Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 09:38 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Those stats require VOLUNTARY reporting of gun ownership by a household member. I don't know anybody that would answer that question if surveyed. My response, and the response of most gun owners I know would be "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS". So, I don't put much faith in those stats. I look at the record number of gun sales over the past several years, as a better barometer. These stats are certified, and reliable.
Incidentally, if telling someone you own a gun is such a private matter and "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS," then why did you just tell everyone on this board that you own a gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
II live in a nice suburb, with a low crime rate. I don't live in fear. I use guns for sport, but I do also keep them for self defense...

Old 10-04-2017, 09:41 AM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Speaking of fact, it is a fact that the US's gun ownership rate has been falling for decades.

Gun Ownership Statistics by State - Demographic Data

Now, what was that you said about gun ownership and murder rates?

Interesting, NICS background check data base shows differently. And I'm not buying the BS that it is all previous owners doing the buying.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/..._year.pdf/view

May 2017 Sets Gun Sales Record

Old 10-04-2017, 09:44 AM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
This same thing could be said for many of the right wing's pet causes too. Why do conservatives care if a gay couple want to get married? Why do conservatives care if a woman they never met wants to have an abortion?

Think you can find a bigger brush to paint with ?

I could care less about whom marries whom, and I'm pro choice. Guess I don't fit your narrative.

Again, my original questions stand. Who cares, what others do if it is legal ? Why do you ?

Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So much stupid about gun owners, so little time.

I carry because I refuse to let a goose, duck or rabbit attack me without repercussion.

As a note to the OP, not all NRA members carry.
And not all gun owners are NRA members. My husband dropped his membership long ago when he was laid off - my kids never signed up.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Interesting, NICS background check data base shows differently. And I'm not buying the BS that it is all previous owners doing the buying.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/..._year.pdf/view

May 2017 Sets Gun Sales Record
From the PDF:
Quote:
These statistics represent the number of firearm background checks initiated through the NICS. They do not represent the number of firearms sold. Based on varying state laws and purchase scenarios, a one-to one correlation cannot be made between a firearm background check and a firearm sale
You cannot determine gun ownership rates from gun sales anymore than you can determine car ownership rates from car sales or ownership rates of anything based on sales of the same. It could simply be because fewer people are buying more cars and guns, buying or replacing them more frequently, or a whole host of other reasons.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:46 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Incidentally, if telling someone you own a gun is such a private matter and "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS," then why did you just tell everyone on this board that you own a gun?

If I read the 2nd Amendment correctly, it is not only your right, but ones duty to maintain the libertiy of the Constitution, to own arms and be well regulated in their use.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:46 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Majority of these NRA fan gun owners that say they NEED to carry their pistol or firearm wherever they need to go, and need to be armed in the house, how many of them actually live and regularly traverse through areas that are high crime? You'd think they live in Brazil, but the vast vast majority of them, live in very stable, low crimenor virtually crime free neighborhoods? I knew one such guy before, typical NRA guy. Has several shotguns in his rural house, because he was paranoid about being broken into. His neighborhood is not known for break-ins or home invasions and is in a semi-rural area. What drives the psychology of such people? And how much of their influence do they have on national gun policy?
First, why are metro gun owners are not included in your scenario? Are they exempted from being questioned for carrying because meto areas are crime ridden and they are under real threat of bodily harm on a daily basis?

I live in a rural area but I dont know any rabid NRA gun supporters that feel they NEED to carry everywhere they go. I know a few who carry about 50% of the time but your average run of the mill gun owner and/or NRA supporter with a carry permit rarely carries unless they are going to a gun event or going to be in the outdoors.
Most all my neighbors have guns, including myself, and about half have carry permits. Our guns are used mainly for critter control, potentially rabid/dangerous animals, predators and nuisances animals or if we have to put down one of ours.
On a few occasions I or my neighbors (women alone) have had intruders on their property or at their door who could have been dangerous. Thankfully, they were not but we were armed in the event we needed to protect ourselves.
One particular neighbor was having troubles with an addicted relative. She asked me to move anything of value I had in her barn just in case they attempted to thieve. I asked if she was safe and she responded I have 56 reason not to be afraid (meaning 56 firearms, she is a retired officer). Its a crap shoot as to how soon the police can respond if you get a phone signal (that's sometimes a crap shoot as well).
Just a few weeks ago there was a shooter in a church here who killed one and injured others.
Personally I'm good knowing members of my community are armed.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:47 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:

I am anonymous here.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:48 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
From the PDF:

You cannot determine gun ownership rates from gun sales anymore than you can determine car ownership rates from car sales or ownership rates of anything based on sales of the same. It could simply be because fewer people are buying more cars and guns, buying or replacing them more frequently, or a whole host of other reasons.

Without an unconstitutional gun registry, it is all guessing in any chart. Pure Propaganda.
The statistics that can be measured is murder rates and violent crime rates. Compared to those that ban weapons of a certain category.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:50 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
This same thing could be said for many of the right wing's pet causes too. Why do conservatives care if a gay couple want to get married? Why do conservatives care if a woman they never met wants to have an abortion?

You're putting people in boxes just because of what they politically identified themselves as 20-60 yrs ago just so they could vote.

My guys are Republican conservatives - my best friend is a gay man - another friend just got married to her girlfriend who became a man - my guys have no beef with that.

As far as abortion - they would rather a woman have an abortion than have a drug addicted baby, someone finds the child in a garbage can, the child is abused or not taken care of ect..

Your political affiliation does not mean that you believe everything that party says lock, stock and barrel. I can't believe that there are those of you who still think like people did back in the 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies