Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 08:10 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Majority of these NRA fan gun owners that say they NEED to carry their pistol or firearm wherever they need to go, and need to be armed in the house, how many of them actually live and regularly traverse through areas that are high crime? You'd think they live in Brazil, but the vast vast majority of them, live in very stable, low crimenor virtually crime free neighborhoods? I knew one such guy before, typical NRA guy. Has several shotguns in his rural house, because he was paranoid about being broken into. His neighborhood is not known for break-ins or home invasions and is in a semi-rural area. What drives the psychology of such people? And how much of their influence do they have on national gun policy?

Old 10-04-2017, 08:12 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Oh look, another useless gun thread started by a liberal...

Old 10-04-2017, 08:12 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,426 times
How many of your neighbors houses have burned down? Do you have a smoke alarm and/or a fire extinguisher?

For the record, I have always lived in urban areas and do frequently travel through unsafe areas.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:17 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Majority of these NRA fan gun owners that say they NEED to carry their pistol or firearm wherever they need to go, and need to be armed in the house, how many of them actually live and regularly traverse through areas that are high crime? You'd think they live in Brazil, but the vast vast majority of them, live in very stable, low crimenor virtually crime free neighborhoods? I knew one such guy before, typical NRA guy. Kept loaded shotguns in his rural house, because he was paranoid about being broken into. His neighborhood is not known for break-ins or home invasions and is in a semi-rural area. What drives the psychology of such people? And how much of their influence do they have on national gun policy?
Let me explain how it works as a gun owner.

As a civilian gun owner, we are expected not to go to places we expect trouble. We are suppose to avoid those locations. We don't want to have the condition of pre meditation to be brought against us. Ie,

"So, Ms. Ounce, on that morning, you feared for your life from my client's son, so you strapped on your gun that day so to shoot him!". Now, maybe that wasn't quite the way it happened but it the counsel can get the jury to believe such an interpretation, it would not go well for me.

Therefore, we carry our guns as much if not all the legal times we can. We do so in the event that we have to use them, then that day was like any other. We had no expectation that we would have to use our gun that day for that day was like any other.

Okay? Understand now?

Old 10-04-2017, 08:20 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Let me explain how it works as a gun owner.

As a civilian gun owner, we are expected not to go to places we expect trouble. We are suppose to avoid those locations. We don't want to have the condition of pre meditation to be brought against us. Ie,

"So, Ms. Ounce, on that morning, you feared for your life from my client's son, so you strapped on your gun that day so to shoot him!". Now, maybe that wasn't quite the way it happened but it the counsel can get the jury to believe such an interpretation, it would not go well for me.

Therefore, we carry our guns as much if not all the legal times we can. We do so in the event that we have to use them, then that day was like any other. We had no expectation that we would have to use our gun that day for that day was like any other.

Okay? Understand now?
Nope, because the majority of Americans clearly don't feel the way you do, myself included. I live in a very low crime neighborhood, but there's a lot of gun owners in my area. It's unreal how heavily armed suburban and rural America are, relative to crime rates in the area.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:21 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,665 times
I'm white and live in the Atlanta suburbs. I don't own a gun but frankly it was surprising to me how many people do have one-- just in my neighborhood and church group, for example. When I was growing up it was just the hunters that had a gun. Now almost everyone is armed... lol. Sighting "protection" as the reason why they have a gun. These are the same folks that would never take public transit (I take it everyday to Atlanta for work). I swear we Americans are so friggin screwed up.... I wonder why Canada and Western Europe does not have the same mentality as we do. Just in this post alone I wonder how many people were shot in the US....

Old 10-04-2017, 08:22 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Because Fear and Anxiety Drive Conservatives' Political Attitudes. If someone is naturally fearful, you would expect that person to want to carry some sort of weapon with them everywhere they can.

Such a feeling is completely alien to me, I could not possibly imagine being so fearful and afraid that I would feel the need to carry a weapon with me everywhere I can.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:23 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I'm 72, have traveled all over the country, and never felt the need to be packing heat. I have guns at home, but they have dust on them.

I think it is false security in a lot of cases to be carrying a gun. There have been countless experiments, where people were put to the test, and the average citizen freezes and never gets to use that weapon. Sure, there are exceptions, but I think a lot of these gun toters are fooling themselves. I'm a pretty good shot, but I bet I would have trouble reacting in a really tough situation.

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
So much stupid about gun owners, so little time.

I carry because I refuse to let a goose, duck or rabbit attack me without repercussion.

As a note to the OP, not all NRA members carry.

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
This is a chicken before the egg debate.

One might say that in general an armed society is actually safer because the bad guys know that if they start something there could be a guy or gal with a concealed gun right next to him and it won't end well for them.

We have seen so many mass shootings take place in supposedly "gun free zones" and the reason for this is the criminal knows they will not face any opposition until the cops arrive.

In Vegas the guy knew that no one would be armed and even if they were they could not reach him with handguns.

Guns are a deterrent to crime because most criminals are opportunistic animals that prey on the weak and unsuspecting. A gun really levels the odds.

We could blame our society for spreading fear through the media outlets. Every night the news shows horrible events from the day that might be from across the country but in the ever shrinking world it feels like it could be the next town over.
We could also blame movies. I watched the original "death wish" last night and in that the cops were a bit reluctant to admit that having a roving vigilante actually resulted in a reduction of crime.
Guns in the hands of good people give the criminals a bit of fear and it gives the good people comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies