Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 01:44 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Jimmy Kimmel has been famous lately about health care and guns, but listening to him is like reading posts from many liberals here on CD. They repeat the same debunked crap over and over again as if they were spreading gospels.

Of course, if anybody disagrees with them, the person must be the worst human garbage ever existed.

If we can't have an honest and rational discussion, what's the point of talking to each other?

I am often not so sure they are just ignorant or they are just pathological liars. If someone posts something, wouldn't we all respect the poster has at least done some research? I'd think Jimmy Kimmel has a team of people doing research for him. He can't be ignorant, can he? Is he a pathological liar then? I would be so embarrassed that I'd quit if I were him.

So what is it? Ignorance, deliberately lying or another explanation?

(Yes, I know politicians lie. I hate it when Trump, Obama, Clinton, Bush's lies just as much.)

For example, these are all completely false - this is NOT a gun control debate. I am just using these as examples:

1. "In February, he also signed a bill that made it easier for people with severe mental illness to buy guns legally."

2. "In June of last year, the NRA fought to make sure people on the no-fly list can buy guns. They aren’t allowed to get on a plane; they’re allowed to own a very dangerous gun. Who thinks that makes sense?! Them, I guess, the people who voted with the NRA."

3. "Maybe I’m nuts, but I would like to think we could put politics aside and agree that no American citizen needs an M-16 or 10 of them. And maybe that way, we don’t do this again. And that seems very reasonable to me."

4. "Right now, there are loopholes in the law that let people avoid background checks if they buy a gun privately from another party, if they buy a gun online or at a gun show."

Read Jimmy Kimmel's Monologue on the Las Vegas Shooting | Time.com

Please watch this. It answers all your questions you just asked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Reo4sSOBTj8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 01:53 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,162,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Please watch this. It answers all your questions you just asked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Reo4sSOBTj8

Are you kidding me?

This is your answer to presenting a rational debate?

Less than one minute in...

"The left have merged with ISIS".

Tells everyone all they need to know, thanks.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:56 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Could you please provide some examples? I can certainly cite Jimmy Kimmel's speech and give you a blow by blow on every verifiable lie he told.
You characterized a Jimmy Kimmel comment as a lie, when it was just an opinion. Jimmy's opinion is that American citizens don't need M-16's. That is problematic.

When your starting point is that everything the person you disagree with says is a lie, rather than accepting that others have differing opinions, then you won't be able to have a discourse.

I have numerous conservative friends. We have some serious political discussions, and we have political discussions that are just poking fun at one another. I'm not a liar. I know they aren't liars. Our discussions often evolve into conversations about credible sources. Arguments often end with concessions that what we all have in common is that we want the best for our country. We may disagree on what that is, but knowing that we each do want what's best allows us to find common ground a lot of the time.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:58 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Are you kidding me?

This is your answer to presenting a rational debate?

Less than one minute in...

"The left have merged with ISIS".

Tells everyone all they need to know, thanks.

Seem like your picking and choosing quotes. Something the main stream media does quite often.... Less than one minute? Its a one hour video

If you actually listened to the video. It hits multiple points that the OP asked.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:04 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,162,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Seem like your picking and choosing quotes. Something the main stream media does quite often.... Less than one minute? Its a one hour video

If you actually listened to the video. It hits multiple points that the OP asked.
No rational debate can be had from someone whose opening comment is:
"The left has merged with ISIS".

Old 10-05-2017, 02:05 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,317,575 times
Quote:

<snip>
For example, these are all completely false - this is NOT a gun control debate. I am just using these as examples:

1. "In February, he also signed a bill that made it easier for people with severe mental illness to buy guns legally."

2. "In June of last year, the NRA fought to make sure people on the no-fly list can buy guns. They aren’t allowed to get on a plane; they’re allowed to own a very dangerous gun. Who thinks that makes sense?! Them, I guess, the people who voted with the NRA."

3. "Maybe I’m nuts, but I would like to think we could put politics aside and agree that no American citizen needs an M-16 or 10 of them. And maybe that way, we don’t do this again. And that seems very reasonable to me."

4. "Right now, there are loopholes in the law that let people avoid background checks if they buy a gun privately from another party, if they buy a gun online or at a gun show."

Read Jimmy Kimmel's Monologue on the Las Vegas Shooting | Time.com
In response to #1.

The SSA rulemaking was issued in the waning weeks of Obama’s presidency and targeted those receiving disability insurance or Supplementary Security Income based on SSA’s listed mental disorders and who were appointed a “representative payee” to help them manage their benefits. The agency –for the first time in its history– sought to portray these individuals as “mental defectives” who were prohibited from acquiring or possessing firearms under federal law. It had planned to notify them of their prohibited status and to report them to NICS.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...hibition-rule#

I took that from an NRA site so you can't call it fake news (unless you want). Someone whose mental health is so bad that they cannot hold a job doesn't need to have tax payers buy them a gun and ammunition. Even if you don't agree Kimmel did not lie.

Here is the statement from the NRA on the no fly thing:

Fairfax, Va.— The executive director of the National Rifle Association's Institute for Legislative Action, Chris W. Cox, released the following statement regarding terror watchlists:

We are happy to meet with Donald Trump. The NRA's position on this issue has not changed. The NRA believes that terrorists should not be allowed to purchase or possess firearms, period. Anyone on a terror watchlist who tries to buy a gun should be thoroughly investigated by the FBI and the sale delayed while the investigation is ongoing. If an investigation uncovers evidence of terrorist activity or involvement, the government should be allowed to immediately go to court, block the sale, and arrest the terrorist. At the same time, due process protections should be put in place that allow law-abiding Americans who are wrongly put on a watchlist to be removed. That has been the position of Sen. John Cornyn (R.-Tex.) and a majority of the U.S. Senate. Sadly, President Obama and his allies would prefer to play politics with this issue.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2016...ror-watchlists

So it appears #2 is not a lie either. Of course no one wants a terrorist to be able to buy guns but just because you're on the NoFly list shouldn't disqualify you.

#3 is an opinion unless you are stating that people cannot legally buy m-16s now. I don't know the different kinds of guns so I don't know if you can or can't.

#4 I already responded to that it is an accurate statement by Kimmel.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:10 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,698,753 times
Your title is untrue, because, you are not trying to do any such thing.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:14 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
I don't recall there was an explanation. Could you post it one more time for me please?
No, I won't spend my time explaining stuff to people who don't listen to the responses they get.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:17 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Of course, if anybody disagrees with them, the person must be the worst human garbage ever existed.

If we can't have an honest and rational discussion, what's the point of talking to each other?
This does not seem like an honest and rational way to begin such discussion. If you want to engage someone you do not disagree with, try to open the discussion without accusations, especially false ones.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:22 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,279 times
Liberals always talk about wanting to have discussion and "national dialog" about issues, but what they really mean is a monologue from them to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies