Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 02:50 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Don’t go to South Carolina.

Problem solved.
Yeah that's not the way intelligent people solve problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 04:10 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
For all the outrage on this thread-you do realize that many, if not most, states do not provide public defenders for misdemeanor charges, unless the penalty is a significant (typically greater than one year) prison term?

Old 10-15-2017, 04:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
An interesting problem is that people on this board make a 100 page thread when it involves reasons black people should be in jail, but when faced with realities like this, which causes all people to be sent to jail unconstitutionally, they are silent. 1 page since 12 hours ago. Makes me realize people don’t care about crime or law, just that they get to argue why people unlike them should be locked out of sight.
actually these days the opposite happens, often times when things like this happens to black poeple, the outrage comes down that it shouldnt be happening, that its racist, ro what ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Yeah it's really pathetic. I'm from South Carolina, I've been in front of one of those kangaroo courts where the prosecutor is the cop, and the judge has a high school education, and if you know the right person your traffic ticket disappears.

I don't know what the solution is; 200 years of poor education can't be fixed overnight. The enforcement needs to come from the state level, and the state is so dysfunctional that it can't even do the most basic things. "Low Taxes" are a deeply-rooted ideology, and SC doesn't tax anyone enough to pay for things like this, and the continual failures of underfunded/mismanaged government just make people want to pay taxes even less.

For instance, read about the V.C. Summer Nuclear plant fiasco. Or the phrase "minimally adequate education." Or the traffic gridlock in Charleston. Or the constant ethics violations.

South Carolina' legislative incompetence is really staggering and I don't know that it can be fixed. How do you get more intelligent people to run for office?
le roi, i think this can be fixed, but it means that laws are going to have to change about who prosecutes cases, and the requirements for being a judge are either set, or upheld. some judges dont have to have law degrees to be a judge. for instance here in pima county a justice of the peace only has to be 18 to run for that office. however the justice of the peace here is limited in their responsibilities as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Oh so it's ok to disobey one law? So why not more. Where does it stop?
there are good reasons to disobey certain laws, if they are unconstitutional for instance, so they can be challenged in court and go through the process of getting rod of said laws through the courts system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What part of "You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you" do these scum not understand?

There should be no debate on this. It's a right, and those who are going against the rights of the people need to be removed, and frankly, imprisoned.
true enough, but realize that these are minor offenses to begin with, but i dont think that should be reason to pile on these defendants though. at some point i think that with enough negative publicity, the feds may go in and straighten out the situation here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751
You can't let some states get away without following the law and not expect others to do the same thing. uh hum ... Sanctuary cities comes to mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
You're not going to believe this but I actually agree with you here.
i also agree. but i see on problem here, south carolina might be "getting away with it" because they are offering up a lawyer, and a trial by jury, but they are turning around and hitting these people with bail amounts, even small ones, that they cant afford, and that means they are going to sit in jail for longer than the sentence would be for the crime involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
For all the outrage on this thread-you do realize that many, if not most, states do not provide public defenders for misdemeanor charges, unless the penalty is a significant (typically greater than one year) prison term?
actually they do make the offer, but they also remind the defendant that unless they can make bail, they will remain in jail until the trial date is set and comes around, as is the case here.

i think this can be solved if each township went to an arraignment court type of system for minor cases, where you have attorneys for the state and the defense and the state can dispense with cases like these legally and efficiently.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:42 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Huh? Not in Idaho, that's for sure. Looking...

Dang..you are right..it's an issue. It's also illegal as all heck.

https://www.propublica.org/article/m...ociation-finds

https://www.americanbar.org/content/...thcheckdam.pdf

And for those who think it's just a Southern Problem:

Justice Denied - For Misdemeanor Cases, Trials Are Elusive - NYTimes.com

Most States provide lawyers at all steps of any criminal proceedings..as a matter of course.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:00 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Huh? Not in Idaho, that's for sure. Looking...

Dang..you are right..it's an issue. It's also illegal as all heck.

https://www.propublica.org/article/m...ociation-finds

https://www.americanbar.org/content/...thcheckdam.pdf

And for those who think it's just a Southern Problem:

Justice Denied - For Misdemeanor Cases, Trials Are Elusive - NYTimes.com

Most States provide lawyers at all steps of any criminal proceedings..as a matter of course.

Only the ignorant less educated think that it is only a southern problem. Most know better.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:52 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
It sounds like if you have half a brain and a little bit of drive and ambition you can get ahead pretty fast. I should move down there and run for office. I could turn that joint around. I just need to figure out how to get around the carpet bagger issue.
yeah, too bad it doesn't work like that

you might be able to get into office somewhere on the coast, but unless you're all about low taxes and football and farm subsidies and Jesus and momma then you won't get elected anywhere in SC.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Both Bush and Obama argued they could imprison people and dispense with their due process rights.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:22 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Imagine how backwards the south would be if they actually won the civil war and seceded.
Just as backwards as the north.

Are you forgetting that slavery was also practiced in the north?

Actually, now that I think about it, this is probably something you didn't know.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:29 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You can't let some states get away without following the law and not expect others to do the same thing. uh hum ... Sanctuary cities comes to mind.
Sanctuary cities aren't illegal. It's not even a legal term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies