Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:46 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times

Advertisements

I dunno I kind of like happy holidays myself. Rolls off the tongue a little easier and nobody really uses the word "merry" in contemporary vernacular anyway

Old 10-14-2017, 08:49 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,559,995 times
The whole Merry Christmas thing has only been a made up culture war issue used by some on the right to work up their core base. It has no real effect on the every day lives of Americans. This NFL anthem thing is similar. They are just actions by politicians to manipulate and distract stupid people. Unfortunately the country has tens of millions of people that fall for this type of thing over and over again.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:50 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Do you really think that the stuff that goes on in most stores from October to January has anything to do with religion? Christmas is the most heavily secularized holiday in existence.

I love Christmas. I love everything about it EXCEPT for the way it is exploited as a marketing tool, starting the day after Halloween. If you think that the people milking Jesus's birthday for profit are worshiping anything but money, you need more help than I can offer.
I would say the whole Black Friday thing is the worst and the low point of the Holiday season. The whole weekend of Thanksgiving rubs me the wrong way actually. Thanksgiving itself, while I have no problem with the specific manner in which it is celebrated, is a BS American holiday that tries to portray the Pilgrims and Natives as buddies getting together for Turkey dinner. LOL.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:51 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
So this is a celebration of christian sharia law? Trump is not even aware that he's a christian (he apparently didn't know that he is a Presbyterian and that they are christians).

If you couldn't say what you wanted before--that was your problem.

The Palin/O'Reilly victimization of 'Merry Christmas' voicers was simply a big publicity grab. Palin could sell her books, and O'Reilly could up his ratings. They preyed on the christian majority and convinced them they were victims. Pretty good trick, huh?

If you chose to jump on the victim bandwagon--your choice.

The whole commercialized season should be called "Merry Shopping!"

Old 10-14-2017, 08:56 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Do you really think that the stuff that goes on in most stores from October to January has anything to do with religion? Christmas is the most heavily secularized holiday in existence.

I love Christmas. I love everything about it EXCEPT for the way it is exploited as a marketing tool, starting the day after Halloween. If you think that the people milking Jesus's birthday for profit are worshiping anything but money, you need more help than I can offer.
You don't get it. This is a PC cultural thing. Yes I know Christmas is largely about money. Jeez.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:05 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The whole Merry Christmas thing has only been a made up culture war issue used by some on the right to work up their core base. It has no real effect on the every day lives of Americans. This NFL anthem thing is similar. They are just actions by politicians to manipulate and distract stupid people. Unfortunately the country has tens of millions of people that fall for this type of thing over and over again.
Yep.

Whether someone says "Merry Christmas," or not or not makes no difference except to those who want to stir up trouble.

Can you imagine Jesus caring whether people celebrate His birthday or not?

From the stories I've read, Jesus was in favor of taking care of one another even if they aren't from around here. Read the story of the Good Samaritan if you doubt this.

He was in favor of sharing what you have and taking care of one another. Loaves and fishes and all.

Christians who want to celebrate the true meaning of Christ's birthday would be wise follow His teachings.
They could start by not judging others.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:06 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
NO ONE EVER SAID YOU COULDN'T SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

There, little snowflakes, did you hear it that time?

Old 10-14-2017, 09:07 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Obama is gone

Trump is saying Merry Christmas again!!

You will hear it

Say it to everyone this Christmas season

Together we MAGA!!

Trump: "We're saying 'Merry Christmas' again" - Story | FOX 13 Tampa Bay

And they say it's Atheists' Pagans, Etc that start the war on Christmas. It reminds me of the move Wag The Dog.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:07 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
There were Christmas items for sale the 1st week of October this year. In the holiday war Christmas has won, it is slowly devouring all other holidays. Pretty soon we'll be seeing Christmas displays on the 4th of July.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:09 AM

130,259 posts, read 12,099,804 times
This has nothing to do with trump, OP, I have never said anything, but Merry Christmas, it is what we were taught as a child, many years ago, & the tradition stuck with me. Politics does not stop me from talking or saying my own words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies