Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 06:22 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
The reason these areas are low-crime neighborhoods is precisely because the bad guys know the locals are armed to the teeth, and that any criminal activity on the part of the bad guys in these neighborhoods is likely to be met with a very unwelcome response in the form of hot, spinning lead projectiles heading right their way.
People commit crime in their own neighborhoods regardless of guns. One of the things people tend to steal most IS guns. But yeah, the vast majority of people go right outside and commit crime in their area.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:26 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,674 times
When you are rural OP...you are on your own. The rural people will be sitting ducks for gangs, thieves, rapists and criminals. No one to help them but themselves. We don't want to be the UK.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:30 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
You missed what I said. I said burglars will avoid breaking into homes in areas where most people have guns not that the neighbors are criminals. If you live in a nice area criminals from other areas know this and you are a target.
First of all, burglars typically target houses during the day when people are at work, so somebody threatening them with a gun usually isn't an issue.
Quote:
Most burglaries take place between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
A burglar can target a neighborhood filled with gun owners, but since most of those gun owners won't even be home during the day when they strike, the presence of guns isn't going to be an issue.

Second, from the same link:
Quote:
The majority of break-ins are committed by burglars who live nearby.
As I said: The reason why some neighborhoods are low in crime is because they are inhabited by middle class and upper class people who have no desire to commit crime, regardless of the presence of guns. I actually work with some crime statistics in my job, and the same neighborhoods that are high in violent crime are the same ones that are high in property crime (plus, commercial areas). The reason for that is because thieves tend to commit crimes in their own neighborhoods (or nearby), whether that crime is a violent one or a property crime. These neighborhoods are filled with gun owners (hence, all the shootings) but they are still plagued with crime, both violent and property. Clearly the presence of guns in these neighborhoods are not preventing people from committing crime.

Quote:
I live in a town where a vast majority of people are armed very low crime. And middle class not high end homes. You would have to be crazy to rob or burglarize someone here because you would likely get shot.
As I already said, middle class people do not tend to commit much crime, because they don't want to. Your neighborhood is a low crime one because it is middle class, not because it has lots of guns.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:33 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Can anyone tell me why we are talking about this at all?

You have a right to do anything you want as long as you don't initiate force on others. Who cares why people have guns, don't have guns, take their guns apart and eat them, etc.

It's none of your business.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:41 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
First of all, burglars typically target houses during the day when people are at work, so somebody threatening them with a gun usually isn't an issue.

A burglar can target a neighborhood filled with gun owners, but since most of those gun owners won't even be home during the day when they strike, the presence of guns isn't going to be an issue.

Second, from the same link:

As I said: The reason why some neighborhoods are low in crime is because they are inhabited by middle class and upper class people who have no desire to commit crime, regardless of the presence of guns. I actually work with some crime statistics in my job, and the same neighborhoods that are high in violent crime are the same ones that are high in property crime (plus, commercial areas). The reason for that is because thieves tend to commit crimes in their own neighborhoods (or nearby), whether that crime is a violent one or a property crime. These neighborhoods are filled with gun owners (hence, all the shootings) but they are still plagued with crime, both violent and property. Clearly the presence of guns in these neighborhoods are not preventing people from committing crime.

As I already said, middle class people do not tend to commit much crime, because they don't want to. Your neighborhood is a low crime one because it is middle class, not because it has lots of guns.
This isn't 1980. One of my biggest sellers is home security, cameras, notifications and private security services. The bad guys days of easy pickins is about over.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:41 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
You missed what I said. I said burglars will avoid breaking into homes in areas where most people have guns not that the neighbors are criminals. If you live in a nice area criminals from other areas know this and you are a target.
And in addition to what I posted above, research has shown that the opposite is true.

The Effects of Gun Prevalence on Burglary: Deterrence vs Inducement
Quote:
The proposition that widespread gun ownership serves as a deterrent to residential burglary is widely touted by advocates, but the evidence is weak, consisting of anecdotes, interviews with burglars, casual comparisons with other countries, and the like. A more systematic exploration requires data on local rates of gun ownership and of residential burglary, and such data have only recently become available. In this paper we exploit a new well-validated proxy for local gun-ownership prevalence -- the proportion of suicides that involve firearms -- together with newly available geo-coded data from the National Crime Victimization Survey, to produce the first systematic estimates of the net effects of gun prevalence on residential burglary patterns. The importance of such empirical work stems in part from the fact that theoretical considerations do not provide much guidance in predicting the net effects of widespread gun ownership. Guns in the home may pose a threat to burglars, but also serve as an inducement, since guns are particularly valuable loot. Other things equal, a gun-rich community provides more lucrative burglary opportunities than one where guns are more sparse. The new empirical results reported here provide no support for a net deterrent effect from widespread gun ownership. Rather, our analysis concludes that residential burglary rates tend to increase with community gun prevalence.
Think about it: Most burglaries take place during the day when most people are at work. That being the case, being confronted by a homeowner with a gun isn't usually a concern for a burglar. Additionally, since guns are valuable items to steal, having a gun in the house is a further inducement to rob that house, since there will be extra booty.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:42 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Perhaps that is part of why crime is low. Burglars and robbers like unarmed victims and areas with less guns. The (white older men) gun owners you loathe are probably protecting you more than you think.
Fixed it for you, psst he focuses the racial hatred on one group of people.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:44 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
I wear my seat even though I have never been in an accident where a seatbelt was needed.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:58 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Most of these sorts of people are so physically and psychologically weak that having a gun is the only way they''l ever feel "safe".

Old 10-04-2017, 07:00 PM

513 posts, read 580,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Majority of these NRA fan gun owners that say they NEED to carry their pistol or firearm wherever they need to go, and need to be armed in the house, how many of them actually live and regularly traverse through areas that are high crime? You'd think they live in Brazil, but the vast vast majority of them, live in very stable, low crimenor virtually crime free neighborhoods?
Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps the reason these jurisdictions are virtually crime free by your own admission is because the residents are so well-armed that it deters criminal activity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I knew one such guy before, typical NRA guy. Has several shotguns in his rural house, because he was paranoid about being broken into. His neighborhood is not known for break-ins or home invasions and is in a semi-rural area.
Let me ask you this... if you were a criminal, would you burglarize his house knowing he has several shotguns, or would you choose someone you knew to be unarmed and defenseless? Has it not occurred to you that people in jurisdictions where civilian firearm ownership is defacto banned i.e. Washington DC proper, a person is much more likely to be victimized by an armed assailant than in a jurisdiction where virtually everyone and their mother is legally armed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies