way too. Now, we have to remove our shoes, separate our belongings and be nuked by god knows what. George Bush can be thanked for this lack of freedom due to acting irrationally after9-11.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:53 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,035,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
So you admit you're selfish. Doesn't matter how much it could benefit society, you're never going to do something that requires a personal sacrifice.

Australia : 13 mass shootings before it was enacted. None since 1996.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/06/a...ng-since-1996/

I'm up for reinterpretation of everything. The world is constantly changing. I'd be perfectly okay limiting hate speech and hate groups who target others based on race, gender or religious beliefs.
Not much on the Constitution, are you?

Old 10-04-2017, 04:14 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,443,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Not much on the Constitution, are you?
Why the hell should we be stuck to the letter of some antiquated text from three centuries ago? The Founding Father's were not saints, nor could they anticipate what life will be like in the 21st century. In fact, if they were reasonable, they probably would have assumed that the people would reasonably amend the thing over time as needed rather than treat it as infallible scripture.

If the Constitution is an impediment to reforms such that anyone can't easily amass 50 assault rifles, then we should amend it.

We never will, of course; I'm not that naive. But we should.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:27 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times
I can't think of anything they can change without it causing a huge hassle AND increasing the prices of things. I don't want inconvenienced and I don't want to pay one cent more for anything when I'm a tourist. Hotels don't absorb the cost of anything.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:41 PM

57,220 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
There is no way of stopping a person like this, if someone like this wants to take lives there are no easy solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies