Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 08:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
We used to believe in a separation of church and state in this country. What happened?
Education in the confederacy has decided to teach different versions of slavery, church and state and just about everything else. "States Rights" to be ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 08:40 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
One question. How would the gov feel about teaching Mormonism?

Old 10-16-2017, 09:17 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Progressive liberals want THIS taught to their children, but won't tolerate someone with a bible.
My bible is edged in my heart - liberal ? in wanting freedom and equality - love and respect -benevolence - fairness ... let God judge

Old 10-16-2017, 09:21 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This man happened. Our entire political landscape today was shaped by this man.
Dug the ditch for all to fall into it.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:17 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Yes, many Africans were Muslim but not most of them. Around 30 percent were Muslim. The Hausa, Mandinka, Wolof and around half of the Yoruba were Muslim, for example.

But there were many other non-Muslim groups which practiced orisha religion and other religions. Kongo, Ewe, Ashanti, Igbo, Ibibio and other were largely non-Muslim.
Whatever the percentage, non-Christian slaves of any religion helped build this country. Therefore their religious texts should be taught in public schools in America as well according to thecoalman's logic.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/...le-school-call

I personally think that students should have the option of bible study in lieu of science classes.

Personally, I am glad that a governor is standing up for the bible to bring a sense of cohesion and morality to our schools.

Ky. public schools allowed to add Bible literacy classes

Glad, schools have the option of bible-based social studies courses as opposed to social studies courses that indoctrinate children with Hollywood values.
Sorry but the bold is ridiculous.

Students should NOT have the option of studying the bible instead of science....

And FWIW I'm not against studying the bible in high school, but it should be an elective and incorporated in a "religious studies" curriculum/class or "world religions" class.

I took a world religions class in high school and we study parts of the Bible, Qu'ran, and the Talmud. We also studied some holy texts of Buddhism and Hinduism as the class covered the world's major religions primarily. We also learned about some traditional religions from Africa (like Ife/Yoruba and voudoun in Haiti) and Australia.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:00 AM

577 posts, read 512,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sorry but the bold is ridiculous.

Students should NOT have the option of studying the bible instead of science....

And FWIW I'm not against studying the bible in high school, but it should be an elective and incorporated in a "religious studies" curriculum/class or "world religions" class.

I took a world religions class in high school and we study parts of the Bible, Qu'ran, and the Talmud. We also studied some holy texts of Buddhism and Hinduism as the class covered the world's major religions primarily. We also learned about some traditional religions from Africa (like Ife/Yoruba and voudoun in Haiti) and Australia.
Wait until they get a college educated atheist liberal teaching their child's bible (mythology) class. haha.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:02 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
People with religious beliefs are happier people.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,563,867 times
This lack of embracing science by the right will set this country back. Ignorance is dangerous.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Wait until they get a college educated atheist liberal teaching their child's bible (mythology) class. haha.
They can go to a Christian college....

The university I attended was founded in part with the Methodist church and there were few, if any atheist instructors. I went to an HBCU and most black people are Christians. I am an atheist so got into some heated debates with my Psychology of Religion instructor in particular.

I spoke in my comments about high school classes. Most of my high school teachers also were not atheist. I think many conservatives overestimate how many atheist there really are. In my experience, as one, I'd say that we are a rather rare bunch in America no matter political ideology. Most of the liberals I know are hippie-esque Christians (peace and love of Jesus, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies