Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 04:16 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes it is. Both coasts have rich liberals. Why aren't they adequately funding charity hospitals/clinics for the poor?
Because ultimately they believe in perpetuating there own wealth? Not a very leftist value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 04:19 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You simply go to a busy street corner with a sign and beg for money to pay for needed medical attention. If you feel too sick to do that, then beg for a friend or relative to do the begging for you.
Cities all over country are cracking down on panhandling. I guess if you're put into jail you might get lucky and get one of these places that gets inmates medical care.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Is it morally acceptable to live in a society that tramples on the poor?
That’s absurd. What does a society do to trample the poor?

In American society, the poor stay poor because of their poor choices not because of the society. One only needs to look at Asians to know. Asians are the most discriminated race but they rank the highest in income.

I also suggest that as a society, we should voluntarily pool out obey together to help the poor.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:22 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
That’s absurd. What does a society do to trample the poor?

In American society, the poor stay poor because of their poor choices
Calvinism heavily influences american society.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:24 PM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Cities all over country are cracking down on panhandling. I guess if you're put into jail you might get lucky and get one of these places that gets inmates medical care.
Panhandling has been upheld as a 1st amendment right. Interfering with the movement of people while panhandling can be criminal, as can threatening or coercing donations, but simply holding a sign up asking for donations is legal in every City and State in the US

Old 10-14-2017, 05:40 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
48% of all US births are paid by Medicaid. 43% of CHIP/Medicaid enrollees are under age 18. They're by far the highest percentage group in CHIP/Medicaid. The average cost for enrollees' benefits is $7,500/year. It's not low cost. At all
That money is not evenly distributed. Most goes toward things that happen in hospitals and high cost drugs, which for kids is super concentrated. The conversation about what we are or are not willing to spend as a society on healthcare for children whose parents are unable or unwilling to provide is not a discussion about responsibility but about the most extreme cases: when a baby is born that will need a long stay in a neonatal intensive care unit or has a severe and incurable genetic disease, how many hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars should the rest of society bear to keep them alive? A premature NICU stay can run into the hundreds of thousands, a single hemophilia or cystic fibrosis case into the millions. It's a far less comfortable question but it's the one that drives how much money is needed for the system.

Of course, no one wants to grapple with that, because of the heartlessness of saying, no, we won't save this kid or the brainlessness of asking taxpayers to put in 20,000 hours worth of work each year so a newborn can live out their 8,760 hours a year of life. Neither 'nothing' nor 'anything' are good choices here of what we should be willing to spend, and in refusing to look at the core issue most conservatives and liberals in effect end up taking on one of the bad extreme sides.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:38 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Panhandling has been upheld as a 1st amendment right. Interfering with the movement of people while panhandling can be criminal, as can threatening or coercing donations, but simply holding a sign up asking for donations is legal in every City and State in the US
In Lexington, KY they have an anti-panhandling van that gives panhandlers 'choice' of working cleaning roads and other tasks for $9/hour or are threatened with arrest. They copied it from something another city was doing.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:13 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnj1960 View Post
what year was he born?

Old 10-14-2017, 08:16 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Why did you start this thread?

Do you think your sometimes overt and sometimes passive aggressive attempts to get those who disagree with you to feel what you see as the guilt they need to feel is going to work.....ending up with changed minds?

Or do you want to get said people on the record in a centralized place that you can use in the future for purposes of demonizing them in other threads?

Why did you start this thread?
I atarted the thread because I wanted to see if people had any positive ideas on how to get health care to people who need it. I also wanted to know if people thought it was even necessary or not their problems. I wanted to get an idea of what kind of country people who don't think like me, want to live in.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I atarted the thread because I wanted to see if people had any positive ideas on how to get health care to people who need it. I also wanted to know if people thought it was even necessary or not their problems. I wanted to get an idea of what kind of country people who don't think like me, want to live in.
Like I said, people should voluntarily pool our money together and assist the poor.

That is the proper solution.

Forcing other people at gunpoint to pay your health care is never moral, just or fair. It is evil and selfish to the extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies