Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 09:04 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Absolutely true but the coal businesses don't think long term, they've got to get as much money out of the government as they can.

Six owners of Eastern Kentucky coal mines among top 10 nationally for unpaid fines | Lexington Herald Leader
I know at least a few people from Hazard KY. They couldn't wait to get out of there and find jobs elsewhere. Does anyone really think a young person wants to become a coal miner anymore. They know there are no jobs there or future, no matter what deregulation takes place. They know that the Trump administration will only pollute their air and especially their water even more than it already is. Go to any Appalachian town in coal country; they are a sickly bunch. They have seen their fathers and other male relatives wither and struggle to breathe with black lung disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 09:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
And coal is not the only answer but sure plan to use coal every ten years.
You are missing the point, power plants cost a lot of money to build and they may not generate profit for decades even when they are run at capacity for that time period. Those capital costs will be passed onto you whether it's running or not.

Quote:
The entire coal industry employs fewer people than Arby’s
Arby's doesn't pay on average $70K a year and if you are working at Arby's it's unlikely you have the skills to work at a coal mine. This is a very skilled workforce, mechanics, welders, machine operators, surveyors etc etc. It's also a work force that is paid much more than occupational averages, e.g. if you are welder or mechanic you will make more working at a coal mine.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:15 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You are missing the point, power plants cost a lot of money to build and they may not generate profit for decades even when they are run at capacity for that time period. Those capital costs will be passed onto you whether it's running or not.

Arby's doesn't pay on average $70K a year and if you are working at Arby's it's unlikely you have the skills to work at a coal mine. This is a very skilled workforce, mechanics, welders, machine operators, surveyors etc etc. It's also a work force that is paid much more than occupational averages, e.g. if you are welder or mechanic you will make more working at a coal mine.
$70K a year is not that much. It's not. But these guys get to have their pollution so what's the problem? And Trump is cancelling the retraining money Obama was going to help them with because - hey, they have fewer than 100K getting $70K a year. Appalachia is all solved now. No more money needed for them and let's cancel all that ridiculous Disability they are receiving.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You really think it costs more to provide electricity to a home in Florida from solar panels then from coal plants?
Go for it, put your money where your mouth is and do it without the subsidies.

Quote:
I'd be happy to pay double the utility costs I pay now if I didn't have to breathe air poisoned with high levels of particulate matter.

Quote:
Sooner or later the American economy will begin to suffer by being the dinasaur of energy and will be forced to transition to renewables simply to stay competitive in a global economy.
I'm going to suggest that wind and soalr will be seen as a very expensive boondoggle, better technologies are on the horizon. Fusion or geothermal will rule the energy market of tomorrow.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Go for it, put your money where your mouth is and do it without the subsidies.

I'm going to suggest that wind and soalr will be seen as a very expensive boondoggle, better technologies are on the horizon. Fusion or geothermal will rule the energy market of tomorrow.
So nobody invest in wind or solar! Don't listen to anyone but those forward thinking coal miners!

China is crushing the U.S. in renewable energy - Jul. 18, 2017

China solar, wind to attract $780 billion investment by 2030 - research report | Reuters

Old 10-10-2017, 09:31 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
$70K a year is not that much. It's not. But these guys get to have their pollution so what's the problem? And Trump is cancelling the retraining money Obama was going to help them with because - hey, they have fewer than 100K getting $70K a year. Appalachia is all solved now. No more money needed for them and let's cancel all that ridiculous Disability they are receiving.
$70k/year not that much? I normally agree with you, but I would kill to make that much. I'm earning $52k/year now, and consider myself lucky. I could earn $70-$80k in other metros in my field, but am stuck until my fiance finishes school

Old 10-10-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
5 Big Things the Trump administration is doing to destroy the environment:
The very first thing on that list is the rule we are discussing here where the primary focus in on CO2 and was never implemented.... How you go from that to destroying the environment you will have to explain, liberal logic?

Old 10-10-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
$70K a year is not that much. It's not.
That's the average, with enough experience and the right skill set you can well past $100K/

As far as it not being a lot of money go tell that to Arby's employee you tried to compare them to...

Old 10-10-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
That's the average, with enough experience and the right skill set you can well past $100K/

As far as it not being a lot of money go tell that to Arby's employee you tried to compare them to...
There are more than times as many employees working for the solar industry as there is in the coal industry. 260,000 in solar, 65,971 in coal.

"The second number -- unstated in the op-ed, but equaling 87,000 workers employed in coal mining, if you do the math -- actually overstates the number of mine workers. According to the Energy Information Administration, a part of the federal Energy Department, the number of people working at coal mines was 65,971 in 2016. The actual ratio between the two numbers would be almost four-to-one."

Are there three times as many solar energy jobs as coal jobs? | PolitiFact Illinois

The report goes on to say depending on the source it could be as low as 2.3 solar jobs to every one coal job but that still makes it clear that solar employ multiples more than coal.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
China is manufacturing solar panels in facilities electrified by coal for export to nations like the US where they are subsidized which effectively subsidies Chinese manufactures. This is a common monopolistic practice of the Chinese, with state backing they try and monopolize a product by dumping it on the market with the intention of driving out the competition.

What is really humorous about this is an article linked to by Elliment about how Trump is destroying the environment.
Quote:
5 big things Trump is doing to reverse Obama's climate policies - POLITICO

3) Launching a solar trade war?

A vote by a federal trade panel last month will allow Trump to impose tariffs or a quota on imported solar panels that make up the vast majority of the fast-growing U.S. renewables market — if he chooses to.

The decision by the U.S. International Trade Commission agreed with bankrupt solar manufacturers Suniva and SolarWorld that the low-cost imports had harmed U.S.-based producers. Now, people following the case expect that Trump will slap trade barriers on the imported solar equipment, which is largely produced by Chinese-based companies at factories across Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies