Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel the confederate flag has a racist message?
Yes and I am a liberal 43 18.45%
Yes and I am a conservative 9 3.86%
Yes and I am an independent 53 22.75%
No and I am a liberal 13 5.58%
No and I am a conservative 50 21.46%
No and I am an independent 65 27.90%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 12:16 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Which I consider exceedingly generous considering the havoc they wrecked on the nation with their traitorous actions.
well, As with any war, there are a multitude of motivations for those that fight: cause, defense of the home, peer pressure, family ties, economics, compulsion, etc.

So, for many soldiers - on both sides - their motivation was not about country or ideal but about home.

What else do you want or need? The country shall move forward, no?

Old 10-15-2017, 12:17 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
You do know that Confederate States of America is not the same as United States of America, right?

It's why CSA soldiers were required to take a loyalty oath to the USA.

Why the USA provided pensions and benefits for CSA soldiers is somewhat of a mystery.

I suspect it was a way to be kind to some old codgers who got caught up in something they hadn't thought through.

But in no way where they American soldiers. If they had been, they would have been in the Union army.

They were CSA soldiers. Let the CSA provide them with pensions and benefits. That's who they fought for.
The CSA, and their soldiers were Americans after the war as the Feds knew they needed them to be loyal Americans and gave the soldiers pensions. The Carpetbaggers are another story.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:19 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,292 times
Quote:
We've had a 150+ years of "building bridges" with myths and lies.

Time to tell the truth.
posts like this show the lefts intent on keeping racism and division alive, so dumb to keep fighting a war thats been over for decades.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:21 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times
Quote:
Colonist waged war against England and formed a nation under a Constitution.

It did indeed have a head of state.

Did your history teachers ever mention Washington by any chance? Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, ... any of these Presidents, i.e. heads of state?

There were 15 heads of state before we got to Abraham Lincoln.

https://www.presidentsusa.net/presvplist.html

Odd that no one ever mentioned this.

Certainly they did. Your teachers,on the other hand, were apparently either very lacking in their knowledge of American history and what they taught , or perhaps you slept that day. Let me clue you in on real history.

The Revolutionary War ended with the Treaty of Paris in 1783. George Washington became POTUS in 1789. Now, perhaps your math skills are as poor as your history skills, and you don't realize that this is a 6 year gap between the end of the war and our first head of state, GW. But trust me, it is. 89-83= 6 . So who was head of state before GW? Answer, no one. We were governed by a Congress that was headed by person called the President of the Continental Congress, but he was not a head of state, but a head of a legislative body. The Speaker of the House is our modern day equivalent.

Which gets us back to my point. The original states saw themselves as a loose confederation of sovereign states allied with other sovereign states, and felt no need of a head of state. They simply didn't view the US the way modern people, especially those ignorant of history, do. They were states first, partners in a political union second. In fact, the first political structure attempted by the new country specifically defined the US as "league of friendship" in which every member state would retain their "sovereignty, freedom, and independence". The quotes are actual phrases from the Articles of Confederation.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:24 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
posts like this show the lefts intent on keeping racism and division alive, so dumb to keep fighting a war thats been over for decades.
Decades? The war's been over for over a century and a half.

Time to put the Confederate flags away, get rid of the Jim Crow monuments, quit glorifying racist traitors, tell the police to quit shooting black people in the back and get on with things.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:27 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Certainly they did. Your teachers, apparently, were either very lacking in their knowledge of American history and what they taught , or perhaps you slept that day. Let me clue you in on real history.

The Revolutionary War ended with the Treaty of Paris in 1783. George Washington became POTUS in 1789. Now, perhaps your math skills are as poor as your history skills, and you don't realize that this is a 6 year gap between the end of the war and our first head of state, GW. But trust me, it is. 89-83= 6 . So who was head of state before GW? Answer, no one. We were governed by a Congress that was headed by person called the President of the Continental Congress, but he was not a head of state, but a head of a legislative body. The Speaker of the House is our modern day equivalent.

Which gets us back to my point. The original states saw themselves as a loose confederation of sovereign states allied with other sovereign states, and felt no need of a head of state. They simply didn't view the US the way modern people, especially those ignorant of history, do. They were states first, partners in a political union second.
There were 15 presidents by the time Lincoln came around. So that head of state question had been long since settled.

To maintain that states were sovereign states by the time of the Civil War is nonsense.

If they were, they would have simply filed the paperwork and gone on their merry way.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:27 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Loaded terminology aside, the Confederate era is an integral part of the history of the southern states, and the flag acknowledges that. The Confederate flag is no more a symbol of contemporary racism than the Marxist red banner is a symbol of Stalinist genocide, or the Hawaii flag a salute to British colonialism.
And yet, someone flying the Marxist red banner in Russia would be arrested. So would a person displaying a Nazi flag in Germany.

More than most other nartions, the US is particularly flag-crazy, and nobody in the US displays a flag without fully intending to display a political message. Everyone noted, for instance, when Mexican immigrants waved Mexican flags--although they claimed to only be acknowledging "an integral part of the history of the southwestern states."

So when a person displays a confederate flag, what exactly is the message that person intends to convey? Should I be offended by that message or not?

Old 10-15-2017, 12:28 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
Do you feel that displaying the confederate flag symbolizes racism or heritage? Why?

It our History and displays the Independent American Spirit!

Old 10-15-2017, 12:29 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,292 times
Quote:
Decades? The war's been over for over a century and a half.

Time to put the Confederate flags away, get rid of the Jim Crow monuments, quit glorifying racist traitors, tell the police to quit shooting black people in the back and get on with things.

a century and a half is 15 decades no? decades with s is plural, which means more than 1. 15 is more than 1. please try to tell me where my statement is inaccurate.

move on then, many of us having been waiting on pokeys to catch up for years-leave racism where it belongs, in the past, instead of trying to keep it alive.

Last edited by tripleh; 10-15-2017 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:29 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

So when a person displays a confederate flag, what exactly is the message that person intends to convey? Should I be offended by that message or not?
I have friends who flew confederate flags in ME. They wanted to show their southern fighter spirit.

Do they fly confederate flag here in the United States? No. They know better.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies