Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 07:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
However getting a medical card for pot comes at the price of my firearms rights which I just can't abide.
They have no right to do that. This could probably be challenged in court by a good constitutional law attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 07:39 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The average heroin addict is 23 years old, white and was raised in a suburban home. They are not likely living in their parent's basement.

At what point do we stop blaming parents for the choices their children make?

Is the 90 year old mother of the Las Vegas shooter responsible for her 64 year old son's choices?
Agreed.

Also, when crack cocaine hit inner-city Black America in the 90s, it was a "crime wave." But the opioid crisis that is sweeping across flyover, rural white America is an "epidemic."

Old 11-01-2017, 07:47 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Agreed.

Also, when crack cocaine hit inner-city Black America in the 90s, it was a "crime wave." But the opioid crisis that is sweeping across flyover, rural white America is an "epidemic."
something is wrong here, b/c we didn't need to do drugs...we didn't bully like what is going on today, we didn't get on line, and ask for money, b/c our parents gave us everything we wanted. Our parents said, you want something get a job...you do drugs, your going to lose any privledges you have. You get arrested, you get one call, don't call me. If a teacher told our parents we were acting up in school, or we bullied someone, guess what, we got an arse beating, rightfully so. Today there are no consequences for their actions, not all parents, but a lot of parents don't even have the time to bother with teaching kids b/c most of them are growing up in child care facilities, not being raised by family members, so no one on one consistency...

I'm sorry, but, something is missing in house holds today, plus, a lot of kids only have one parent....

and it isn't just rural white America.

For years the black population had been on drugs and selling them....now it's hitting the white population and all of a sudden it's an epidemic...what about all those black kids that died from drug over dose?

Sorry I won't buy it....way back what first lady coined the phrase, "Just Say NO"? and why?

This just didn't become an epidemic...what is happening is, the rich folks kids are now using, and they now and only now want to do something about it. Period.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:17 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
They have no right to do that. This could probably be challenged in court by a good constitutional law attorney.

No. It can't. At the state level maybe but this is federal. Federal law doesn't recognize legal weed. If you have a medical card it flags the 4473 application and denies the purchase on the BC. Challenging it in court is taking on the feds. Federal law says pot is an illegal drug, and if you have marked "NO" on the question that asks if you use wed or other illegal drugs you have lied. Even if state law says weed is legal. That doesn't trump federal law. And that has been the law forever now, and has never been challenged. At least not with any success.

They have every right to do that, and do. Until the law changes and the feds recognize medical pot this won't change. Like I said, it's just weird. Opioids are ok but something that isn't physically addictive and a lot less potent is reason to deny you your rights. Go ahead and take morphine but God forbid you take a toke or two. One of my doctors is an avid 2A guy and he didn't know this was how it is. He sits on the state medical board and brought it up in a meeting. Answer? Federal law. Can't do a thing about that.

And all the crackdown on opiates that the feds are so proud of is as useless as nursing teats on a boar hog. The new regs and laws are completely worthless in even slowing medication abuse. There is no "crisis" of legal use. It's ILLEGAL use which they cannot track or even accurately measure. So they pick on legitimate pain patients so they can show "results." It's total BS and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves. There's just so many people out there who lump patients and abusive addicts together and have this self righteous attitude that NOBODY could possibly need narcotic pain control for anything. They see themselves as being oh so superior and tough beyond reproach.

Uh huh. Until it's them who gets cancer or develops a painful and degenerative disease. Then all of a sudden they ain't so tough. It's easy to belittle someone when you haven't chewed up any mud in their boots. Lets see these iron willed types get by on Tylenol when it's their body coming apart from the inside out.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:30 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Like with everything else in our nation- personal responsibility is downplayed. As a recovering addict myself (no, not opioids), I was responsible for getting clean and sober, and staying that way. The gov't cannot do it for someone- even treatment is usually not effective if the addict isn't very motivated. Sure, if we can make it harder to get legal Rx, do it. However, as long as the demand is there, there will be a supply.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:33 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Indeed the coddling of children makes them unprepared for the real world, and if you continue to pay for them to live in grandmas basement well into adulthood they have no incentive to change or better themselves. I find a lot of single mothers overcompensate for the bad men they met by coddling their kids well into adulthood which basically ruins their potential for a superior life... Well it ruins men. Women can always find men to pay for them as there are a lot more beta/provider males than there is women who are attracted to them.

Men should be kicked out of the house no later than 25, preferably 22. They might get angry at you initially but 10 years down the road they will thank you.

As for addictions, nobody can tell a person what to do. They have to want to stop. Its like a women who keeps dating a man who she knows is wrong for her but can't break it off. We get addicted to the release of oxycontin, serotonin, and other feel good chemicals.
Excellent post. So many folks are "soft" anymore, and that is because Dad wasn't there, and Mom coddled them, or drug them thru one dysfunctional relationship after the other. It's considered taboo to criticize Mothers, but they are largely responsible for turning out the many irresponsible wimps that populate our society.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Like with everything else in our nation- personal responsibility is downplayed. As a recovering addict myself (no, not opioids), I was responsible for getting clean and sober, and staying that way. The gov't cannot do it for someone- even treatment is usually not effective if the addict isn't very motivated. Sure, if we can make it harder to get legal Rx, do it. However, as long as the demand is there, there will be a supply.
I was addicted to cigarettes, I tried quitting several times, but it wasn't until I set my mind to it, was it possible. And I had to do it, it is definitely a mind thing....until you actually want something so bad, you won't do it?

Old 11-01-2017, 09:46 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes, Fern, they were wrong to do this, however, in the end, who took all those pills? Why didn't people educate themselves more?

To this day I have friends who go to the doctor and have no idea what is wrong iwth them, they are too lazy to ask questions about their own diagnosis, and how many people get a second opinion.....?

We heard on the news and TV for years how dangerously addictive these pills were? Why did we still engage in taking them?

I'm sorry, but we have ourselves to blame.

Pointing fingers and blaming others, is a great way to get rich quick. and to not accept full repsondiblity for our own actions.

If you believe these articles, than what your saying is, those who are addicted were stupid, they were forced to take these pills.

I used to be addicted to cigs...no one twisted my arm and forced me to smoke, did they.

When we expect people to trust the news and TV more than their doctor, isn't that a sign it's time for a redo of the for profit healthcare system?

Old 11-01-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
When we expect people to trust the news and TV more than their doctor, isn't that a sign it's time for a redo of the for profit healthcare system?
well, yes, but the major part of the problem is money....greed, at all costs....

Our society has corroded....it's imploding from the inside out.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:08 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, yes, but the major part of the problem is money....greed, at all costs....

Our society has corroded....it's imploding from the inside out.

Seems to be the historical norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies