Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 03:22 PM

18,793 posts, read 8,415,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Getting and maintaining Level I status requires a significant investment of resources and many hospitals don't want to take the time or trouble to do it, not to mention deal with a trauma heavy patient population, many of whom tend to be uninsured. There are a lot of hospitals, including fairly large Academic Centers, that see a lot of trauma and have the full coverage from all specialties, research and reporting mechanisms etc in place, and still don't want to do it. They're content to stay at Level II. Per the article, Sunrise Hospital is a Level II and took in more patients than University Medical Center did (180 vs 104, respectively) and was able to handle it adequately.
Do you know if triage was the reason for the numbers?

UMC saved my wife's life after our 1/1/17 head on crash about 100 miles out of town on the AZ/CA border. The paramedics were first to helo her to Sunrise, but they listened to me and she went to UMC.

Interestingly enough the other day I was just about to dial up her chest/vascular surgeon before I looked up the TV and learned about the killings....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 03:24 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,586,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ans/727100001/

Sanford Fargo Medical Center | Minneapolis | Mortenson

One would think that a state with 3 million people would have more trauma centers than the city of Fargo but I guess not.

Omaha, Nebraska with 450,000 people which is a small fraction of the people as Clark County has two level 1 trauma centers in the city.

The article also state's that Boston has 7 level one trauma centers.

It is sort of interesting the disparity in the levels of medical care throughout the country that a small city in North Dakota can have the same number of trauma centers as a County of 2 million people with tens of millions of tourists yearly.

Shocking!

Not surprised you would start a thread on this.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
The OP has a long history of bashing large cities while extolling the virtues of a dump like Gilbert, AZ.

If the OP is going to dish it out he should be ready to receive in kind
Why Gilbert? It is no dump today. Mostly farms when I first moved to AZ in 1980, but with Banner MD Anderson there, they have a top notch regional cancer center.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:31 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,586,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Upon further review, I guess it is seeking level 1 status.

The fact of the matter remains though that Las Vegas was not ready to handle crisis situations with it's lackluster medical resources compared to most cities.

They certainly did the best they could, but the fact the matter remains they are way, way, way behind for a metropolitan area of it's size.

Kansas Department of Health and Environment: Trauma

Two level 1 trauma centers in Wichita with less 1/5th of the population of Clark County.

http://dhhs.ne.gov/publichealth/Nebr...0Hospitals.pdf

Omaha has about 1/5th of the population of Clark County has two level 1 trauma centers.
And Vegas medical services handled it exceptionally. So what is your point?

I am willing to bet the medical personnel in Vegas are at a much higher level than what is in Wichita. Think about how many people come through Vegas, not just the residents.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
And Vegas medical services handled it exceptionally. So what is your point?

I am willing to bet the medical personnel in Vegas are at a much higher level than what is in Wichita. Think about how many people come through Vegas, not just the residents.
Level 1 is level one.

Trauma Center Levels Explained - American Trauma Society

It would be guess if Wichita had a better chest/vascular surgeon than UMC.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:38 PM

51,616 posts, read 25,673,407 times
I love this thread.

Who moves to an area because they have a Level 1 Trauma center?

Those with terrible luck?

Who?

Old 10-05-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I love this thread.

Who?
An X-gamer?

lol

Old 10-06-2017, 01:36 PM

5 posts, read 3,660 times
Thought I would add my 2 cents!! I live in Minnesota and I believe we have several Level 1 trauma centers. So can anyone tell me what is the difference? Thanks!!

Old 10-06-2017, 01:46 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,820,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I love this thread.

Who?
Before I move to your town, I was planning on getting a massive, catastrophically life threatening injury in the next couple of weeks or so, what kind of flight time will I be looking at on the life flight? I mean, anything over 15 minutes or so is just going to be far to inconvenient for the amount of times I plan on being devastatingly injured.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Before I move to your town, I was planning on getting a massive, catastrophically life threatening injury in the next couple of weeks or so, what kind of flight time will I be looking at on the life flight? I mean, anything over 15 minutes or so is just going to be far to inconvenient for the amount of times I plan on being devastatingly injured.
This is no joke and part of ones sensible and complete life style choice on where to live. In my small town we knew/know that we cannot handle the most devastating of injuries, which have to be stabilized and flown out. But even more realistically, more advanced or serious medical conditions also may have to be shipped. So I have to take my wife to Gilbert AZ 4 hours away every 3 weeks for more advanced cancer treatment, and then spend the next 3 months down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies