Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 04:22 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Surgeons seem to be big on prescribing them which is disturbing since teens have wisdom teeth removed and can have injuries requiring surgery.

The nurses and home health care people acted irritated with my uncle for not taking the prescribed pain meds even AFTER he told them that before surgery his pain was at an 8 or 9 on a range from 1 to 10 - and post-surgery his pain never got up to 4.

And this b.s. that people need meds to rest is comical. Post-surgery most people want to do nothing but rest (depending on the surgery).

I don't know when we became a society where we can't feel any pain or discomfort but it's irresponsible and has led to an epidemic nobody is doing anything about.
I am sorry your so upset over this, but I must reply that people need meds to rest is BS, is a mean spirited comment....if you think a bit beyond that, I had two total knee replacements the old way, they cut the front of both my knees open, sawed out the old knees and put in two replacement titanium knees....and the healing process from that was long...and I needed pain meds for pain...not to mention to help me sleep and I slept alot...which is what your supposed to do...but, my doctor was extremely careful to prescribe pain meds....and so was I!!!!@!!!

Am I upset now, yes, b/c I hate being called a lier....I don't lie....

Next surgery was approx. 3 years ago, I had a 25 inch cut along my spine, they put a fusion in there, with metal and bolts, then cleaned out spinal stenosis, then also repaired a herniated disc, and one other thing, but I forget....the healing process for that was a *****....it was hard, but again, even more so the doctors were hesitant in refilling my pain meds after only five days...and by God I needed them....but weened myself off of them slowly each day after that and tollarated the pain, plus I walked a lot.

While I understand where your coming from, yes, your body needs to heal after invasive surgeries....so all the sleep you get certainly does help. That's why you take 6 weeks off of work. I went back in five weeks.

I'm a strong woman....and I asked a friend of mine about how she felt about this, and she said the very same thing as I have been saying.

Why play Russian roulette in the first place when you know these drugs are addictive????

and I'm sticking to it.....

somewhere along the line, our society has to start taking responsibility for their own actions....no one forces these people to take these drugs....they chose to take them.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it Chris Christie....this isn't a disease, this is a choice....period.

I'm sorry to all those who believe differently....but Americans need to wake up....they need to stop playing the blame game and decide for themselves.

If you chose to play with fire, yes, you might get burned, so why do it in the first place????

My words are not BS....

there is something wrong in our society, that people have a need to call this an epidemic...
and I believe it is, but there is something major wrong when human beings don't know any better and/or don't use common sense.

Most Human beings will do anything for money, so shame on the doctors, however, they are the ones giving out these meds, so quit frankly, if they are found guilty, they should have their licenses revoked. Done deal, and those who are taking these pills and not using them wisely, shame on you....stop blaming everyone else, this didn't just happen over night, you knew what might happen when you kept taking them....so...

Instead of blaming everyone else, lets take responsibility for our own actions, and man up, period.

I'm sorry, but if you know full well that something is bad for you, than there is no excuse for taking it...or doing it. No one forced your mouth open and poured these pills down your throat.

I do feel sorry for anyone who is addicted, but know full well, even as a child, I was afraid of them and stayed away from them, b/c I didn't want to become addicted...period...and so have my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 05:23 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:

Doctors told my uncle last year to get his prescription filled ahead of surgery so he'd have it.
There is a very logical and good reason they do this. An example: My husband is a surgeon in a specialty where his patients have a great deal of post surgical pain. The pain med prescription is always part of the Pre Op packet given to the patient several days in advance and told to review. He advises them to fill the prescriptions before surgery. If a patient has surgery on Fri, and decides on Sat to fill the prescription, there can be a problem. If the patient has lost the prescription (or has claimed to), and/or in the very rare cases where the nurse didn't include the prescription in the packet, now the patient has no pain meds. So, patient calls my husband (usually late on a weekend evening) and asks for another prescription, which husband can't provide because they are triplicate scripts kept under lock and key in his office. Patient tells husband to just "call it in". Husband has to explain to patient that he can't call in narcotics. Patient is angry, my husband is unhappy because he has an unhappy patient and so it goes. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, I have seen my husband drop everything he's doing and drive to his office to get a script and have the patient meet him. This assumes, of course, that my husband is even available to do this and that pharmacies are open.

Sometimes the patient is very appreciative of this, but oftentimes, they are not. In fact, patients are often not appreciative about many things, but that's a different issue.

Quote:

I don't know when we became a society where we can't feel any pain or discomfort but it's irresponsible and has led to an epidemic nobody is doing anything about.
This aspect I agree with. The idea that we can eliminate pain and discomfort from injury and illness, while well intentioned, is completely unrealistic. As soon as accrediting agencies and payers started holding hospitals and doctors accountable for their patient's pain, we started down this slippery slope to where we're at now.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 10-11-2017 at 06:12 AM..

Old 10-11-2017, 06:13 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
There is a very logical and good reason they do this. An example: My husband is a surgeon in a specialty where his patients have a great deal of post surgical pain. The pain med prescription is always part of the Pre Op packet given to the patient several days in advance and told to review. He advises them to fill the prescriptions before surgery. So, pt has surgery on Fri, and decides on Sat to fill the prescription. But, if the patient has lost the prescription (or has claimed to), and/or in the very rare cases where the nurse didn't include the prescription in the packet, now the patient has no pain meds. So, patient calls my husband (usually late on a weekend evening) and asks for another prescription, which husband can't provide because they are triplicate scripts kept under lock and key in his office. Patient tells husband to just "call it in". Husband has to explain to patient that he can't call in narcotics. Patient is angry, my husband is unhappy because he has an unhappy patient and so it goes. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, I have seen my husband drop everything he's doing and drive to his office to get a script and have the patient meet him. This assumes, of course, that my husband is even available to do this and that pharmacies are open.

Sometimes the patient is very appreciative of this, but oftentimes, they are not. In fact, patients are often not appreciative about many things, but that's a different issue.

This aspect I agree with. The idea that we can eliminate pain and discomfort from injury and illness, while well intentioned, is completely unrealistic. As soon as accrediting agencies and payers started holding hospitals and doctors accountable for their patient's pain, we started down this slippery slope to where we're at now.
The drug war has focused on opioids since about 2012, but oddly enough, things were much safer before all the laws and regulations went into effect, we had FAR less ODs and deaths BEFORE prescription drug laws, its much worse now.

Not to mention, anyone who takes a little time to look into why drug laws were even put into effect can learn the real motivation behind it all, hint, it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with protecting anyones health or safety. LOL. Its actually scary imo they have so many people duped.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Texas Ag 93; There is a very logical and good reason they do this. An example: My husband is a surgeon in a specialty where his patients have a great deal of post surgical pain. The pain med prescription is always part of the Pre Op packet given to the patient several days in advance and told to review. He advises them to fill the prescriptions before surgery. So, pt has surgery on Fri, and decides on Sat to fill the prescription. But, if the patient has lost the prescription (or has claimed to), and/or in the very rare cases where the nurse didn't include the prescription in the packet, now the patient has no pain meds. So, patient calls my husband (usually late on a weekend evening) and asks for another prescription, which husband can't provide because they are triplicate scripts kept under lock and key in his office. Patient tells husband to just "call it in". Husband has to explain to patient that he can't call in narcotics. Patient is angry, my husband is unhappy because he has an unhappy patient and so it goes. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, I have seen my husband drop everything he's doing and drive to his office to get a script and have the patient meet him. This assumes, of course, that my husband is even available to do this and that pharmacies are open.
I live alone, and hate, hate, hate to ask for help, so before back surgery, I asked my doctor to please give me all my prescriptions before the surgery so I wouldn't have to bother anyone. He refused! and then only gave me enough for 5 days....so I had to bother my neighbor to go get another written prescription and take it to the pharmacy and wait for it to be filled. Boy I hated that...so...

Quote:
AMEN to that...

Quote:
growing up I was an extremely strong girl and woman, but I thank God for the pain meds I had to take for those two surgeries....

Thank you for this post.....

Old 10-11-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The drug war has focused on opioids since about 2012, but oddly enough, things were much safer before all the laws and regulations went into effect, we had FAR less ODs and deaths BEFORE prescription drug laws, its much worse now.

Not to mention, anyone who takes a little time to look into why drug laws were even put into effect can learn the real motivation behind it all, hint, it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with protecting anyones health or safety. LOL. Its actually scary imo they have so many people duped.
Please if you would, explain.....

Old 10-11-2017, 06:25 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Please if you would, explain.....
Drug laws were originally put in place as a sneaky way to control certain minorities, mainly to keep them out of certain parts of the city. Even one of the original authors of the drug laws admitted to this not too long ago. It had nothing to with anyones health or safety.

Regarding the overdose/ death rate, Since all the addicts could not get opioid pills anymore, they all switched to heroin, which was mysteriously readily available right around the same time as the new laws went into effect, now we are dealing with many more overdoses/ deaths related to heroin, it was safer when all these people were abusing pills!

However, just like prohibition on alcohol, I have a feeling this 'opioid prohibition' wont last long either, they will see its completely ineffective just like they did with alcohol.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:45 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I live alone, and hate, hate, hate to ask for help, so before back surgery, I asked my doctor to please give me all my prescriptions before the surgery so I wouldn't have to bother anyone. He refused! and then only gave me enough for 5 days....so I had to bother my neighbor to go get another written prescription and take it to the pharmacy and wait for it to be filled. Boy I hated that...so...
Limiting supply is to protect all parties involved- the patient, the physician etc. Even then, how the physician chooses to handle it can depend on multiple factors, including type of procedure and expected level of pain, state law (that always seem to vary), policy, and even day of the week for the procedure. And, there is no shame is asking for help after surgery and when people offer it, as your neighbor did. I am sure they are sincere in their sentiment and happy to do so.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 10-11-2017 at 08:09 AM..

Old 10-11-2017, 08:12 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
I've known a few hard opiate users over the years although I didnt partake.

One had terrible life circumstances and lost his job, his roommate stopped paying rent and got in a bad accident insurance didnt cover (long story) all at once. He became homeless and did heroin for a bit probably to make himself feel better. It made it harder to fix his problems, but when he did he eventually sobered up.

Another did heroin in college for a while and eventually stopped.

I did actually inquire into the reasons as I was curious to why someone would do something so harmful to themselves. What I was told was that while the physical addiction itself wasnt remotely pleasant, it mostly resolved within a week or so. Usually it seemed like the people doing these things were trying to fill a void in their lives. Thats why they kept coming back for the drugs. Most people cant get to "rock star status" level of addictions anyway as they run out of money or drugs too frequently to get to the point to where theyre defecating blood and feverish for weeks.

I think a lot of these behaviors are due to disillusionment. I feel as though success in many communities in the USA is often too rigid and consumer and monetarily focused. We need to be more accepting of people with different talents and outlooks on life. And more forgiving of those who make "mistakes" and help them instead of chastise them.

In my opinion making drugs illegal wont fix the demand issue. We need better education and rehabilitation for people that get involved. In the end, this is less costly than imprisoning people and locking them out of the employment market anyway.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Limiting supply is to protect all parties involved- the patient, the physician etc. Even then, how the physician chooses to handle it can depend on multiple factors, including type of procedure and expected level of pain, state law (that always seem to vary), policy, and even day of the week for the procedure. And, there is no shame is asking for help after surgery and when people offer it, as your neighbor did. I am sure they are sincere in their sentiment and happy to do so.
they were, but it wasn't as simple, b/c the doctors office was 20 miles from my home...so she had to drive way down there and then to the pharmacy...and wait....as you say, she didn't mind, but I hated asking her to do so.....

and I know your right, but all these people who abuse these drugs are making it harder for people like me, who have pain and need it short term.

human beings are their own worst enemy.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:19 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No they don't.

Who do you think licenses doctors? Sure it's at the state level but still the government. Doctors are beholden to their state medical boards.
And how much oversight is there on what they prescribe to whom?

I was watching a 60 Minutes I'd recorded that had a segment on heroin addiction. In it, they raised the point that in 2014, three quarters of a billion painkillers had been prescribed in Ohio, 65 pills for every man, woman, and child in the state. How's that oversight working out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies