U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 08:45 PM

7,128 posts, read 2,187,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
They stayed in New Orleans and other areas after Katrina for 10 years. They've been in PR what, a month? I wonder why the different standard? 🤔
Well, I highly doubt that the Fema organization was completely gutted and new people are working since Trump took office, so could it be possible they are having problems working with the local governments? I live in Florida, and in 2005, we were being hit with hurricanes back to back. We lost power, and I remember power companies coming in from out of state to come and help, but when they got here, local governments told them they wasted their time and to please leave. So many areas had to wait quite a bit to get their electricity back because government bureaucrats wanted to play power games. They were slammed for what they did, and now, it's a much more inclusive effort to get grids back up.

If I'm not mistaken, that was the same year Katrina hit NOLA. And now we know that the mayor of that city at that time is in a federal prison, for taking bribes and fraud with Katrina money funds. Makes me wonder what is really going on down there in Puerto Rico. They bring in too much revenue being a vacation destination for them to allow their infrastructure to have deteriorated. So, where is all of the tax revenue going if it's not being used to keep the roads and electrical grids upgraded to the latest technological advancements available?
Rate this post positively

Old 10-13-2017, 08:47 PM

7,391 posts, read 2,568,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I said "a definition", not THE definition...

You're too clever by half
A definition? A fake definition? You just make stuff up?

You can't just say something is a definition when it's not.

Not so clever.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:52 PM

35,936 posts, read 46,049,380 times
The longer PR remains a disaster area, the more of the residents move to the mainland - especially Florida where they can vote. Florida is trending more blue each day and with the addition of even more angry Puerto Ricans, it could be that it will be forever blue in the future. Who knows? Maybe Irma and Trump's response to it made 2016 the last time in a long time that Republicans win a presidential election.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:53 PM

22,973 posts, read 25,085,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacove View Post
so trump will cut off aid, puerto rico will flounder and become something like haiti, puerto ricans will move to the mainland and vote.

23% of puerto ricans vote in referendum, 97% of them for statehood
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/11/u...statehood.html

republicans don't want puerto rico to be a state because they fear losing their majority in the senate.
^^^^^^ tds alert ***** tds alert ^^^^^^

Old 10-13-2017, 08:55 PM

28,519 posts, read 16,310,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The longer PR remains a disaster area, the more of the residents move to the mainland - especially Florida where they can vote. Florida is trending more blue each day and with the addition of even more angry Puerto Ricans, it could be that it will be forever blue in the future.
Irma came first and I wondered if the retirees would stay another year. I got jumped on for suggesting fla become blue again, now I’m sure of it .

Old 10-13-2017, 09:01 PM

11,048 posts, read 4,671,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So Trump will cut off aid, Puerto Rico will flounder and become something like Haiti, Puerto Ricans will move to the mainland and vote.

23% of Puerto Ricans Vote in Referendum, 97% of Them for Statehood
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/11/u...statehood.html

Republicans don't want Puerto Rico to be a state because they fear losing their majority in the Senate.

it is Congress that gives aid and signs the checks and gives money to FEMA to operate.

Democrats don't want P.R. to be a state either because they are in bed politically with the Anti-statehood left in Puerto Rico....why do you think Obama went to P.R. in 2012? he was there to get campaign contributions in the island. That's why Obama let out of prison the anti-American communist terrorist Oscar Lopez who is a hero to the anti-America left in P.R..
So did Hillary Clinton......the Democrat party has always been in bed with the colonial powers in P.R.

all the Puerto Rican democrat Representatives in Congress from Luis Gutierrez from Chicago to Nydia Velazquez from New York are against Statehood for Puerto Rico.....they are anti-American lefties but that's another topic.

after 100 years, why do you think the Democrat party has NEVER push statehood for P.R.?....not JFK, not LBJ, not Carter, not Clinton or Obama....because that party has strong ties to the PPD and PIP parties of P.R. who are the parties of anti-statehood.

the Democrat party doesn't have statehood for P.R. in the party's platform.

don't believe me, look it up.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 10-13-2017 at 09:15 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 09:14 PM

11,048 posts, read 4,671,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The longer PR remains a disaster area, the more of the residents move to the mainland - especially Florida where they can vote. Florida is trending more blue each day and with the addition of even more angry Puerto Ricans, it could be that it will be forever blue in the future. Who knows? Maybe Irma and Trump's response to it made 2016 the last time in a long time that Republicans win a presidential election.

keep dreaming......Florida is still a Republican state, from the state legislature, governorship and federal representation.

Governor Republican
LT. Governor Republican
Florida Senate: Republican 24 to 16 edge
Florida House of Rep.: Republican 77 to 41 edge
U.S. Congress: Republican...... 16 to 11 edge

Puerto Ricans are 4.5% of the population in Florida....Cubans are the largest with 7% of the population and they tend to vote Republican, especially how left the Democrat party has gone.

plus in Florida, you have a lot of military veterans who are retired and they vote Republican 3 to 1.

not all Puerto Ricans blame Trump for the mess in Puerto Rico, they are not blind or born yesterday.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:16 PM

20,600 posts, read 11,343,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Why was it not distributed prior, when it was delivered?

Your last sentence is about right for a trump hater...

First you say he failed his physical and did not et drafted and then you say he did volunteer....how does that make sense, unless your a trump hater....
You missed the word 'nor.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:13 PM

11,873 posts, read 3,851,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
you don't know what you are talking about....I have lived in Puerto Rico, you haven't.

the Electric power is run by the government of P.R......the power grid should have been replaced 40 years ago because it's cr@p and they charge high rates to the people of P.R. and steal the revenues. The power service should have been PRIVATIZED decades ago to get it out of the dirty hands of the corrupt politicians and their friends in the government of P.R.

and you want Trump to fix all that in 3 weeks? stop talking nonsense.

the good thing about Hurricane Maria is the inept and corrupt government of P.R. and the Power Service got exposed to the world but you want to blame it on Trump.
Noting you have responded to my comment that Mr. Trump's "putting them on notice' in this context is meaningless."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
it is Congress that gives aid and signs the checks and gives money to FEMA to operate. ...
^Here you confirm how meaningless his nonsensical blustering is.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:24 PM

2,215 posts, read 947,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Well, I highly doubt that the Fema organization was completely gutted and new people are working since Trump took office, so could it be possible they are having problems working with the local governments? I live in Florida, and in 2005, we were being hit with hurricanes back to back. We lost power, and I remember power companies coming in from out of state to come and help, but when they got here, local governments told them they wasted their time and to please leave. So many areas had to wait quite a bit to get their electricity back because government bureaucrats wanted to play power games. They were slammed for what they did, and now, it's a much more inclusive effort to get grids back up.

If I'm not mistaken, that was the same year Katrina hit NOLA. And now we know that the mayor of that city at that time is in a federal prison, for taking bribes and fraud with Katrina money funds. Makes me wonder what is really going on down there in Puerto Rico. They bring in too much revenue being a vacation destination for them to allow their infrastructure to have deteriorated. So, where is all of the tax revenue going if it's not being used to keep the roads and electrical grids upgraded to the latest technological advancements available?
Plus they kept issuing muncipal bonds one batch right after the other.
They got themselves $172 billion in debt. They just recently went to Congress because they skipped a $370 million bond interest payment due to them having no money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.