Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 08:41 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Most bums are willful. There are cannots and there are willnots. The cannots need gov't help.

Know how to tell the difference between a cannot and a willnot? Willnots are resourceful. They sit in their beaters in the Walmart parking lot with a sign that says Need Gas, or they hold up signs that say, Anything Helps. Well, truth be told, some of those folks are Hardware Software engineers making 70k to 130k per year just messing with the sentimental types.
And you know this how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 08:47 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
In the United States, we don't deprive citizens of their constitutionally guaranteed rights because we "suspect" them of doing something. We have to have proof of an at that warrants such a punishment.
That's simply not true, people are arrested every day without "proof" that they broke the law but merely because there is enough evidence to demonstrate that their is a reasonable likelihood that they committed a crime and that they should be required to stand trial on the charges.

This is no different than the process involved in putting a person on a no fly list. An evaluation was done and it was established that there is enough evidence that the person might pose a risk if they are allowed on a commercial plane, it's not a real stretch to say that if they are that dangerous enough to be banned from flying then allowing them to buy a gun might not be the best idea.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:19 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's simply not true, people are arrested every day without "proof" that they broke the law but merely because there is enough evidence to demonstrate that their is a reasonable likelihood that they committed a crime and that they should be required to stand trial on the charges.

This is no different than the process involved in putting a person on a no fly list. An evaluation was done and it was established that there is enough evidence that the person might pose a risk if they are allowed on a commercial plane, it's not a real stretch to say that if they are that dangerous enough to be banned from flying then allowing them to buy a gun might not be the best idea.
Before someone can be arrested a crime needs to be or thought to have been committed, The person arrested has to to be read there miranda rights, and offered legal representation, in most cases offered bail, they are also entitled to a speedy trial.

Placing someone on a secret government list and stripping them of there rights without legal representation or a trial is far different than just being arrested.

If you wish to take away someones rights your going to have to convict them of a felony, sorry but there is no way around that.

The fact that you think there is is mind boggling.

I ask you once again, Should the gov. be allowed to snatch up anyone on the terror watch lists and hold them without trial or representation?

RR

Old 10-11-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:

LOL... So I guess you would be OK with the current administration evaluating that anyone that protest or marches against the Government is a risk and should be locked up without trial or legal representation?

You might be more comfortable living in some third world dictatorship.

RR

Old 10-11-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I ask you once again, Should the gov. be allowed to snatch up anyone on the terror watch lists and hold them without trial or representation?
What a peculiar question since as far as I know no one in this thread ever suggested that should happen? But as far as holding people without trial, that's funny as hell since Trump is currently holding 26 Guantanamo detainees indefinitely without any intention to charge them or try them for a crime.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
What a peculiar question since as far as I know no one in this thread ever suggested that should happen? But as far as holding people without trial, that's funny as hell since Trump is currently holding 26 Guantanamo detainees indefinitely without any intention to charge them or try them for a crime.
I pose that question so that you might understand that ALL OF OR RIGHTS ARE CONSTITUTIONALLY PROTECTED, Not just the ones you like and dislike.
So once again, Would you want the Trump administration to have the ability to toss aside the 5th amendment and lock up American citizens with out due process?

Ahh the Guantanamo strawman argument, I guess i'll continue to educate you, Obviously the American school system failed you, Foreign combatants captured on a foreign battle field are not subject to our constitution, they may be subject to the Geneva Convention. And seeing that they were captured out of uniform they are technically spy's/and or terrorist and could be legally executed or imprisoned for life.

RR

Old 10-11-2017, 12:01 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
I pose that question so that you might understand that ALL OF OR RIGHTS ARE CONSTITUTIONALLY PROTECTED, Not just the ones you like and dislike.
So once again, Would you want the Trump administration to have the ability to toss aside the 5th amendment and lock up American citizens with out due process?

Ahh the Guantanamo strawman argument, I guess i'll continue to educate you, Obviously the American school system failed you, Foreign combatants captured on a foreign battle field are not subject to our constitution, they may be subject to the Geneva Convention. And seeing that they were captured out of uniform they are technically spy's/and or terrorist and could be legally executed or imprisoned for life.

RR

roadrat v. 2sleepy

roadrat- TKO

Old 10-11-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
roadrat v. 2sleepy

roadrat- TKO

LOL... It's definitely not a fair fight, I've met foreign children with a better understanding of our Constitution

RR

Old 10-11-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
RR
This is what you said:

Quote:
To which I said we already do that and offered the example of Guantanamo bay. Perhaps you aren't aware of it but out of over 80,000 people on the no-fly list fewer than 1000 are US Citizens.

I think you confused yourself, but this is way off topic so I'm done with it.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:45 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Simple. Homelessness. Started under Reagan yet I have never seen a conservative own up to it.
actually it was liberals who campaigned for the closing down of old style mental institutions , its true republicans liked the idea of saving money but in both the usa and europe the dominant liberal attitude to institutions has done a huge amount of harm , i have a close relative who is now back in care but who was on the road to either being homeless or in prison as his poor family could not handle his behaviour , some people are simply not right and its cruel to leave them to fend for themselves , freedom is a curse to them , they need to be in secure controlled enviroments , this isnt to say that the majority of people who suffer from the likes of depression need to be locked up but a certain percentage of people are too ill to be free

its unfair on everyone , especially them and their families
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies