Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 10:24 PM

88,681 posts, read 44,430,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Do you have a problem with the poor being on medicaid.
Not if they PAY for it. YOU'RE the one who said we ALL need to pay into the system.

Quote:
Maybe many should stop having kids they can't afford. Oh, but birth control and abortion is illegal
Since when is birth control illegal? It's free (taxpayer-subsidized) at literally tens of thousands of public health department family planning clinics throughout the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 10:38 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,529,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post

If you have COPD and can't afford your meds or treatments, what do you do?
If you have a sudden dx of cancer and need surgery, chemo, radiation, what do you do?
If you have an exacerbation of a chronic illness requiring hospitalization, what do you do?

I see this issue as a moral ethical dilemma of the country, to "save" those w/ insurance and let the others die. It's a seriously morally challenged position to take, which scares me more than the insurance issue.
You simply go to a busy street corner with a sign and beg for money to pay for needed medical attention. If you feel too sick to do that, then beg for a friend or relative to do the begging for you.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:45 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,529,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Health care is not a right. Sounds cold, but it's true. It's our personal responsibility - first. That means we are the first line of defense. Take care of yourself. Educate yourself so you can get a job and pay for care when needed. Exercise. Eat right. That doesn't cover everything, but it helps.
In other words, try to get on that other Republican Health Care Plan -- DON'T GET SICK!

Old 10-13-2017, 11:08 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,546,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The reason it is so expensive is the non paying illegals get care but those who are paying are getting higher costs to pay for those illegals. The hospitals would-be bankrupt because someone has to pay. We also know that we also pick up the cost of shoplifters though higher costs. It is the same thing.

There's an indicator of a true conservative, equating a poor person being given essential medical care, to a shoplifter.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:37 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,920,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Like you "care" about anyone but yourself other than virtue signaling drivel.
Wanting people to have healthcare is "virtue signalling"? The difference between me and you is I look beyond my own paycheck. I want to live in a better world not one ruled by greed.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:39 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,920,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
There's an indicator of a true conservative, equating a poor person being given essential medical care, to a shoplifter.
Conservatives think the poor are an inconvenience.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:53 AM

88,681 posts, read 44,430,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Wanting people to have healthcare is "virtue signalling"? The difference between me and you is I look beyond my own paycheck. I want to live in a better world not one ruled by greed.
A lot of liberals "say" that, but look at the severe homelessness problems in liberal cities (SF, etc.). Why aren't they "looking beyond their own paychecks" and sheltering the homeless? Shelter is an even more life-sustaining need than health care. Food, clothing, shelter. Put your own money where your mouths are and fix the problems in your own midsts before sticking your hands in our pockets to pay for others' health care.

Top 10 cities with the most homeless:

NYC
Los Angeles
Seattle
San Diego
Las Vegas
Washington, DC
Chicago
San Francisco
Honolulu
Portland

Liberals don't give a chit about the poor. They're just money grubbers, wanting to take from others.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:07 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,555,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I spent the summer rehabbing properties I purchased in a midwest state. The amount of people obese was astounding. I would guess 40% morbidly obese. The thin ones are chain smokers.

My issue is I take care of myself. Not perfect but I have never been more than 20 pounds over weight. I am in my 50's now. I don't have diabetes, my cholesterol is normal I exercise daily and try to eat right.

The people I have been observing are already at or nearing all kinds of health problems. I watched numerous people in their 40's using scooters in Walmart because they are too fat walk around the store.

I used to have a plan with a very high deductible that kicked it with a serious medical problem. The other stuff I am fine paying out of pocket.

I would like it if those types of policies came back. Obamacare killed them.

Why should I pay for people who have no self control and are the reason they need special medical care?

I am fine paying for people with people who have an illness that is no fault of their own. But I don't want to pay for people with pre exisiting illnesses that are totally their fault. They need to pay large amounts for their medical insurance or develop self control.
So your small government solution is to appoint a bureaucrat to determine whether particular afflictions are the patient's fault on a case by case basis? Sounds workable.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:09 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,444,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
You're complete out of touch with reality if you think anything but mid-high level salaried positions come with health care.
They did before OBcare. Home Depot offered insurance at a lower price than the marketplace before it started and the insurance was better.

Listen, taking from the middle class to feed the healthcare pool for the poor didn't work. It just brought more middle class down to a poor level. Back to the drawing board is where we should be headed. OBcare just didn't work. The middle-class cant withstand being the providers for the needy.

We really need a nonprofit for all option. Let those who can afford it pay for independent supplement insurance. Hopefully, somebody will have the balls to get it done. Might not be Trump, but eventually, it will happen, its the only option which is what all other countries have figured out.

Obama promised one thing and enacted another. Doesn't make it work. It simply failed. The middle class cannot afford to carry the poor on their backs.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:19 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,546,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I spent the summer rehabbing properties I purchased in a midwest state. The amount of people obese was astounding. I would guess 40% morbidly obese. The thin ones are chain smokers.

My issue is I take care of myself. Not perfect but I have never been more than 20 pounds over weight. I am in my 50's now. I don't have diabetes, my cholesterol is normal I exercise daily and try to eat right.

The people I have been observing are already at or nearing all kinds of health problems. I watched numerous people in their 40's using scooters in Walmart because they are too fat walk around the store.

I used to have a plan with a very high deductible that kicked it with a serious medical problem. The other stuff I am fine paying out of pocket.

I would like it if those types of policies came back. Obamacare killed them.

Why should I pay for people who have no self control and are the reason they need special medical care?

I am fine paying for people with people who have an illness that is no fault of their own. But I don't want to pay for people with pre exisiting illnesses that are totally their fault. They need to pay large amounts for their medical insurance or develop self control.
I am sick to death of arguments like this. Yes, there are people who are overweight and who do not live healthy lifestyles, but there are also many people who become ill or injured through no fault of their own. I also have to wonder where you shop, because I have never seen anyone like that at our local Walmart, or anywhere else. The people I have seen using scooters were always either old or obviously injured.

This kind of BS is nothing more than a dressed-up version of the argument that bad things never happen to good people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies