U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 08:22 AM

41,478 posts, read 55,693,584 times

Advertisements

The Donald and I are about the same age. In the 60's when I was visiting relatives in Brooklyn they considered Puerto Ricans to be a lower life form closer to whale s**** then real people. Trump lived in Queens and probably absorbed the same ideas about Puerto Rican's. He is just reacting to his inner belief that poor PR's do not deserver to be American's let alone receive the kind of investment they need to join the 21st century.

This racial obsession with the inherent inferiority of poor brown people is guiding all of is relief efforts. I can only wait to see how much money he is going to dump into the fire forests of northern California after the ongoing disaster. Maybe he won't send anything help as everybody, especially his deluded mind, knows that these places always vote for Democrats even if they are mostly white like Huston and Florida.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-12-2017, 08:26 AM

15,721 posts, read 10,832,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Once the supplies are delivered and the area stabilized, FEMA should leave. Let the locals take care of themselves. This is a STATE issue now.
PR isn't a State, and they don't have the resources places like Texas have, where Trump said he'd help them completely rebuild.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:26 AM

38,863 posts, read 22,961,749 times
Thumbs down Trump threatens to pull FEMA from Puerto Rico

Millions of Americans suffering after a tremendous hurricane devastates the area.

The relief effort has been sluggish and ineffective.

The so-called American "prez" throws a juvenile fit and threatens to end that aid.

His Trumpling followers cheer him on.

You simply can't make this stuff up.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:27 AM

9,734 posts, read 8,960,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Donald and I are about the same age. In the 60's when I was visiting relatives in Brooklyn they considered Puerto Ricans to be a lower life form closer to whale s**** then real people. Trump lived in Queens and probably absorbed the same ideas about Puerto Rican's. He is just reacting to his inner belief that poor PR's do not deserver to be American's let alone receive the kind of investment they need to join the 21st century.

This racial obsession with the inherent inferiority of poor brown people is guiding all of is relief efforts. I can only wait to see how much money he is going to dump into the fire forests of northern California after the ongoing disaster. Maybe he won't send anything help as everybody, especially his deluded mind, knows that these places always vote for Democrats even if they are mostly white like Huston and Florida.
If California can afford to be a sanctuary state, they can afford to fight their own fires. Send some of their "new labor" to do the work.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:29 AM

12,584 posts, read 7,639,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
He didn't say he would stay in Florida and Texas forever; He said he would stay as long as it took to rebuild.

The problem with Puerto Rico is that they had major problems with their infrastructure before the storm. It is not FEMA's job to fix problems that were not caused by the storm. FEMA needs to stay as long as is necessary to get Puerto Rico back on their feet, and then it is the people and government of Puerto Rico's job to take it from there.

I swear you people would find a problem with anything. Saying they will not stay forever is completely benign and reasonable.

I have seen where President Trump has stated that PR had 'major problems' with their infrastructure prior to the storm, which assertion you now repeat.

Can you cite some examples of how it was in PR before the storm?

I will be helpful in stating that 'infrastructure' refers to "the fundamental facilities and systems serving a country, city, or area, as transportation and communication systems, power plants, and schools."

Infrastructure | Define Infrastructure at Dictionary.com

For instance, it is my understanding that PRIOR to the storm 100 percent of the citizens enjoyed electrical power, safe drinking water, and cell phone service. PR had, prior to the storm, a network of roads and bridges that one could travel upon. You had functioning schools, hospitals, and government. You had ports that were open for ships, both cargo and passenger. You had a functioning airport.

Anyway, since Mr. Trump is not here to answer my question, perhaps you would inform me of the state of the infrastructure in PR prior to the storm.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:30 AM
Noc

1,436 posts, read 1,935,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Why not? We've kept the military in Afghanistan for 16 years. Trump said he'd stay with Texas and Florida as long as it took for them to rebuild. Why treat PR differently? It's only been 3 weeks.

That's the problem right there. it's not like it's been 3 months or 3 years with no end in sight. Barely a dent has been made in the recovery effort or not a noticeable enough one to say that PR is on any kind of recovery path that a plan to gradually remove FEMA is even a warranted discussion at this point.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:33 AM

63,536 posts, read 48,957,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Houston is about "half brown" and the hardest hit areas even moreso.

The constant need to spin stories to create racism and social division out of thin air gets pretty old.

Trump is a buffoon (in general) but this is just partisan sniping.

I spent 8 years around here defending Obama from the same sort of partisan crap over every little thing so I'm well practiced dealing with it. The OP is just doing what the right wingers did before them.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:33 AM

16,140 posts, read 22,710,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Trump threatens to pull FEMA from Puerto Rico - ABC15 Arizona

Everyday you think this monster can't get any worse, and yet he does something even more vile. Maybe Trump actually is the anti-Christ.
Such an irrational comment to a logical rational statement made by our President.

You basically misunderstand the role of FEMA.
For example you wouldn't expect the EMT who got you to the hospital to stick around and help you through surgery you can't expect first responders to stick around and rebuild infrastructure.

Local public agencies, private charity's and other religious based agencies are the usual organizations that manage volunteers and donations that are the source of rebuilding efforts following major disasters.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:36 AM

63,536 posts, read 48,957,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
That's the problem right there. it's not like it's been 3 months or 3 years with no end in sight. Barely a dent has been made in the recovery effort or not a noticeable enough one to say that PR is on any kind of recovery path that a plan to gradually remove FEMA is even a warranted discussion at this point.
Isn't the real proof of the matter is when he actually DOES withdraw FEMA (if he even has that power).

Words are pretty empty on the topic, let's see what is actually done eh?

Old 10-12-2017, 08:40 AM

38,436 posts, read 50,116,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
What, exactly, is FEMA "doing" in Puerto Rico? I ask because FEMA tends to be a paperwork, logistical organizational, check writing organization and not hands on reconnect the electric lines group of people.

There are time frames for most FEMA actions although applications for reimbursements to governments can go on for up to 18 months after the event. Reimbursement programs and grants for individuals and business will typically last 24 months and then sunset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.