Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 01:54 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
The fact that you don't do it in certain situations means that you should know it's not cool. Furthermore, the situations you choose not to do it actually shows that you have little respect for women but much more for their SO, parents and kids.
Doing a fist pump and a "hell yeah" after seeing a game score pop up on your phone when waiting to checkout at the grocery store is appropriate, at a funeral, not so much.

I guess understanding different circumstances goes out the window when your battling a PC crusade.

In college, did you not even hear rumors about Spring Break?

If you did, were you shocked about the things that went on?

Last edited by PedroMartinez; 10-09-2017 at 02:31 PM..

Old 10-09-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
My husband points out attractive women to me. Again, the difference being is that he doesn't catcall. He respects women.

And yes, I am ok with him pointing out attractive people to me.
But he objectifies them based on outward appearance in your presence. Got it.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:59 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Seriously. I mean, how would I know if my breasts exist without a man commenting on them as I walk down the street?
Is that like the "tree falls in the forest" type philosophical question?

LOL, sorry I couldn't resist.

The bottom line is that these behaviors are driven by cultural norms.

Specific to the US, I think it's widely considered boorish behavior but there are definitely cultural segments where the behavior is more mainstream. (Again think urban)

I do think there is some grey area around WHAT is yelled....I've seen guys AND girls wind up hanging out and hooking up with street call-outs....but what's acceptable can vary by where you're at and what you are doing like 2PM walking into grocery is a whole lot different than out at 1AM bar crawling.

All in all, I don't agree with catcalling I'm just defining some of the grey area around it as there is definitely a range of language that can be used.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:06 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Doing a fist pump and a "hell hash" after seeing a game score pop up on your phone when waiting to checkout at the grocery store is appropriate, at a funeral, not so much.

I guess understanding different circumstances goes out the window when your battling a PC crusade.

In college, did you not even hear rumors about Spring Break?

If you did, were you shocked about the things that went on?
Why is it appropriate to say something when they are alone? Why is it ok for you to say something to 20somethings? I guarantee that they are not interested in what old, married guys think.

Of course I know about spring break. The thing is that the people are the same age and are there to party. That is different than random guys saying things when you're on the street.

I'm dying to know what you would do if your wife or daughter came home and told you that a bunch of guys said nasty things to them.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Why is it appropriate to say something when they are alone? Why is it ok for you to say something to 20somethings? I guarantee that they are not interested in what old, married guys think.

Of course I know about spring break. The thing is that the people are the same age and are there to party. That is different than random guys saying things when you're on the street.

I'm dying to know what you would do if your wife or daughter came home and told you that a bunch of guys said nasty things to them.
So, you think when a guy at the beach during spring break yells out to a girl passing by with her friends "wow, you look hot", that's nasty or that isn't a cat call?

What makes it not a cat call?

Old 10-09-2017, 02:18 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Quote:
So, you think when a guy at the beach during spring break yells out to a girl passing by with her friends "wow, you look hot", that's nasty or that isn't a cat call?

What makes it not a cat call?
It's still a cat call but it's less unexpected.

Here's a good idea, look, think, fantasize, pleasure yourself, whatever but keep your mouth shut. No woman is creaming herself bc you think she's hot.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
It's still a cat call but it's less unexpected.

Here's a good idea, look, think, fantasize, pleasure yourself, whatever but keep your mouth shut. No woman is creaming herself bc you think she's hot.
Spring break must have been fairly traumatic for some of you, if you went.

I'm guessing clubs must have been an issue as well, because at all the clubs I went to, people would say things as others of the opposite sex passed by. Those would also be cat calls.

Please don't backtrack and say that sometimes cat calls aren't inappropriate.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:24 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Specific to the US, I think it's widely considered boorish behavior but there are definitely cultural segments where the behavior is more mainstream. (Again think urban)

I do think there is some grey area around WHAT is yelled....I've seen guys AND girls wind up hanging out and hooking up with street call-outs....but what's acceptable can vary by where you're at and what you are doing like 2PM walking into grocery is a whole lot different than out at 1AM bar crawling.

All in all, I don't agree with catcalling I'm just defining some of the grey area around it as there is definitely a range of language that can be used.
In my experience, people who go to bars are not looking for a long lasting relationship. So most likely these people are cool with the catcalling and get out of it whatever they went to this bar to get. Catcalls are probably a form of flirting in these types of environments. So I can agree with you about the grey area around it.

The original topic here, was a woman merely walking down the street minding her own business. People automatically assumed because she posted about it on IG that she is a fame ***** and loves the attention these guys gave her. Then we get the Pedros of the world posting that all women want to be catcalled and dress a certain way to flaunt themselves so that men will admire them and hoot and holler.

I do not like catcalls. I also do not consider all comments or gestures to be catcalls. If a guy says hello to me, I say hello back. If a guy holds the door for me, I say thank you. If a guy tells me I have a nice smile, I say thank you. If a guy follows me down the street, I am uncomfortable and my guard is up. If a guy yells at me " Hey baby!" and throws a thumbs up, I roll my eyes. If a guy tells me I have a nice rack, I tell him to F off.

Women are allowed to want to look nice and feel attractive for whatever reasons they choose. Some men need to learn some manners. I'm thankful to the men who have manners.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
In my experience, people who go to bars are not looking for a long lasting relationship. So most likely these people are cool with the catcalling and get out of it whatever they went to this bar to get. Catcalls are probably a form of flirting in these types of environments. So I can agree with you about the grey area around it.

The original topic here, was a woman merely walking down the street minding her own business. People automatically assumed because she posted about it on IG that she is a fame ***** and loves the attention these guys gave her. Then we get the Pedros of the world posting that all women want to be catcalled and dress a certain way to flaunt themselves so that men will admire them and hoot and holler.

I do not like catcalls. I also do not consider all comments or gestures to be catcalls. If a guy says hello to me, I say hello back. If a guy holds the door for me, I say thank you. If a guy tells me I have a nice smile, I say thank you. If a guy follows me down the street, I am uncomfortable and my guard is up. If a guy yells at me " Hey baby!" and throws a thumbs up, I roll my eyes. If a guy tells me I have a nice rack, I tell him to F off.

Women are allowed to want to look nice and feel attractive for whatever reasons they choose. Some men need to learn some manners. I'm thankful to the men who have manners.
So, there is a time, place and environment where cat calls are ok?

Old 10-09-2017, 02:33 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
It reminds me of when women in their 40's talk about nice guys. When these same women were in their 20's, they weren't bragging about the sweet nerd who asked them to go to the movies.
Nor do men (at any age) brag about the chubby girl with the nice personality.

There's a whole lot of whining going on from both genders now about things that are pretty normal. Guys doing some cat calling is normal and young women preferring hot guys over awkward nerds is normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies