Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 04:30 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times

Advertisements

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...-drug-in-june/

The latest mass shooter was on Diazepam.
Side effects can include:

depression
confusion
feelings of the room spinning (vertigo)
slowed or slurred speech
double or blurred vision
thoughts of suicide
memory loss

The majority of mass murderers in recent history were also on psychiatric drugs. Is there some sort of connection?

https://www.naturalnews.com/039752_m...pressants.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 04:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I would have been willing to put down some good money that he was on something. Does that prove a correlation? No. I don't understand why this isn't a bigger part of the conversation though. It's something we refuse to look into very much for some reason.

I guess people want to make sure they can get their legal drugs.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:01 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

depression
confusion
slowed or slurred speech
double or blurred vision
thoughts of suicide
memory loss

The majority of mass murderers in recent history were also on psychiatric drugs. Is there some sort of connection?

Yes. Mentally stable people don't tend to go on rampages of any kind, let alone murderous ones. Matter of fact, you can pretty much bet the farm that someone who uses humans for shooting practice is crazier than crap, like even crazy compared to garden variety mentally unstable people. People on the far end of the crazy scale are more likely to be prescribed psychotropic drugs than mentally stable people. Therefore, mass murders are more likely to be on psychotropic drugs.

While it is not out of the realm of possibility that psychotropic drugs are a triggering agent, and it should be studied, most likely you are confusing causation.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:27 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Thank you for this.

Drugs were part of the problem with Dylan Roof, and the Giffords shooter as well.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:28 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Yes. Mentally stable people don't tend to go on rampages of any kind, let alone murderous ones. Matter of fact, you can pretty much bet the farm that someone who uses humans for shooting practice is crazier than crap, like even crazy compared to garden variety mentally unstable people. People on the far end of the crazy scale are more likely to be prescribed psychotropic drugs than mentally stable people. Therefore, mass murders are more likely to be on psychotropic drugs.

While it is not out of the realm of possibility that psychotropic drugs are a triggering agent, and it should be studied, most likely you are confusing causation.
I feel there is a strong correlation. Almost every mass shooter has been on some sort of psychotropic drug. Reading the side effect warnings of these drugs violence and suicidal thoughts are often listed. You have a good point that the reason these people are ON these drugs is that they have mental health issues. The question is whether or not the drugs trigger the action. I doubt the drug manufacturers would list violence and suicidal thoughts as warnings if the drug did not sometimes trigger them.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I would have been willing to put down some good money that he was on something. Does that prove a correlation? No. I don't understand why this isn't a bigger part of the conversation though. It's something we refuse to look into very much for some reason.

I guess people want to make sure they can get their legal drugs.
They have to find out the information first. It is now a big part of the conversation. Give it time......facts are slowly coming out about how crazy he was.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:32 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Connection? Perhaps, but who knows? Millions of people (one site said 15 million) take Valium (the brand name) on a daily basis without going into murderous rages.

The linked article notes that it was prescribed, and filled, on June 21st. Yet, from what I have read, this killer was amassing his guns long before that.

However, it is an addictive drug. Perhaps the killer had a prior prescription from his home, ran out while in Vegas in June, and had a Vegas doctor prescribe it.

It is certainly food for thought (as I have said before in such threads about the possible connection between this drug and psychotic behavior). Or, perhaps Valium taken with another drug (even something like for hypertension) can cause problems. In the disability cases I have seen over the decades, those that take an anti-anxiety medication invariably are taking other medications. Far too many people take a dozen or more medications on a daily basis, and it is unknown how these various combinations will act on the person.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
They have to find out the information first. It is now a big part of the conversation. Give it time......facts are slowly coming out about how crazy he was.
Yes in this case but we have the information on previous ones and still..........

Old 10-04-2017, 05:47 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

depression
confusion
slowed or slurred speech
double or blurred vision
thoughts of suicide
memory loss

Except how long was he methodically planning it. Don't see mass murder on the list.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:50 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
His father, the convicted felon, was diagnosed by a shrink as being psychopathic -- there could be a genetic connection to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies