Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel the confederate flag has a racist message?
Yes and I am a liberal 43 18.45%
Yes and I am a conservative 9 3.86%
Yes and I am an independent 53 22.75%
No and I am a liberal 13 5.58%
No and I am a conservative 50 21.46%
No and I am an independent 65 27.90%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 12:07 PM

46,757 posts, read 25,681,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Oh, don't mistake me pointing out that that the North had numerical and industrial superiority and still lost 50% more soldiers than the South...
And so today we learn that when disease is the main cause of death among soldiers, the side fielding the largest army will have the highest losses.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:08 PM

51,583 posts, read 25,500,783 times
"This law ... makes it a rich man's war and a poor man's fight."

Confederate Private Jasper Collins speaking to Newton Knight about the "Twenty-Negro Law," which exempted planters who owned 20 or more slaves from Confederate enlistment.

Confederate Deserters: The Rebels You Rarely Hear About

So the wealthy plantation owners whipped the south into levying war agains the U.S. (treason) in order to keep their slaves/wealth and then exempted themselves from the battle.

4,851 posts, read 2,263,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Perhaps there's another aspect that isn't being discussed:

Whether or not the Confederate flag implies racism, it certainly implies treason.

Meh. Our esteemed FF's were traitors to England, and my own Texas heroes were traitors to Mexico. The Confederates states wanted a split from the Union states, as many do today. They weren't attempting to help England or Mexico destroy the United States, they just wanted out of the political arrangement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
LOL Slaver States? Free States?
That's what they called themselves. If it's good enough for those Southern Gentlemen, it's good enough for you.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
The flags and statues of southern generals stand as testimony that while brother fought brother, the nation came together and healed.
Yeah, sure. Fact: The flags went up over state capitols not shortly after the war, but in the 1960s when the civil rights struggle was at its highest. A deliberate middle finger to those who got uppity and wanted to be served at the same lunch counter.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:11 PM

51,583 posts, read 25,500,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Meh. Our esteemed FF's were traitors to England, and my own Texas heroes were traitors to Mexico. The Confederates states wanted a split from the Union states, as many do today. They weren't attempting to help England or Mexico destroy the United States, they just wanted out of the political arrangement.
Couple of differences, but the big one is that they won.

Confederates lost.

History is typically written by the winners not the losers.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:14 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,458,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
<>History is typically written by the winners not the losers.
Yes, but Southerners are better writers.

So their stories are still around.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:16 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,263,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Couple of differences, but the big one is that they won.

Confederates lost.

History is typically written by the winners not the losers.

That is true. Victors write history, and the larger industrial nation subdued the smaller agrarian one. But this doesn't change the fact that there is little difference between the traitorous actions of the FF's and the desire of the Southerners to follow suit and leave the Union to form their own nation. Less traitorous by the Rebs actually. In those days ones loyalty started with ones state. The Union was a political abstract comprised of an alliance of sovereign states. Folks like Lee remained loyal to their first love, their state. Lee actually did not want the South to secede, but when his state did, he made the decision to remain loyal to his state and follow them out of the political arrangement known as the United STATES.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:18 PM

38,967 posts, read 27,335,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
Do you feel that displaying the confederate flag symbolizes racism or heritage? Why?
There are only two things the Confederate battle flag has ever been used to symbolize: 1.remembering the Confederate army as a military group 2.blatant anti-black anti-minority racism.

There are some who would argue that the first boils down to the second, in practice.

I think it depends on different individuals. Not everybody displays the flag is a racist.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:18 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,888,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I grew up in the heart of Dixie and I can tell you exactly what that flag stood for. It ain't pretty.

I was in elementary school in the late 60's when they were integrating the Alabama schools. The Confederate flag was used early and often to discourage black students.
No, it isn't pretty. When I went to visit my cousins in Huntsville, Alabama they always had the Stars and Bars tacked up across one of the walls of their shared room. I was stunned at their casual racism which they seemed to think everyone else shared. I will also never forget my surprise when I walked with my Grandma down the main street of a little town in Kentucky, and the African Americans we encountered going the other way would step off the sidewalk and go around us by walking in the gutter? I feel that some members of my family are very racist while others are very progressive and open. Then there's the Dog Patch crowd, and they're just real confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies