Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 06:17 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

What a difference 30 years makes....

We've been hearing a whole lot lately about the opioid crisis/problem. Christie even made commercials for a radio talk show, which sympathizes the whole idea of it....

I don't find it difficult to understand....

Did I do drugs...no, I tried pot...but we didn't do drugs b/c we knew they were addictive so we stayed away from them, period.

One commercial I watched showed a grown man in his 20's stating, that "Well, he tried them because his friends kept bugging him to do it, and so he got hooked? Are you kidding me? Why would you do something like that in the first place...and he had to be lying, b/c you can't do opioids once and get hooked.

Even when I had surgeries, I weened myself off of the pain pills before hand, b/c I knew they were addictive...

Where is the personal mature responsibility...?

and then to boot, there surely is enough information out there to know, that if you move on to Heroine, your going to become addicted? So why do it in the first place.

Personally I believe these are all excuses why they are addicted to these drugs....and it isn't American's fault, nor our problem...what is going on with parenting? Are parents discussing drugs with their kids? How serious they are....

Honestly I don't believe parents are giving their kids enough responsibilities....when they are young, so they grow up fully aware?

What's your take....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 06:21 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Indeed the coddling of children makes them unprepared for the real world, and if you continue to pay for them to live in grandmas basement well into adulthood they have no incentive to change or better themselves. I find a lot of single mothers overcompensate for the bad men they met by coddling their kids well into adulthood which basically ruins their potential for a superior life... Well it ruins men. Women can always find men to pay for them as there are a lot more beta/provider males than there is women who are attracted to them.

Men should be kicked out of the house no later than 25, preferably 22. They might get angry at you initially but 10 years down the road they will thank you.

As for addictions, nobody can tell a person what to do. They have to want to stop. Its like a women who keeps dating a man who she knows is wrong for her but can't break it off. We get addicted to the release of oxycontin, serotonin, and other feel good chemicals.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
The average heroin addict is 23 years old, white and was raised in a suburban home. They are not likely living in their parent's basement.

At what point do we stop blaming parents for the choices their children make?

Is the 90 year old mother of the Las Vegas shooter responsible for her 64 year old son's choices?

Old 10-09-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The average heroin addict is 23 years old, white and was raised in a suburban home. They are not likely living in their parent's basement.

Is the 90 year old mother of the Las Vegas shooter responsible for her 64 year old son's choices?
I don't know (and believe me, I know this sounds bad) but I don't know that Parents are the sole people to blame) but people do things for many reasons, not one, but before we start excusing drug addicts, I think we need to stop excusing it, and try and find the reasons for it?

Maybe in some cases, parents are to blame, I don't know...it just seems to me that some kids, not all, but some kids are raised being coddled, and not at all ready for the real world out there.

Is it we parents try to keep them young for too long? Maybe not discuss the dangers out there in the real world?

At what point do we blame the kids, and why? Remember, children are molded by their parents, more than most people realize....

For instance, I view, no more so, study my grand baby a lot....and she definitely is her mother's child....while she has her father's points, I can see her stance, the way she holds her head, etc...acts like her mother....

I had acid slipped on me at a party when I was very young. It was a horrible experience. Horrible....it was put in a drink...so, you can bet, I talked with my son about those kinds of drugs and the grave importance to know what is in your drink at all times, by being aware, of keeping it with you and not allowing anyone to get you a drink at a party. (just one example)

So are parents discussing these situations with their children, and warning them of the dangers?

People are dying from overdoses....out there, and it seems so many want to excuse the kids, and blame everyone else, like the doctors, the pharms, etc?

Why not blame the person responsible for starting this down hill climb in the first place.

And why not educate kids on it, thoroughly.

I guess I'm asking for points of views....don't mean to sound like I'm blaming the parents, but do believe there is a certain amount of blame there...depending?

Old 10-09-2017, 07:12 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
What a difference 30 years makes....

We've been hearing a whole lot lately about the opioid crisis/problem. Christie even made commercials for a radio talk show, which sympathizes the whole idea of it....

I don't find it difficult to understand....

Did I do drugs...no, I tried pot...but we didn't do drugs b/c we knew they were addictive so we stayed away from them, period.

One commercial I watched showed a grown man in his 20's stating, that "Well, he tried them because his friends kept bugging him to do it, and so he got hooked? Are you kidding me? Why would you do something like that in the first place...and he had to be lying, b/c you can't do opioids once and get hooked.

Even when I had surgeries, I weened myself off of the pain pills before hand, b/c I knew they were addictive...

Where is the personal mature responsibility...?

and then to boot, there surely is enough information out there to know, that if you move on to Heroine, your going to become addicted? So why do it in the first place.

Personally I believe these are all excuses why they are addicted to these drugs....and it isn't American's fault, nor our problem...what is going on with parenting? Are parents discussing drugs with their kids? How serious they are....

Honestly I don't believe parents are giving their kids enough responsibilities....when they are young, so they grow up fully aware?

What's your take....

Long gone. For everything.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Long gone. For everything.
I agree.....

It seems like county officials are all upset at the lives being lost, by heroine overdose....because it is out of control, but it isn't the fault of the pharms, or the doctors....

I have a neighbor whose almost entire family is strung out on some kind of medication, which lead to heroine use. by the one gal, but the mother of these children, started taking them, then her daughter and then her grand children?

So, what is happening here?

Old 10-09-2017, 07:28 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

At what point do we admit part of the problem is the over-prescribing of opioids and the blind faith people have in physicians to never lead them astray?

Old 10-09-2017, 07:40 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
At what point do we admit part of the problem is the over-prescribing of opioids and the blind faith people have in physicians to never lead them astray?
That's an extension of our collective (blah) mindset under statism: authority is good and can't be questioned.

Regulation/criminalization of drugs has bastardized the market. The government excels at that for any and all goods/services it gets its hands on.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I still don't blame the doctors, while over prescribing 'Was' a problem, it is no longer one.

I had two very serious surgeries, within the past 10 years....and I don't care what amount of pills the doctor gave me for pain, I surely researched them and started weening myself off of them much earlier....

When doctors prescribe meds, people know better, or should....I'm sorry, but there is no excuse to abuse the pain pills....and I realize some people's pain tollerance isn't the same as others, however, one must assume responsibility....don't you think? No doctor is forcing pills down their throats....

Old 10-09-2017, 07:49 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Indeed the coddling of children makes them unprepared for the real world, and if you continue to pay for them to live in grandmas basement well into adulthood they have no incentive to change or better themselves. I find a lot of single mothers overcompensate for the bad men they met by coddling their kids well into adulthood which basically ruins their potential for a superior life... Well it ruins men. Women can always find men to pay for them as there are a lot more beta/provider males than there is women who are attracted to them.

Men should be kicked out of the house no later than 25, preferably 22. They might get angry at you initially but 10 years down the road they will thank you.

As for addictions, nobody can tell a person what to do. They have to want to stop. Its like a women who keeps dating a man who she knows is wrong for her but can't break it off. We get addicted to the release of oxycontin, serotonin, and other feel good chemicals.
wow.... nazi thinking-- make them ROBOTS to always march to the tune!
good people in pain got taken for the pills the pharma set out to addict them for revenue-
and the alcohol is first addiction. No movie or commercials without a drink in hand- no beach party- BBQ- car race- or ballgame without a f beer in hand.
recreational addiction is sold- via mass media-- pills -- Drs and pharma for profit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies