Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 02:12 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Corresponds to the increase in Food Stamp recipients over the same time period. The USDA knows it's a problem. USDA Food Stamp obesity statistics, and the USDA OIG report...

The obesity rates of the poor on food stamps compared to the poor who aren't on food stamps, and compared to the rest of the population:

Income-eligible children on food stamps: 24%
Income-eligible children NOT on food stamps: 20%
Non-poor children who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 13%

Income-eligible adults on food stamps: 44% obese
Income-eligible adults NOT on food stamps: 33% obese
Non-poor adults who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 32% obese

Exhibit 5, here:
http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...-SNAP07-10.pdf

It certainly does appear that the children of poor and low-income families who receive free school breakfast, lunch, etc., program meals, regardless of whether they get food stamps, are being overfed.

Additionally, the USDA OIG (Office of the Inspector General) suggests there's a problem with poor and low-income families stacking multiple public assistance benefits for the exact same meals (e.g., parents given food stamps to pay for providing breakfast and lunch for their children, but their children are eating at school - free breakfast and lunch programs and sometimes dinner, too, even in the summer and on school holidays). That enables the food stamp recipient adults to overeat.

According to the OIG, 59% of families on food stamps simultaneously get benefits from 2 or more major free food programs for the exact same daily meals. That fact published by the USDA OIG.

http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/27001-0001-10.pdf

Are we really doing the poor any favors by causing their obesity by letting them double-dip and sometimes even triple-dip government free food program benefits, thereby enabling their overeating and ruining their health?
Yep, the #1 food stamp purchase is SODA. FFS why are our tax dollars being used to fatten up little kids? So more of our tax dollars can be taken to provide them with healthcare down the road?

It's despicable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 02:15 PM

29 posts, read 18,745 times
This is not something that is a surprise is it? With the amount of sugar and processed foods that we push on ourselves and our kids, there has to be consequences. Lucky are those that can eat whatever and stay thin, though they are few and far between.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:15 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
That is what happens when the CHEAPEST foods are also the LEAST healthy. That is the root cause, IMO.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:16 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Yep, the #1 food stamp purchase is SODA. FFS why are our tax dollars being used to fatten up little kids? So more of our tax dollars can be taken to provide them with healthcare down the road?

It's despicable.
Corporate interest that is why. Food stamps should be more of a wic type program.

Also plenty of fat asses not drinking soda and not on snap. In fact, boomers are a very unhealthy generation on average.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:23 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
In most towns all across America there's a fast food restaurant or a Dunkin Donuts on almost every street corner......

Food stamps should not be allowed to buy soda, candy, chips or junk food, period.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:24 PM

97 posts, read 104,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
That is what happens when the CHEAPEST foods are also the LEAST healthy. That is the root cause, IMO.
Good point, I worked in food bank for a little bit and most of the food was not healthy and highly processed. When and if we did get vegetables and fruits they mostly sat or went bad before they could be donated.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:32 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
many of the kids that we thought of as fat in elementary school would be considered entirely average today.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:40 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Costs me about 20 bucks or so to put together a healthy balanced dinner for 2, on top of shopping time + prep and cook time. Could eat microwaved trash for about 5-8 bucks, or fast food trash for a bit less than 20 with much less time investment. Not sure I can imagine what it would be like to try and live only on TV dinner type swill.

Of course, if I cook the meal myself it will actually be delicious so there is that...

Granted I live in a relatively high COL area.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:44 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Costs me about 20 bucks or so to put together a healthy balanced dinner for 2, on top of shopping time + prep and cook time. Could eat microwaved trash for about 5-8 bucks, or fast food trash for a bit less than 20 with much less time investment. Not sure I can imagine what it would be like to try and live only on TV dinner type swill.

Of course, if I cook the meal myself it will actually be delicious so there is that...

the time factor is something that is too often ignored. the fast, convenient stuff tends to be unhealthy more often than not.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:49 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:

Less extreme, but when I was at my poorest going through chemo and having to choose some weeks between filling a prescription or eating, I ate a lot of processed garbage like seasoned rice and beans, instant mashed potatoes, etc because they were cheap and quick to prepare. I could feel full for under $2 a meal.

I cook most of my meals now, which are mostly vegetables with a small serving of meat, and generally little to no processed carbs. Even shopping sales, it's generally $6-8 a meal and takes up a lot more time. By the time I get home from work at 7 or 8, the last thing I want to do is cook - but I do because I'm making a huge effort. If I had kids on top of financial worries, I don't know how easy it would be to avoid the prepackaged crap. I tend to make a ton of something on Sunday and eat it all week, but that would be more challenging to do for multiple family members.

Food banks tend to be packed with the prepackaged, processed foods. When I went when I was sick, there was little there that could be considered healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies