Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 03:33 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Paying for birth control is waaaayyyyy cheaper than paying for labor and delivery, or a C-section, or the medical costs associated with raising a child.

Do you consider childbirth a lifestyle event that shouldn't be covered by insurance?
The discussion is about lifestyle medications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Married people have TWO incomes and loads of tax breaks, so should be able to pay for their own lifestyle choices.
Loads of tax breaks? You must be kidding.

We paid more in taxes last year than is the mean household income, and we're middle class (IMO).

We rent, have no kids, and aside from retirement accounts, are in no circumstances whatsoever that would entitle us to any real tax breaks.

We can afford our reproductive choices, but I'm not thrilled about policies that are only going to result in more babies being born, and mainly to parents who can't afford to support them properly. Say bye-bye to tax dollars!

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Yes. I am single-handedly killing "us" (whoever that is) with my contraception being billed to my insurance company. Killing "us" is my goal every month and I am thrilled to hear my plan is working.
Perfect example of the "entitlement" welfare mentality. Force others to pay for my stupid life. That's what they are there for.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:36 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
It's ridiculous to require businesses to pay for birth control, so I support the decision.

I also believe that insurance companies should cover birth control like any other prescription medication. Unless it's a special case, I don't see how it's an essential drug for anyone.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Employers should provide employment to workers.
Government should provide access to affordable healthcare for all.
No, government should NOT provide any health care to anyone, affordable or otherwise. Private insurance is available to handle this risk, or it would be if it the government hadn't corrupted and perverted the entire system by de facto conversion to an entitlement program.

Health care is a service, not a right. No one has a right to health care. It is something to be purchased, it is a trade. No one has the right to compel others to pay for their health care in a moral society.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
They might "believe" that - but that will never stop sex outside of marriage or for reasons other than procreation from happening.

Abstinence is never going to happen, and I wish these fools would realize it.

You are wrong. Plenty of people control their impulses and do not treat sex like taking a crap. Abstinence does happen and can happen, to people of character, that is.

Are you not one of those?

Old 10-06-2017, 03:48 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Perfect example of the "entitlement" welfare mentality. Force others to pay for my stupid life. That's what they are there for.
Yes. I AM entitled to use my insurance plan as it's designed.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:50 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
You are wrong. Plenty of people control their impulses and do not treat sex like taking a crap. Abstinence does happen and can happen, to people of character, that is.

LOL. I thought only teenaged girls with purity rings were proud to abstain from sex?

Old 10-06-2017, 04:05 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:

Abstinence at a societal level will never work. It has never worked. And it will not work. Even in the most conservative of places, "unauthorized" sex happens. You are being unbelievably naive.

The better method is to be honest about the reality of sex in this world. People want to have it. We should accept that. It is not evil. It is not wrong. There is nothing legally wrong with it. It is very natural to want to have sex, and to have sex.

I'm not saying we need to have sex daily, or hourly (and of course people can control their "impulses"...what are you even talking about??) - but there is no reason, other than religion really, that people aren't allowed to have sex when they would like. And we are not a religious country...so, why would abstinence be something that we would try to institute policy for?

Let them have sex. And educate them on it! Especially as it relates to birth control or contraceptive measures.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:07 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
I would like to see all birth control paid for by the person using it, out of personal income. Pregnancy and its prevention is not an illness, it is a lifestyle choice. Therefore I see no reason to socialize its costs. All birth control expenses should be paid for in full by the individual who incurs them. Employers should provide employment, not birth control.
Agree....I never understood all the back & forth over the years...being a woman, I went to the doctor, got a script, went to pharmacy & BAM! Done.

Clearly, I haven't figured out the "I want everything for free!" lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies