Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 03:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 4,357,906 times

Advertisements

People are afraid of offending someone. So what! Being offended does nothing. Grow up, deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 04:10 PM

11,336 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Can we have a "Victim Mentality Day" This will appease all the snowflakes who get upset over every little thing.
No way....then we would have to celebrate them 365 days a year.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:28 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
The Austin City Council is truly a pathetic group of people. They love to raise taxes and spend the taxpayers money on anything that increases their power and rewrites history to support their agenda.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:49 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I find issues like Columbus Day are mostly promoted by people who themselves would never make a sacrifice to give something they have back to Native Americans but want to use the issue to feel morally superior to people of the opposite opinion on renaming the day. If they really thought the land was stolen why don't they give their part back? It's kind of like berating someone who won't admit they are driving a stolen car yet they won't stop driving their own stolen car. This is an issue where Liberals have become the Religious Right: do as I say, not as I do.

I don't care one way or another about celebrating Columbus Day but historically speaking I don't see how he is any worse than any other person who helped a stronger people displace a weaker people. It has happened constantly through human history. What is the magic day in history we should go back to where everyone has to be in their 'ancestral' homeland? Should all Turkish people give the western half of Turkey back to Greeks? Should Anglo Saxons leave Britain and go back to Germany? Should Russia give back land east of the Urals? Should all human beings move back to East Africa?

Old 10-08-2017, 04:54 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Again, I ask: what should we have a federal holiday dedicated to a man who was not American, and never set foot inside the country? I’m waiting for a legitimate answer. Columbus Day was always stupid, pc or no pc.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:52 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Can we have a "Victim Mentality Day" This will appease all the snowflakes who get upset over every little thing.
Sadly, they'd need more than just a day...#VictimMentalityMonth.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:57 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,490,983 times
Quote:

Are we talking about the same state that the U.S outright stole from mexico?

Old 10-08-2017, 09:04 PM

487 posts, read 544,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_wuz_here View Post
Without slavery in africa, American slavery wouldn't exist. Maybe we should stop black history month since so many of the activist promoted violent riots. See how this can go both ways? Do you think MLK only had peaceful protests? My parents lived the era and I got the first hand non-textbook version of what went down and it wasn't pretty once he left town. So maybe we should change MLK day too? This is easy, we can do it with everybody. 4th of july? Look how much violence was caused by the colonialist!
This would never happen, yet they think nothing of pushing Columbus Day off the calendar......a day when Italian Americans celebrate their heritage. Was Columbus perfect, no.......he lived in a completely different time. All people then and now have flaws or they would not be human. I lived through the MLK era. I respect him and what he did, but I like your parents do remember when it was not always peaceful, although not condone by him.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:06 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,490,983 times
Quote:

Do you live in Austin? My guess is not and you just want to stir trouble. Even with fake news,

Old 10-08-2017, 09:33 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Lol @ Indigenous People's Day. When all the confederate civil war statues were in dispute the liberals said that we should not celebrate the losers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies