Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 04:40 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,214,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The timing of the Trump tax cuts and elimination of healthcare cost subsidies to the poor come at the same time. Is the sacrifice of the poor for the benefit of the rich? If so, it will follow the traditional GOP game plan.
Well, I'm sorry to inform you that the subsidies were illegal. Obama had absolutely no Constitutional authority to authorize those subsidies after the House had already rejected them.

Ending the illegal subsidies had nothing to do with tax reform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So ironic that the people most impacted by these moves are the very ones who voted for Trump.
Are you serious? The people who want "free stuff" supported Hillary!

Old 10-15-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Of course!

It's THE ONE single policy that ALL Pubs in office will agree on.

Working families have too much and are greedy.

Millionaires are suffering and needy.

It's the GOP's bedrock principle.

You don't care that the subsidies were illegal, of course. Typical Leftist. Screw the Constitution; give me money!

Old 10-15-2017, 04:52 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,793,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Doesn't matter what you think. The problem with thwarting the evolutionary process of natural selection by artificially supporting the weak, incapable, and irresponsible (again, PARENTS are responsible for their children) means a future in which people are weaker, less healthy, more obese, less intelligent, and increasingly less able to support themselves. And that's already happening.

Ever see Idiocracy? Watch it sometime.
I think I have heard this some where before. I think some nations went to war over it. I think one of the nations had a really deranged leader. His name escapes me though.

Do you have a newsletter that I can subscribe to ?

Old 10-15-2017, 04:54 PM

88,640 posts, read 44,393,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I think I have heard this some where before.
Yes, you have: Charles Darwin and the left-wing progressives in the early 20th century, including Margaret Sanger (founder of Planned Parenthood), etc.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:29 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,122,773 times
Quote:
Pointless. Get back to me when 100% of 1040 filers pay federal income tax. Until then, at least 45% aren't paying their fair share.
Sure. Raise the federal minimum wage to a "living wage" so people make enough money to stay above the federal poverty line, not qualify for EITC nor food stamps. I'm sure the working poor would love to pay taxes.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Sure. Raise the federal minimum wage to a "living wage" so people make enough money to stay above the federal poverty line, not qualify for EITC nor food stamps. I'm sure the working poor would love to pay taxes.
Why? Plenty of people have managed to work their way into a living wage. If they can do it, so can anyone else.

Develop increasingly valuable marketable skills. That can be done on the job. Don't have kids until you can afford to support them. Don't waste money on things you don't need. Save and invest, instead. Etc. It's not rocket science.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You don't care that the subsidies were illegal, of course. Typical Leftist. Screw the Constitution; give me money!
I fully agree. Obama's CSR direct insurance company payments, not authorized by a Congressional spending law, were and are illegal. So end the payments.

That said, where's Trump's plan to provide additional LEGAL subsidies, authorized by Congress, to prevent large premium increases? Absent that, Trump's executive order isn't a righteous action to stop an illegal payment, it's an excuse to hurt millions of people while torpedoing Obamacare.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Why? Plenty of people have managed to work their way into a living wage. If they can do it, so can anyone else.
Okay, if everyone learns a skill to move up and make more money, who is going to bus the tables, wash the dishes, change the hotel sheets or vacuum the car at the car wash? There's always a need for unskilled labor and there's no dishonor in doing that work. When wages are suppressed and they qualify for food stamps and EITC, it increases government spending and jacks up the poverty rates.

Raise the minimum wage to a living wage and the taxpayers will save billions because the working poor will no longer qualify for food stamps and EITC payments. The working poor will start paying taxes. It would help reduce government spending and the deficit.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Okay, if everyone learns a skill to move up and make more money, who is going to bus the tables, wash the dishes, change the hotel sheets or vacuum the car at the car wash?
The young, just starting out. I had jobs like that during high school and college. That work experience taught me a lot, including how to work my way up the wage scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies