Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 09:35 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
AUSTIN is the shining star in the nation's most indebted state. TX is a TAKER state, they have massive debt and a massive ego. AUSTIN is the lone star city providing great jobs, and a great future for TX.

I see no issue with ending the "columbus" myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 09:40 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post

The downtown area has hordes of homeless ... Its almost embarrassing , especially when theres people using the conference center.
What do you suggest they do with them?

Old 10-06-2017, 09:51 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's a federal holiday not a state or city one, that's why!
What a weird view of things. There is nothing that requires a state or city to observe a federal holiday. (And vice versa of course.) Not to mention an individual, organization, or business. And in fact, not even all federal employees and/or agencies close down on federal holidays, although federal employees that are required to work on a federal holiday will get comp time.

You don't seem to understand the meaning of the word 'federal'. Or 'holiday'. Or how the modern workplace works.

If the citizens of Austin wish to not honor Columbus on Oct 12, but honor something/someone else instead, that is entirely their prerogative. And neither you nor anyone else can prevent them from doing so.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:54 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I live outside of Austin. Its been hijacked by California liberals. Its surrounded by red though. Thank God.

The downtown area has hordes of homeless like California. Its almost embarrassing , especially when theres people using the conference center.

BULL.

Austin travis county has a pop of just under 1 million and 2,000 and change homeless. (one in 480 people)

DALLAS has a pop of 1.3 million and over 3,000 homeless. (one in 420 people)

so what we really have is your prejudice against liberals burning through.

Dallas has a worse problem than Austin.

But to be clear neither city is that bad at all, what we really have is YOU making a baseless attack on austin. And based on your "California liberals" BS my guess is you are just a trumper looking to be nasty and attack some libs...

Old 10-06-2017, 09:56 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Can we have a "Victim Mentality Day" This will appease all the snowflakes who get upset over every little thing.
Says the biggest snowflake of them all. getting so upset by such a little thing..........

Old 10-06-2017, 10:03 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Columbus was who he was, but that is no excuse for us educated folks bathing him in glory. In his journals he opined the ease of which "fifty of my men" could easily overpower the native populace, he saw this opportunity as the natives were swimming out to his ship bringing presents of food and fresh water. Definitely not someone who should be celebrated in modern context.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:09 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
BULL.

Austin travis county has a pop of just under 1 million and 2,000 and change homeless. (one in 480 people)

DALLAS has a pop of 1.3 million and over 3,000 homeless. (one in 420 people)

so what we really have is your prejudice against liberals burning through.

Dallas has a worse problem than Austin.

But to be clear neither city is that bad at all, what we really have is YOU making a baseless attack on austin. And based on your "California liberals" BS my guess is you are just a trumper looking to be nasty and attack some libs...

I see tons of homeless every day . Some of them are aggressive . They are even in the outskirts in northern austin. Every corner theres someone with a sign. I give them water bottles but they won't get a dime out of me. Some even have animals, kids etc...

Im not making an attack. I live here. Its called "observing" . I observe multiple homeless people from Northern austin to the city. All the way east towards the airport... The difference here , is they are more aggressive .

Here is a good example from last year.........

Just when the Austin Convention Center is planning an expansion, a client says they're not coming back.

FOX 7 obtained a memo from an association that said attendees were so aggressively accosted by the homeless that they will no longer consider Austin as a venue site.

Association won't return to Austin Convention Center because of "aggressive" homeless population - Story | KTBC

Old 10-06-2017, 10:09 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm Italian decent and it doesn't bother me at all. Technically, Columbus couldn't have been Italian since Italy wouldn't be a country for more than another 300 years. He represented Spain not Italy.
Besides, many Native Americans weren't peace loving at all. They waged war against each other and enslaved each other. They are also being blamed for the extinction of several large animal species of North and South America because they over hunted and were not environmentally very friendly.
At the end of the day, there's not a whole lot of difference except the Europeans were much more advanced and therefore couldn't be stopped from conquering the entire Western Hemisphere. People are people.
True enough.

Columbus was a mercenary for hire. He was courageous and bright, but he was in it to enrich himself (as it turns out, it didn't go as well for him as he had hoped).

The native Americans were stone age people throughout the continent and all of the islands. They had their own sense of crude justice and were just as prone to violence as people anywhere. Unfortunately for them it was the Europeans who came upon the America's, not the Americans who came upon Europe. The meeting of these peoples was destined to turn out badly for someone.

Nonetheless, the story of European colonization of the America's is full of tragedy. We would do well to reflect upon that.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:10 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Let's just change President's Day to Adolph Hitler Day. We can celebrate another torturing mass murderer that way. And it'll ***** off the snowflakes even more, which is what we need! :high five:

Old 10-06-2017, 10:11 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
What do you suggest they do with them?
I suggest that we help them get off their lazy butts and go get jobs. Austin is plentiful with jobs. My brother moved here jobless and found a job in 1 week.

The jobs are here and are plentiful. These people just don't want to work and suffer from addictions. Plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies