U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 03:11 PM

1,737 posts, read 843,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Are you going to answer the question? Are YOU there to know who is or is not active?

I see a lot of talking and assuming and I want to know which posters have been and/or currently are there.
I haven't been there but my ex-sister-in-law is there.

She posted the following on her facebook page a while back.

Quote:
I got online for the first time in days and one of the very first things I saw was an out and out lie about the government's response to the crisis I am in the middle of.

I don't care if you hate or love Trump, using the crisis in Puerto Rico to spread political lies is disgusting!

I am literally across the street from the airport, and the hotel I am in is where many of the first responders are staying, so here is what is going on from someone who is actually here seeing it.

The government is here and has been here!

Every single day plane after plane full of FEMA, FBI, homeland security, army, Air Force, Marines, and extra police officers from all over the country shows up.
Cargo plane after cargo plane and ship after ship full of supplies shows up. There is a hospital ship off the coast that I can see from the beach.
The response was quick and it keeps coming!
They are out every day from sun up until sun down.

This isn't a political issue, it is a humanitarian one.
The lies being spread about the response aren't helping the people here, it is just fueling hate based on lies!

If you want to help Puerto Rico, donate money or supplies and pray.
If you want to play politics find something else to argue about!

Not like there aren't hundreds of topics for you to choose from!

Edited to add this- Roads have been completely destroyed in many areas, especially the remote ones. The military and FEMA are going out to these places on foot with 100 lbs + packs on their backs.

It is requiring them to cut their way through flooded areas to get there. It will take time to reach everyone when conditions are as bad as they are.

Thank you, Sandi Davis!
Rate this post positively

Old 10-14-2017, 03:38 PM

487 posts, read 491,148 times
Of course, the San Juan Mayor got the publicity. The fake news media jumped on it and ignored the positive work being done.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:41 PM

2,419 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Why not? We've kept the military in Afghanistan for 16 years. Trump said he'd stay with Texas and Florida as long as it took for them to rebuild. Why treat PR differently? It's only been 3 weeks.
I'll do you one better....

we've kept the military in Germany and Japan for 72 YEARS. And Korea longer.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:48 PM

1,130 posts, read 614,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
We were without power after Sandy for 14 days, people a lot longer than that. We were blessed that we did not lose our homes as many did. FEMA came in, worked very hard to stabilize the area ..... we had a great respect for what they did. They were not expected to stay here until things were back to normal. The state, counties, and municipalities worked to get there communities rebuilt and back to normalcy. Individuals worked hard to get their lives back in order. There should be a time when FEMA pulls out. I am sure it will be when safety and health issues are under control.

Our friend has family in the San Juan area. We are only hearing positives about the help they are getting firsthand. Why don't we hear more of this on the news instead.

I still cannot believe the mayor was on TV condeming the our government when piles of food were behind her. That probably wasn't the best place to stage her to blasting.
She seized all those for herself

Old 10-14-2017, 05:21 PM

11,048 posts, read 4,671,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I'll do you one better....

we've kept the military in Germany and Japan for 72 YEARS. And Korea longer.

we are not there to rebuild those countries and take over the responsibilities of their local government and community. We kept the military in Germany and Japan and Korea to prevent communism expansion and we keep them now for strategic defense to defend our interests in the region.....If you want to bring them back to save money, I'm all for it.

it's funny that the Puerto Rican left including the communist mayor of San Juan, Carmen Yulin, protested to kick out the U.S. Navy base out of P.R. because of anti-American politics which they did successfully in 2002 but now they want the U.S. military to stay forever to do their jobs?

Last edited by Hellion1999; 10-14-2017 at 05:57 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 08:24 AM

14,728 posts, read 4,907,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
I haven't been there but my ex-sister-in-law is there.

She posted the following on her facebook page a while back.
Does she live there? Is she in the communities? The government has been there for awhile because Puerto Rico was a lifeline to the USVI after Irma, prior to Maria. But no one said that government wasn't there. There were just those who found the aid insufficient based on the need they saw in the communities...

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 10-15-2017 at 08:34 AM..

Old 10-15-2017, 08:28 AM

28,519 posts, read 16,310,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
Of course, the San Juan Mayor got the publicity. The fake news media jumped on it and ignored the positive work being done.
are you there? 12 of my coworkers are

Old 10-15-2017, 08:29 AM

38,973 posts, read 50,934,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Does she live there? Is she in the communities? The government has been there for awhile because Puerto Rico was a lifeline to the USVI after Irma, prior to Maria. But no one said that government wasn't there. There were just those who found the aid insudeficient based on the need they saw in the communities...
Why do you keep trying to argue with people who are supporting what you're saying?

And yes, in the post you quoted the poster's sister is in Puerto Rico.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:30 AM

28,519 posts, read 16,310,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
we are not there to rebuild those countries and take over the responsibilities of their local government and community. We kept the military in Germany and Japan and Korea to prevent communism expansion and we keep them now for strategic defense to defend our interests in the region.....If you want to bring them back to save money, I'm all for it.

it's funny that the Puerto Rican left including the communist mayor of San Juan, Carmen Yulin, protested to kick out the U.S. Navy base out of P.R. because of anti-American politics which they did successfully in 2002 but now they want the U.S. military to stay forever to do their jobs?

those countries

PUERTO RICO IS AMERICAN!!--- VI is also American WTH???? gets some books out and get educated

Old 10-15-2017, 08:32 AM

14,728 posts, read 4,907,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post

When did the mayor say the U.S. military should stay forever?

Why are you assuming that Puerto Ricans aren't working?

The reality is that many statesiders are making assumptions as to what locals are doing but don't have a clue or are willfully blind.

YOU DID NOT GO THROUGH TWO CATEGORY 5 (OR 4) HURRICANES BACK TO BACK.

YOU DON'T LIVE ON ANY U.S. CARIBBEAN ISLAND SO YOU KNOW LITTLE TO NOTHING ABOUT WHAT RECOVERY ENTAILS.

Communities have been out since the storms hit. Stateside media hadn't even arrived. Little do you people know that the Puerto Rican National Guard was here in the USVI when Irma devastated St. Thomas and St. John. Some of then were still here serving when Maria hit Puerto Rico. A number of then went back to help in PR.

So no, Puerto Rico wasn't just sitting around after Irma. In fact, they were reaching out to their neighbor and not griping about not wanting to send aid when they had sustained damage too. They took in our seriously ill. They were a lifeline to us. Neither are they sitting around after Maria. There are plenty Puerto Ricans working on their island and on others.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 10-15-2017 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.