Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 03:04 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I love how liberals want to argue in absolutes, which is ridiculous. We have VERY heavily regulated markets. Where did I, or anyone advocate for unregulated markets? We DON'T need the incompetent government setting wages, nor prices for products which they've done before with disastrous results.
Right!! IMO, mandated MW seems like a (privatized) SUBSIDY. And, how many subsidies have really helped get ‘more of something’ like we thought, without actually being a near disaster?

Student loans/Tuition hikes?

Subsidies don’t only affect elements of the economy that you “wish” them to (we should have learned by now But, not so much, I guess..... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 03:08 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
How do you pay extra taxes?
Seriously? well, you could overstate your income; decline to state some write-offs. Besides that, there is likely a way to make a real donation to the government.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:16 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I worked at a well paid job in a low paid industry, and several increases of the minimum wage, resulted in my wages stagnating over a period of years to compensate for those minimum wage increases.

The job stopped being attractive financially and I left, and it didn't attract newcomers -it's now a job where about 70% of the workers are migrant workers from the Pacific islands.

While I think people should receive a livable wage, too high of a minimum wage, can adversely affect those a bit higher up the ladder.
I don't see the negative policy outcome from the fact that you voluntarily left your job and even more so don't see the negative outcome that someone Asian is doing your job (again after you voluntarily left).
Your post is baffling.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:26 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Conservative utopia - Bring back sweat shops, corporate towns, pay people $2.00/hr, make the govt subsidize corporate America, healthcare costs $1,000.00 a month, tax code has loopholes in it that all wealthy people abuse, everyone is fooled and thinks trickle down economics actually works - then the wealthy moves all of their money overseas, and nothing trickles down. .

Old 10-08-2017, 03:35 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Conservative utopia - Bring back sweat shops, corporate towns, pay people $2.00/hr, make the govt subsidize corporate America, healthcare costs $1,000.00 a month, tax code has loopholes in it that all wealthy people abuse, everyone is fooled and thinks trickle down economics actually works - then the wealthy moves all of their money overseas, and nothing trickles down. .
Again with the absolutes, and again nobody is advocating for any of that. Oh yeah we want dirty air, and dirty water for our kids too.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Some how they believe that the rich create the most jobs.
Actually consumers create jobs Nick Hanauer covers all of this on TedTalks and so on.

The U.S. economy is driven primarily by how much money the bottom 99 percent has to spend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CttIbGOcs

Old 10-08-2017, 03:51 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Actually consumers create jobs Nick Hanauer covers all of this on TedTalks and so on.

The U.S. economy is driven primarily by how much money the bottom 99 percent has to spend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CttIbGOcs
Where does wealth come from in the first place?

Old 10-08-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Where does wealth come from in the first place?
Through theft, exploitation, and/or war quite often.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:04 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
You raise minimum to $15 per hour and everything gets more expensive. So then it needs to go to $20 because the minimum wage people complain they can't live on $15 per hour. Then Social Security and all public assistance needs to go up to keep up with rising inflation. Then minimum is $25, then $30.

A few years later: hyperinflation - Venezuela of the north.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
You raise minimum to $15 per hour and everything gets more expensive. So then it needs to go to $20 because the minimum wage people complain they can't live on $15 per hour. Then Social Security and all public assistance needs to go up to keep up with rising inflation. Then minimum is $25, then $30.

A few years later: hyperinflation - Venezuela of the north.
I don't think you've been paying attention. Everything got more expensive anyway, minimum wage barely went up at all in the past 30 years.

The average price of a house is 3X what it was in 1987, wages have not went up 3X.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies