Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 08:35 PM

29,410 posts, read 16,308,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Lockout controversy draws more viewship/sponsorships than one football game a week. Also, it was the offseason so at the time ESPN was losing zero dollars.
No. the NHL lockout shortened the NHL season by like 36 games(a team). the NBA lockout lost the league 20 games(a team).

Also, the argument is that jemele's comments hurt the bottom line of the teams.

so try again.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,578,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
No. the NHL lockout shortened the NHL season by like 36 games(a team). the NBA lockout lost the league 20 games(a team).

so try again.
ESPN has virtually zero stake in hockey so that point is moot.

For the NBA you need to prove that a) the lockout hurt ESPN's bottom line, and b) which commentators were on the players side.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:41 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,900,139 times
As a devout leftist, and previous defender of Ms. Hill, I have to say this suspension is justified. She suggested the boycott of some of her network’s sponsors.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:46 PM

3,593 posts, read 1,772,625 times
Ok only 2 possible conclusions. Either:

A. Jemele Hill has no idea how she gets paid(Leagues, providers, sponsors)

or

B. She wants to get fired to become some sort of social justice figure head.

The idea that she would ask her followers to boycott the NFL(or NFL Teams) that have a multi-billion dollar contract with her network, a league that provides probably 75% of her content this time of year AND the sponsors of her show AND a provider airing her show(AT&T) is ABSURD. I don't think ESPN had a choice here.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:53 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,846,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Ok only 2 possible conclusions. Either:

A. Jemele Hill has no idea how she gets paid(Leagues, providers, sponsors)

or

B. She wants to get fired to become some sort of social justice figure head.

The idea that she would ask her followers to boycott the NFL(or NFL Teams) that have a multi-billion dollar contract with her network, a league that provides probably 75% of her content this time of year AND the sponsors of her show AND a provider airing her show(AT&T) is ABSURD. I don't think ESPN had a choice here.
I think she was probably in SJW mode and just letting her emotions flow.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
ESPN has virtually zero stake in hockey so that point is moot.

For the NBA you need to prove that a) the lockout hurt ESPN's bottom line, and b) which commentators were on the players side.
Im going to skip passed the part about you moving the goal post about actual games being missed once you realized you were wrong and go right to the fact that you are the one who made the bottom line argument and never proved it.

So go ahead, back up that argument.

And lets be clear, you also made the argument that ESPN was somehow making more money off of covering the lockout rather than showing highlights.

And just for Clarification, ESPN broadcasts both NBA and NHL games(I forgot about the NHL cancelling a whole season back in 2005)

Old 10-09-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Im going to skip passed the part about you moving the goal post about actual games being missed once you realized you were wrong and go right to the fact that you are the one who made the bottom line argument and never proved it.

So go ahead, back up that argument.

And lets be clear, you also made the argument that ESPN was somehow making more money off of covering the lockout rather than showing highlights.

And just for Clarification, ESPN broadcasts both NBA and NHL games(I forgot about the NHL cancelling a whole season back in 2005)
First of all, ESPN hasn't broadcast a single NHL game since the lockout of '04.

Second, this whole situation centers around how much money ESPN stands to lose (not sure why you are unable to see that). If Jamele Hill asked her viewers to boycott the Premier League, ESPN wouldn't give two ****s. But she decided to tell her followers to boycott the event her network was set to broadcast that very day.

When it comes to the lockout I am not sure if they make more money (the probably don't), but those situations occur outside of ESPN's control. They are nothing more than a newstory, ala Lavar Ball, the more controversial you make them, the better the ratings.

On the other hand, name one ESPN employee who cheered for a lockout to continue, or called for people to boycott the sport once the lockout ended. Siding with players != advocating boycotting a sport.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:20 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,240,414 times
Quote:
I don't thick ESPN has broadcast an NHL game in over 10 years. NBC has had the main NHL contract in the US for a long time now.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
First of all, ESPN hasn't broadcast a single NHL game since the lockout of '04.

Second, this whole situation centers around how much money ESPN stands to lose (not sure why you are unable to see that). If Jamele Hill asked her viewers to boycott the Premier League, ESPN wouldn't give two ****s. But she decided to tell her followers to boycott the event her network was set to broadcast that very day.

When it comes to the lockout I am not sure if they make more money (the probably don't), but those situations occur outside of ESPN's control. They are nothing more than a newstory, ala Lavar Ball, the more controversial you make them, the better the ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I don't thick ESPN has broadcast an NHL game in like 10 years. NBC has had the main NHL contract in the US for awhile now.
Because of the lockout, the NHL did not renew its broadcasting contract with ESPN. It is a direct causation correlation. Its the purest example of the bottom line being affected. How did you both miss that ????????????

As for things happening outside of ESPN's control, thats not true at least in this context. half the players in the NFL have endorsement contracts through ESPN itself(Disney owns ESPN and ABC).

Quote:
On the other hand, name one ESPN employee who cheered for a lockout to continue, or called for people to boycott the sport once the lockout ended. Siding with players != advocating boycotting a sport
There were plenty who did. You are asking for specifics, and thats fine, but you are talking about an event that happened 5 years ago. i dont remember specific names.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Because of the lockout, the NHL did not renew its broadcasting contract with ESPN. It is a direct causation correlation. Its the purest example of the bottom line being affected. How did you both miss that ????????????
The NHL didn't renew it's contract with ESPN because they were outbid, this occurred before the lockout even happened. I am not sure how this fits in to your original argument about employees being fired.

Quote:
As for things happening outside of ESPN's control, thats not true at least in this context. half the players in the NFL have endorsement contracts through ESPN itself(Disney owns ESPN and ABC).
Another reason why Hill telling people to boycott the NFL severely hurts ESPN's bottom line. That being said, endorsements and lockout are not directly correlated. All of those players can still do promotional work during a lockout.

Quote:
There were plenty who did. You are asking for specifics, and thats fine, but you are talking about an event that happened 5 years ago. i dont remember specific names.
Then your claim cannot be taken seriously. You can't say there were plenty, and then not even provide one name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.