Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 07:40 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,563,867 times

Advertisements

Cigarettes kill. I saw this firsthand with my mother who was a lifelong smoker. Started having bad coughing as she got older and eventually struggled just to breathe. Was tethered to oxygen her last two years dying at the relatively young age (by current standards) of 73.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 09:11 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Ive always found it strange that so many cities have opioid epidemics, the dangers of opiate prescription drugs were just starting to be recognized, but with this, the Govt/ DEA acted extremely quickly to get it under control, they enacted very tough new laws, but cigarettes, we have known quite awhile how deadly they are, why didnt the DEA, ATF, etc act as quickly in regards to tobacco as it did with prescription drugs?

Before anyone answers with 'Money or the tobacco industry', keep in mind big pharma is just as big or even bigger, so they had a very powerful industry behind them as well, and Govt STILL cracked down, so its not about money or big industry.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:23 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
My SIL smoked from the time she was 16 until she quit at 30. At 40 she got throat cancer. Doctors blamed it on her former smoking. Had Chemo. She passed away last June from Dementia at 70. Her family blamed the Chemo for her Dementia. Her parents smoked but died from other issue in their 60's; alcoholics.

Other side. Friend had Aunt and Uncle who smoked all their lives. Never married and lived together. Uncle died at 92 and Aunt at 90. Both died within 6 months of each other, and in their own home, not in nursing home. Friend's Dad still smokes. He is 88. I suppose you could make a genetic case in this family.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:36 AM

1,548 posts, read 913,607 times
They never say "causes cancer". It increases your risk of getting cancer. So yeah, I think some people have constitutions that can handle a lifetime of it, others not.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:20 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,617 times
The fact that not every smoker develops cancer is no proof that smoking doesn't highly increase the odds of developing lung cancer. There are also people who jump off of a 5 story building and survive without any injuries. That doesn't mean it would be recommended to do the same. There are no guarantees in life but you can try to increase the odds of a healthy outcome by not smoking, excercising, eating clean etc.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:14 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The first time someone smokes, they cough like hell and sometimes vomit. Seems to me that a pretty strong signal from the body saying "hey don't do this".
this. the body doesnt want that crap in your system. it will eventually get used to it if you smoke long enough though.

but given the chemicals found in tobacco, and given the propensity of smokers to develop diseases like asthma, COPD, and other respiratory diseases, and with a possible link to cancer, especially lung cancer, and with a link to heart disease, i would say there is a link. but there are people that develop these diseases and have never smoked, so there is possible predisposition there also.

but given the body of evidence, do you really want to take that chance?

Old 10-06-2017, 01:10 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Smoking causes genetic mutations. All smokers have tons of mutations all through their bodies but mostly in the lungs. The vast majority of these mutations don't harm you but the potential is always there that one of them will trigger a "cascade" of malfunctions that leads to a tumor.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:27 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
My mother and father both smoked and both died of lung cancer. I have never smoked, am 69, and doctors are amazed how good my lungs are. On a testing machine, I have the capacity of a 20 year old.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:06 PM

587 posts, read 305,028 times
Runner, mountain biker here.. I dont smoke but I lost track how many seniors I've met who are in the 70-80 year range who chain smoke, drink black coffee all day everyday .. lol most are lean and muscular as well and have their full faculties.. Of the lung cancer patients Ive met about 50% had never smoked & 50% had ..none were obese , 1) I met recently is 82 and he owns a handyman service he drives a1973 van and works in upscale homes and he's pissed off quit alot lol so stress aint hurt him a bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies