Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 04:10 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
LOL. Dems blocked any input from Repubs behind closed doors and private meetings. That's why zero R's voted for this disaster.
Republicans had plenty of influence. No public option for one.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:10 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I would be fine with this. This is not the right way to handle this.

Do it through legislation. Don't dismantle the system by intentionally sabotaging it and putting millions of people's health and lives at risk.

It's just creating confusion and instability in the Health Care market, and it is going to hurt real Americans.
I agree. I also disagreed when Obama put all that in place via EO rather than get Congress to amend the ACA.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:13 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
what you are forgetting is that when you open up the markets to greater competition, then the insurance companies are going to compete for your insurance dollars. and that is regardless of where the insurance company is based.

for instance, if you buy a plan from a company in arizona, as opposed to a company in hew york, while the rates are going to be based on market prices, the arizona company might offer a lower rate than a new york company to get your money. or they might offer the same rate as a new york company, but might offer other incentives, like for instance the arizona company might offer lower copays, or no copays.

and yes the insurance offering will still be regulated by the states where the states where the insurance is sold, i am not suggesting otherwise.

as for the medicare advantage plans, those are regulated by the federal government and thus have been considered interstate commerce, and are sold to a limited market to begin with, and you can STILL note that competition has lowered the rates on those plans.
But what I'm saying is... even if the rates will be lower for an AZ plan, whether it's because it's just lower or they offer additional incentives to out of staters, it will still be tied to the local network. That's just how insurance works. How could an insurance company charge a person in NYC the same as it charges a person in AZ (or less) when they have to reimburse the much more expensive NYC cost of services? I just don't see it happening, and some insurance CEOs have already pointed out that it doesn't really make sense.

My point with the Medicare Advantage plans is that, even as interstate plans, they are dictated by local networks. As in a New Yorker buying an AZ-based Medicare Advantage plan is only covered for doctors in the AZ market. Of course more competition will always lower prices but because the nature of the product is local, it's just not going to be useful even if the price is lower. Like with anything... you can go get a babysitter in AZ right now for much cheaper than one in NY, but what good is that going to do you if you live in NY.

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
those subsidies have already been ruled illegal in federal court because congress did not appropriate the money for said subsidies, obama did that by executive order. trump merely reversed that executive order, which is his right to do so. if you want the subsidies back, then get a hold of your congressmen and have them vote to reinstate those subsidies, and appropriate the necessary funding for them.
The subsidies were not put in place by executive order. They were put in place with the original "legislation"
We have seen no meaningful legislation since January.

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Gladly. As soon as the Republicans stop trying to push **** through congress and actually have conversations and include Democrats in the development of any bill. Given the ACA took months of discussion between both parties, anything the Republicans try to push through in days is beyond stupid.
Re the bolded...yet Pelosi and Reid essentially flipped the bird at the voters of Massachusetts who elected Scott Brown as a roadblock. I'm agnostic, but Pelosi claims to be a Catholic, so she'll get hers on judgment day. It's too bad that we here on earth won't know if Reid will find himself part of the wicked eternally separated from the righteous.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:15 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Looks like a bunch of states are going to throw a monkey wrench into the Donald's MAGA healthcare plan! I guess it will go the way of Obama's Clean Air EOs.

U.S. states to file new suit challenging Trump healthcare subsidy cut
Lawsuits are going to be the norm from now on. No matter who’s in office, the other side will file a lawsuit to block whatever it is they don’t like.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:19 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
And I should say I am not at all opposed to this interstate insurance thing. No skin off my back at all. I'm just pointing out if anyone is expecting it to make huge waves, I think they will be disappointed.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:33 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
I agree. I also disagreed when Obama put all that in place via EO rather than get Congress to amend the ACA.
I don't disagree.

This is all more reason why our Congress needs to get off its butt and work together on a solution.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:35 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I don't disagree.

This is all more reason why our Congress needs to get off its butt and work together on a solution.
That is not going to happen. The best we can hope for is to make this watch this happen to the poor in the run up to 2018 and help Democrats take the House.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
A U.S. judge did not "catch" anything. Republicans sued, Obama appealed. Trump has stopped the appeal because he wants to take away $7 Billion in health care subsidies for poor people so he can spend $10 Billion for a wall he promised Mexico would pay for. Trump appeals everything including his Muslim ban so it's not like appeals haven't already happened in this administration. Trump just wanted to take the subsidies away from the poor so the states are suing.

Got a link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies