Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If Ronald Reagan were around today, would he be considered a RINO
probably yes 52 69.33%
no not really 23 30.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 09:40 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
He fought off the hippies as governor, brought in the national guard to deal with their protests. He called the Soviet Union with their nukes the Evil Empire and made jokes about them. He was quite aggressive, and like Trump said harsh things about the enemy at the time, this would not fly with current rinos.

I think he would regret the amnesty, and thought they would become republicans and it would stop there.
So Republicans would elect what is tantamount to a gun grabber in today’s definition?

Get real. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
there is no way any of us really know.

He granted amnesty to illegals for one reason and it totally back fired. Most do not know the entire story.
He later regretted it.

A lot of conservatives are in favor of a plan for immigrates, It remains what plan will work and be fair to all. He was not overall in favor of illegals just crossing or border and making this their home, nor was he in favor of supporting them by using federal programs.

I am a conservative and I too happen to think there are as many pros as cons when it comes to NAFTA.

You haven't mentioned his stand on foreign policies. His belief that abortion should never be paid for with government money or after he signed the abortion bill in CA he regretted it. How about his belief anyone on welfare unless disabled should work in some way, even if it was nothing more than dusting off parking meters.

I can go on and on. He was not a RINO regardless of what some may think. He also wasn't as conservative as some want to think.
So you’re saying that modern day Teapublicans would elect a GUN GRABBER?

Old 10-11-2017, 09:48 PM

You Republicans are really gonna try to convince us that a Republican can say this and get the Republican nomination for dog catcher?

Old 10-11-2017, 09:51 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times
Reagan was a free trader in the neo liberal tradition. Trump ran as a paleoconservative.

Republicans are not, and never have been, united on political philosophies.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:06 PM

9,454 posts, read 10,757,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
It depends. To the established Republican party, no. To those who call anyone who disagrees with Trump on any topic (Corker, Graham, Murkowski, Kasich, McCain, etc.) regardless of their political ideology a RINO, yes.
Funny though, Trump is no conservative. Who are the trump supporters to call anyone a rhino?

Old 10-11-2017, 10:11 PM

18,431 posts, read 15,184,095 times
It’s nice to see so many democrats praising Reagan here. I’m used to seeing you guys badmouthing him and diminishing his accomplishments, so this is a welcomed change. He was a great president. I thought Clinton was a great president as well. They were the two best presidents in my 48 years. The thing they both had in common was that they had a very broad appeal. Why dont we have more candidates like them anymore?

Have the candidates changed? Have we changed? Or is it that politics, in general, has changed?

Old 10-11-2017, 10:21 PM

37,937 posts, read 17,805,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Let's see ...

- He was in favor of free trade. In fact, NAFTA was, to a large extent, his brain child.
What idiot told you that was free trade and why did you believe that person? That's not free trade, that's managed trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
- He was in favor of large-scale immigration, particularly from Mexico and Latin America.
- He granted an amnesty to illegal immigrants

It's tough to say how he would fall on some other issues of today, but probably those issues listed above by themselves would make him be considered a RINO in the eyes of many Trump fans.
He turned out to be nothing more than a big government freak. Went back on his word too much. Reminds me of obama, very personable but a snake oil salesman.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:08 PM

24,492 posts, read 33,228,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It’s nice to see so many democrats praising Reagan here. I’m used to seeing you guys badmouthing him and diminishing his accomplishments, so this is a welcomed change. He was a great president. I thought Clinton was a great president as well. They were the two best presidents in my 48 years. The thing they both had in common was that they had a very broad appeal. Why dont we have more candidates like them anymore?

Have the candidates changed? Have we changed? Or is it that politics, in general, has changed?
The fact that Clinton supplied N. Korea with nuclear material (for "energy" purposes) and changed the way the CIA could obtain info, which, in part, made terrorist attacks easier to conduct, keeps Clinton well away from being a "great" president.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

Nothing you said answers the question.

Could Reagan win the nomination if he had to use his legislative record as a basis to run on...combined with his statement on guns?

NO! And all of you wingers know it.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:40 AM

18,431 posts, read 15,184,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nothing you said answers the question.

Could Reagan win the nomination if he had to use his legislative record as a basis to run on...combined with his statement on guns?

NO! And all of you wingers know it.
I’m a winger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies