Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 07:43 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They are different countries Niger and Nigeria. Niger is a French speaking country, hence the French pronunciation. Nigeria is country to the south of Niger. It was colonized by the British and is English speaking. People from Niger are called Nigeriens with a French pronunciation, while those from Nigeria are called Nigerians.
Thank you, I heard it on the radio today and it caught my ear. Seems odd that they would all begin using the french pronunciation.

Last edited by Jimbo302; 10-19-2017 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 07:54 PM

319 posts, read 199,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Interesting segment on the Rachel Maddow show tonight ragarding Chad. Their military has been a force in fighting Biko Haram, Al Qaeda and other terror groups in Niger, Nigeria and Mali. Then Chad ended up on the new travel ban and they withdrew their forces from Niger and other countries around the end of September in response.
Trump belongs in prison.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:02 PM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
This is beyond stupid, one of our best allies in the region and we need to insult them with a travel ban. They retaliate by withdrawing their troops from Niger and Nigeria.

Quote:
Ever since the Trump administration unveiled the latest edition of its travel ban on Sept. 24, many observers have been puzzled by the inclusion of Chad on the list. Chad was not previously known as a major source of anti-U.S. terror plots, at least no more than several countries that aren’t on the list, and is in fact considered an important regional counterterrorism partner of the U.S. We now know the answer—and it’s very dumb

Trump put Chad on the travel ban because of passport paper.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:25 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Interesting segment on the Rachel Maddow show tonight ragarding Chad. Their military has been a force in fighting Biko Haram, Al Qaeda and other terror groups in Niger, Nigeria and Mali. Then Chad ended up on the new travel ban and they withdrew their forces from Niger and other countries around the end of September in response.
President Dummy strikes again.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:54 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
There are perfectly rational, logical and reasonable explanations for just about anything and everything - but the real question was whether the "command" referred to the US Constitution and the fact that only Congress can declare and fund war.

Not to say they are doing their part.....they have abdicated all responsibility also.

I remember those good ole days like in the 1980s when we were fighting almost.....nowhere. Now we are occupying and/or threatening a large part of the world.

Not only don't we have the resources to back up or "win" on these actions, but the resulting degradation of our position in the world as ANY kind of an honest broker is down the tubes. In other words, we no longer can speak from a position of being the "good guys". That is perhaps the biggest change.
I thought the same things years ago. After my husband changed his job and was able to open up a little more, I then realized it is really not that simple. There is so much more going on that they can talk about.

I also asked and questioned this during Obama's terms how we can still be over there. If I remember correctly it falls under the same reason Obama was able to keep troops there from something from Bush's administration.
We are working side by side with other countries for the common reason to defeat ISIS and other terrorist groups. Could you imagine how many more SF guys our country could have lost if the French didn't come in to help evacuate in Niger. There are some unanswered questions dealing with this whole thing, I can pretty much guarantee we won't hear much from the military aspect.

I also miss the 80's only for my kids sake and also that things were more simple. Things could have been just as crazy in the 80's but we would not have known it because we didn't have the information at our fingertips as we do today. Also we didn't have forums or social media either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
This could be huge. McCain knows something is foul about U.S. soldiers fighting in Niger. He sure did mention possibly pulling out the subpoena card very early.
If he knew something was foul, how come he didn't try to get troops out years ago?

Last edited by ladybug07; 10-19-2017 at 09:03 PM..

Old 10-19-2017, 10:20 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
This could be huge. McCain knows something is foul about U.S. soldiers fighting in Niger. He sure did mention possibly pulling out the subpoena card very early.
McCain has never seen a war he wouldn't support.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:57 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times
The same number of Americans (4) were killed in the recent Niger attack as were in the Benghazi incident. Insufficient support was a factor in both. Benghazi had many months of multiple hearings spearheaded by Republicans in congress. I suspect most of these hypocrites will be unusually quiet this time around. Then again, it was admitted by top Republicans that Benghazi was just a political witch hunt meant to damage HRC for a potential presidential run. It really had nothing to do about finding out the reasons for it and making changes to avoid such tragedies in the future.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:04 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I'm sure this is based on your vast knowledge of military procedures and policy.
Nice deflection.

Interesting that you didn't/couldn't/wouldn't address the core of my statement which is whether or not 45 actually has any genuine respect for the military.

It's okay. I understand not being able to defend the indefensible.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The same number of Americans (4) were killed in the recent Niger attack as were in the Benghazi incident. Insufficient support was a factor in both. Benghazi had many months of multiple hearings spearheaded by Republicans in congress. I suspect most of these hypocrites will be unusually quiet this time around. Then again, it was admitted by top Republicans that Benghazi was just a political witch hunt meant to damage HRC for a potential presidential run. It really had nothing to do about finding out the reasons for it and making changes to avoid such tragedies in the future.
Would we have had the hearings if we hadn't had the administration lying to us and blaming innocent individuals for the attack?

Old 10-20-2017, 10:36 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Nobody claimed this attack was a peaceful protest gone amuck caused by a video. So many differences, the analogy is anti-Trump garbage.

Niger will be relatively simple. The military command got sloppy and careless, and intelligence flopped.

How the WH dealt with the post-attack information and why we're there are different issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies