Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 12:54 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Hollywood glamorizes guns in many many ways. They glamorize snipers, assassins, vigilantes, military incursions, etc, etc.

Why aren't the anti-gunners really going after them, along with video game makers, as they make huge profits glamorizing gun violence?

Is it because Hollywood contributes so much money to the DNC?

Anti-gunners and liberals protesting isn't going to make a difference to the violent side of human nature. Violence sells, it's in demand and always has been throughout human history everywhere from ancient times onwards. People, liberals and conservatives alike, want to be entertained by watching violence and if the entertainment producers can profit from it they're going to give their consumers what they want. If the consumers demand for violent entertainment decreases then the entertainers will produce whatever else it is that their consumers demand.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 12:59 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
I would much rather see more nudity and sex in film then people getting endlessly killed. Except nudity sends people into a moral tizzy when wanton violence doesn't. We are an odd bunch us Americans.

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Anti-gunners and liberals protesting isn't going to make a difference to the violent side of human nature. Violence sells, it's in demand and always has been throughout human history everywhere from ancient times onwards. People, liberals and conservatives alike, want to be entertained by watching violence and if the entertainment producers can profit from it they're going to give their consumers what they want. If the consumers demand for violent entertainment decreases then the entertainers will produce whatever else it is that their consumers demand.

Yes, its what people want nowadays, heck I read comments on news stories all the time, many many people call for extremely violent deaths for criminals, especially sex offenders, its almost like they would prefer the old roman games or public executions, people today like BLOOD.

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Hollywood glamorizes guns in many many ways. They glamorize snipers, assassins, vigilantes, military incursions, etc, etc.

Why aren't the anti-gunners really going after them, along with video game makers, as they make huge profits glamorizing gun violence?

You, like many here, equate "liberals" as being one in the same as the DNC. I'm not sure why you do this.

At any rate, I don't like it. In fact, I have explicitely stopped playing games that glorify violence or guns. It's hard to do, but it is something I have definitely made a conscious effort of over the last few years.

On the movie/TV show side, I have tried to do that as well. Although, I haven't seen a movie in the theaters in years, and only watching things on Netflix - but I am conscious of the content I am consuming. I do not like the glorification of violence that is fairly embedded in our culture, and I don't really have any desire to be a part of that proliferation.

Of course, I realize that my abstaining from this entertainment is not going to stop this from happening. Just like I know not eating meat isn't going to stop people from eating meat.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:02 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
We learned the difference between Hollywood and reality by the time we were five. What a shame everybody didn't.

Whewwwwww!!!!

Old 10-04-2017, 01:02 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
So this was a good question and got me thinking about movies lately that glorify guns?

It isn't as much of a thing these days is it?

Old 10-04-2017, 01:09 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Quote:

News Flash. Hollywood guns aren't real, machine guns are.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:23 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So this was a good question and got me thinking about movies lately that glorify guns?

It isn't as much of a thing these days is it?

It isn't just about the glorification of guns. It is ALL about the glorification of violence. Of course it is a big thing these days, there has never been a time in the history of mankind when violence wasn't a "thing". Nothing has changed.

Don't you ever watch TV? There isn't a day goes by when you can't turn on your TV and find several TV shows, many of which are years long series, that feature violence and violation.

The only reason there is so much focus on guns is because guns are the easiest, most convenient and most non-hands-on method for people to threaten or commit violence. Every other form of violence not using guns requires the enactors to become more personally and physically involved which may put them at greater risk of harm to themselves. Guns are just a more cowardly way to commit violence without the enactor investing themself.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:34 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
News Flash. Hollywood guns aren't real, machine guns are.
The ideas are real and the minds of people take it in.

Do you think that if someone in a movie is wearing a cool pear of sneakers, they are going to assume they aren't real... or will they ask if they are available and where can they be purchased?

Old 10-04-2017, 03:59 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
What is hilarious about this thread is that until just a few years ago, the NRA spent a lot of time and money DEFENDING gun violence in television and the movies by essentially saying that said violence DID NOT people to commit gun violence in real life. Of course at that time the left was advocating that their WAS a connection between the two.

The last time I remember this particular position being taken by both sides was after the liberals complained about the violence in the movie "The Basketball Diaries". The left complained about gun violence influencing real life violence and of course the right said there was no correlation.

The NRA and the right wingers realized that their supporters hated Hollywood so they have now gone with vilifying Hollywood/gaming industry for gun violence in the movies. And of course the left switched over to defending Hollywood.

Truly amazing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies