Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 08:04 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times

Advertisements

This vet has a whole lot more respect for the NFL athletes than the two chickenhawks pretending to be prez and veep.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:04 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
An old rich white man wasting a quarter million in taxpayer money to grandstand against people protesting racially-motivated police violence? And that same weekend the neo-nazis march again in Charlottesville...and neither Trump nor Pence says anything about it.

If there's a better picture of the fact that white supremacists have taken control of the White House, its hard to think of one right now.
Pence made a statement. I support that.

Maybe this will help you understand, this guy gets it. I don't understand why protesting our flag does anything positive. The NFL will end up paying, they were already in trouble. When these guys can't find a job...........oops, that won't be because they are horses' butts, but because of "racism". People need to get a clue, this guy gets it and explains it in very simple terms!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEcYDa7r4-I

Old 10-09-2017, 08:09 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There does seem to be a strong support of the protests from vets. For every vet that says they are offended there seems to be one saying they support the right to protest in that matter.

I am not taking Trump and Pence's words for how folks feel. They don't care -- they are using it for political gains.
There are all sorts of tweets and articles about vets supporting the football players right to protest.

World War II Vet and Other Soldiers Take a Knee To Support NFL Players Against Trump

Many are disgusted with the way Trump, and now Pence, are using them to score points with their racist base.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
this guy gets it. I don't understand why protesting our flag does anything positive.
Neither of you "gets it."

It ain't about "the flag."

Old 10-09-2017, 08:19 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Protest all you want - just not on my dime, please.
I believe the same can be said about every time a political rep uses government assets for political reasons including campaigning for re-election.
I disagree with Pence wasting our tax dollars on this stunt. I agree with his right to protest by walking out on the game.
I find it odd that the left should be so bothered by it after the obvious waste by the Obama admin on political stunts.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:22 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
This vet has a whole lot more respect for the NFL athletes than the two chickenhawks pretending to be prez and veep.

This Vet has respect for some NFL athletes. I have very little respect for most career politicians. That said I aam trying to think of any President or VP that didn't use Government assets to make political statements.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:29 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
These guys could not care less about the average person out here in the heartland. It's all about playing to the base and shoring up their power. With this stunt, you really begin to understand Pence. His approach is different, but underneath the well groomed and quiet exterior he has the same neo-fascist agenda as his boss. In fact he is even more dangerous because he is more intelligent than Trump. The amazing thing is that there are many Americans dumb enough or brainwashed enough to think Pence and Trump are representing their best interests.
This. Most of the reason I don't want Trump impeached is because as a Democrat, I don't want Pence.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Explain to me how one protest is disrespectful, and the other is respectful. At best, they are both the same.

Both used the National Anthem as the backdrop of their protest. We can disagree about whether that is appropriate or not, but I don't think you can have it both ways.

In my view, the players knee was very respectful, as they were making a quiet and peaceful statement that they support what the flag stands for, and that it should stand for ALL players. Pence/Trump were very loud about the fact that they didn't agree (their perogative), and that protesting in or around the National Anthem was not appropriate. Trump went further and said players who use the the platform to make political statements should be FIRED. Then he sent Pence in to do exactly that. he sent him in for the sole purpose of making a political statement, a protest.

I personally feel like Pence had every right to do that, even though I don't agree with his position. I feel there is nothing more American that making a peaceful protest for what you believe in. Pence did that, the players did it. I agree with the rights of both.

Please help me understand how you justify that it's OK for one group to do it, but not another. That's the part I don't get.
^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
In my view, the players knee was very respectful, as they were making a quiet and peaceful statement that they support what the flag stands for, and that it should stand for ALL players.
Exactly! I disagree with what Marshawn Lynch did by sitting on a cooler during the anthem. That was disrespectful. However, kneeling in and of itself IS a sign of respect.

A fair number of NFL players have family members who are serving or who have served in the military. Trump is merely playing the race card, IMHO. He knows blacks mixed with non-patriotism is a major call to action for specific members of his base. One could even say a dog whistle.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Maybe this will help you understand, this guy gets it. I don't understand why protesting our flag does anything positive. The NFL will end up paying, they were already in trouble. When these guys can't find a job...........oops, that won't be because they are horses' butts, but because of "racism". People need to get a clue, this guy gets it and explains it in very simple terms!
Except they are not "protesting the flag" - they are protesting police brutality that leaves young black people dead, they are protesting racial inequality.

No matter how many times people like you try to change the subject and duck facing this issue, we won't let you get away with it.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:50 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
So, Mike Pence is allowed to protest the flag, but the players are not. Is that pretty much it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies