Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 06:04 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,799,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
This doesn't explain West Virginia obesity problem.
There are still significant racial disparities in obesity rates.

https://stateofobesity.org/states/wv

The point is that Food Stamp recipients have extremely disproportionately higher obesity rates, even compared to the income eligible poor who DON'T receive Food Stamps. The USDA has identified a problem with duplication and overlap of multiple Federal Nutrition Service programs for the poor. And minorities are disproportionately high enrollees in those programs.

Quote:
Southern states would still be at top of the obesity list if you took those demographics out. Obesity is everyone's problem in the south for various reasons. I explained the math in another thread as to why, and you never responded.
I'm not seeing it. There are significant racial disparities in obesity rates, even in the South. The demographics DO matter. For example, just a quick check on the stats for 5 Southern states:

https://stateofobesity.org/states/tx

https://stateofobesity.org/states/ms

https://stateofobesity.org/states/la

https://stateofobesity.org/states/al

https://stateofobesity.org/states/ga
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 06:14 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Do you take advice from the wife of a politician? If yes, lol
None of the Obamas are overweight. I would take nutritional advice from a physically fit, normal weight individual over a fat doctor any day.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:25 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
None of the Obamas are overweight.
I'm pretty sure Michelle O is overweight, if not obese.

January 2017:

Old 10-13-2017, 07:14 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,111 times
My grandparents were poor, they were able to pay for a very modest home that they rented, my grandfather would find furniture someone might be throwing away and fix it up, their "luxury" vacations might be a day at the public beach or a state park, but they were happy. My point, they didn't have much, but they sure ate well. I grew up in the 60's, my grandfather hunted and fished, they kept a vegetable garden in the summer, my grandmother baked fresh breads and cakes, they would can veggies for the winter, make fresh relishes and preserves with seasonal produce. We ate very well and they would put on a feast on special occasions. So when I hear that people can't eat good foods because they can't afford it, I say BS, you could if you wanted to and made the effort.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:22 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Soda is one of the main culprits, a regular can of coke has 38 grams of sugar!!!

I work for a major gas station/ convenience store chain, our largest fountain drinks used to be 32 oz just 10 yrs ago..today its a 52oz. strangely all fountain drinks are same price, no matter what size. Not too hard to determine where the trend is going, so this alone proves there is some kind of agenda, planning involved, introduce larger and larger sizes.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:24 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Soda is one of the main culprits, a regular can of coke has 38 grams of sugar!!!

I work for a major gas station/ convenience store chain, our largest fountain drinks used to be 32 oz just 10 yrs ago..today its a 52oz. strangely all fountain drinks are same price, no matter what size. Not too hard to determine where the trend is going, so this alone proves there is some kind of agenda, planning involved, introduce larger and larger sizes.
52 oz.?????!!!!!!! WOW! A few more years and they'll be selling it by the bucket.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:31 AM

45,214 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
None of the Obamas are overweight. I would take nutritional advice from a physically fit, normal weight individual over a fat doctor any day.
especially if they are the wife of the plantation owner, nevermind that they have no more knowledge, education or study of the subject than you do.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:01 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,659,449 times
Not surprising. We've super-sized ourselves. Have you seen how many "snack foods" now fill the grocery aisles? High calories, little nutrition. And the size of the soft drinks these days? Gallons of high calories and zero nutrition.

When our diets are filled with chicken nuggets, burgers, pizza and other junk, we're doomed--as our kids--to a life of obesity and disease.

Don't see any obvious solutions. We're a nation of junk food junkies. So we've got junk health, too.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:55 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
It's the American lifestyle overall...poor diets, large portions and lack of exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm pretty sure Michelle O is overweight, if not obese.
Why didn't you link to her most recent pics? Oh yea, wouldn't fit your agenda. Anyway, where do you see an obese or even overweight former first lady?

Pennsylvania Conference For Women 2017 Photos and Images | Getty Images

Old 10-14-2017, 01:15 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Modern wheat is worse than soda. No one needs to be eating wheat, and you will lose weight easily as it has appetite stimulating properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies