Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Do you think Dannon over reacted? In a statement they said they were shocked and disheartened by Cam's behavior. I kinda think they're making a bigger deal out of this than needs to be.
I do think they overreacted. In today's world you can't misstep because you'll pay for it, so it was stupid on his part, but was it so egregious they needed to drop him?

People have lost their damn minds. While everyone is busy focusing on perceived offenses and wrongs, and demanding apologizies for them, and going after the person anyway - we have real issues we should all be concentrating on. Instead we have one food fight in the cafeteria after the next.

500 lives will never be the same again - 58 lives lost with families that will feel pain every day for the rest of their lives and people are going crazy about a benign comment from an athlete?

Our priorities are a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:53 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Yeah, that's why he's already lost an endorsement and maybe more lol Sorry, he's not a big bad man. He's a little man who feels superior. It is going to cost him. She is a reporter and him belittling her is not ok. Honestly, I have no idea why you men keep trying to bring women down.
LOL. We do it to each other all the time. If you can't stand the cool, get back in the kitchen.

P.S. Thank you for proving my point.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:34 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
A woman who wants to be taken seriously as a sports journalist needs to grow a tougher skin. And our society needs to make up its mind whether women are really equal to men or just helpless little flowers who need to be protected from criticism and mild ridicule.
Cam Newton and other sports people can sometimes act jerky. And I personally find his persona to be rather arrogant (he may be an okay guy, but he just has some maturing to do IMO) and his comment really could have been left off. BUT I wholeheartedly agree with you that these women who complain about every perceived insult do need thicker skin, especially when some of these so called feminists don't think twice before saying something patronizing about a male. Amazingly these rules and "sensitivity training" don't apply to them, because they want special treatment.

Take the nauseating term that has become popular recently, the "man cave." If men were being oversensitive like this reporter was, they would call women out for using such a term, because it's patronizing towards men, by implying they are Neanderthals, who retreat to their cave like cave men and watch sports, and drink lots of beer and burp. But when is the last time a man has whined about this term being sexist and demanded a public apology, or the home and decorating "reality" show's sponsors have pulled their advertising because of this use of sexist terminology? No, most men either don't pay any attention to it or brush it off, laugh, and go about their business. That's just one example among many situations like it.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:39 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
I live in the Charlotte metro.

I'm simply tired of hearing about it constantly on the local news.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Do you think Dannon over reacted? In a statement they said they were shocked and disheartened by Cam's behavior. I kinda think they're making a bigger deal out of this than needs to be.
Hey. You're talking about people who make their living breeding bacteria. What do you expect?

Old 10-06-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I live in the Charlotte metro.

I'm simply tired of hearing about it constantly on the local news.
Hey -- the Confederate statues are all gone. What else do they have to talk about?

Old 10-06-2017, 12:57 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
He offended a female reporter asking questions about a game she is knowledgeable about. This just didn't offend her. It offended many. Her tweets don't matter. Why do you have to find something wrong with her in order to defend Cam
the hypocrisy of someone laughing with racist things, but is offended that athlete was surprised that she knew about routes. Glass houses. Don't put out that type of energy if you can't take it. I have no sympathy for her.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:23 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
the hypocrisy of someone laughing with racist things, but is offended that athlete was surprised that she knew about routes. Glass houses. Don't put out that type of energy if you can't take it. I have no sympathy for her.
yup, she lost on this one.

I wouldn't be surprised if she loses her job over those tweets.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:37 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
When I saw the blip on the local news this morning that "Cam Newton apologizes for comments" and heard the anchor talking about Danon dropping their ties with Newton, I thought, "wow, what awful thing did Cam say?"

Then I heard what he actually said, and while I agree that it probably wasn't the most polite remark and would have been better left unsaid (especially in today's environment where a well known person's every word is hung onto and over-analyzed), it's going to be exaggerated way out of proportion.

It's one more double standard where men have been backed into a corner by radical feminists with an agenda solely aimed at bashing and disparaging men. Had there been a figure skating event and a male reporter interviewing the figure skater made a remark on how lovely the sequins on her outfit were, and the female skater remarked "it's funny to hear a male reporter talking about how lovely my sequins are", we clearly wouldn't have the same kind of reaction.

That is like the argument that calling a white guy a cracker is the same as calling a black guy the N word. It isn't.

Like African Americans woman reporters in sports have had an uphill climb. They faced obstacle white men simply did not face, they are still fighting the perception that women know nothing about sports and don't belong.

Put yourself in that reporter's shoes. She fought hard to earn her spot, Cam basically said "you don't belong".

Old 10-06-2017, 02:01 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Women know plenty about sports.

It’s just that the ones hired to commentate on pro football don’t know jack about pro football. Their bra got them the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies