Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 01:49 PM

13,631 posts, read 20,724,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Incorrect. Segregation can be forced or voluntary. Example: Whites not wanting to live in Black neighborhoods results in racial segregation. That's voluntary.
Well you just described the whole world. It's called human nature.

But from what I read about places like DC and New York, plenty of white people want to live in black neighborhoods.

Oddly enough, the black folks do not seem to like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 02:17 PM

88,801 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well you just described the whole world. It's called human nature.
Oh, I don't disagree. The problem is that liberals/lefties are blatant hypocrites, calling the right-wing "White supremacists," etc., when they themselves do the exact same thing, but to an even greater degree.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:24 PM

29,198 posts, read 22,269,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Portland, and many Cities west of the Cascades including some coastal areas are mostly liberal or vote Democrat, otherwise Oregon wouldn't have been a Blue State.
Yup. In the mountain and coastal west, one big metro can equal the rest of the state in population. There are more people who live in Las Vegas, for example, than live in the rest of Nevada.

It's easy to believe that a city like Portland is liberal because it's currently attractive to younger people, or that Salt Lake City is conservative because Mormons are conservative, but the truth is different from the first impressions.

The conservatism is different in the west. It's as often quite libertarian in nature, and libertarians can just as easily be liberals as conservatives.

While few folks who aren't familiar with Salt Lake City would think it's a liberal city, the fact is it's about as liberal as Portland, but neither is really liberal at all compared to Boston, and both are full of conservatives. moderates, and every other political stripe that exists.

The big towns out here are the tails that wag the dog. 100 radicals who march, protest, and make a big display of things liberal or conservative, aren't really very many people. But they get an inordinate amount of over-attention whenever they decide to display themselves.

If the only thing others know about a town is what they see on TV, I guess it's natural to think the town is like what they see. But most often, it's not.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:54 PM

13,631 posts, read 20,724,854 times
Quote:
Oh, I don't disagree. The problem is that liberals/lefties are blatant hypocrites, calling the right-wing "White supremacists," etc., when they themselves do the exact same thing, but to an even greater degree.
Well I agree with that. I just think Oregon is not the best example to throw out there considering the stats.

Now, if you describe how Portlanders beat the drum of diversity while living in one of the whitest places on the planet, then you have a good example of blatant hypocrisy.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:57 PM

88,801 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well I agree with that. I just think Oregon is not the best example to throw out there considering the stats.
Stats are meaningless. Look at the level and degree of segregation. And read the article I posted on the blatantly overt racism that still exists in Portland to this day.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:02 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,890,026 times
Quote:
Not really. That's how the electoral college works. And that's how elections work for Governor and the State Legislature. Large metro areas dictate the political will of the entire state.
I know - I'm aware of how these things work. I was talking more generally, it is silly to assume something about the entire state based on a single area. RE: CA, people assume it will be Hollywood when they arrive here...and are often shocked to discover that the state is enormous and incredibly diverse (geographically, culturally, and even politically). The metros might define the state politically, but it doesn't mean that the state doesn't have other diversity of opinion in it.

You can see this ignorance when people see wildfires burning in the remote/rural areas, and assume "libs" live there (when often these are the most conservative areas of the state!).

Old 10-16-2017, 04:08 PM

716 posts, read 392,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Oregon is conservative..with very liberal enclaves.. the Eugene area...along the coast and parts of Portland. Oregon gets the blue tag because population wise..a bare majority break Democratic, nationally.

Also, Oregon breaks left on some cultural issues like the min. wage and marijuana.

I always liked Oregon's solution to lobs...full service gas stations, by law. This creates thousands of min. wage jobs. I think this a remarkably pragmatic solution.

I think Oregon's independent reputation is construed as liberal..but Oregon is mostly rural, agricultural and conservative in values..if not in political choice.
Oregon is liberal and the states voting record going back decades reflects this.

The vast majority of Oregon's citizens live along the I5 corridor, it's these voters who determine and reflect the states values, not a handful of ranchers and farmers regardless of many acres of empty land they own. So calling it 'mostly conservative in values' is just not correct. It's more accurately described as liberal with sparsely populated outlying conservative counties.

But you're sure right about the states gas station law! Conservatives hate it, but I agree, it's a remarkably pragmatic solution that's just another reminder of how liberal it is...

Old 10-16-2017, 06:40 PM

29,469 posts, read 16,449,350 times
Quote:
Of course not, because it totally destroys your ridiculous premise.
How exactly does it destroy my premise when im responding to your flawed definition of "segregation" ?

That number increasing has nothing to do with the definition of the word.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:43 PM

29,469 posts, read 16,449,350 times
Quote:
No, it isn't irrelevant if Blacks are clustered in certain neighborhoods and schools. That's racial segregation, regardless of the state population's overall racial demographics.
The flaw in your argument is saying that a small town isnt segregated simply because its to small to have neighborhood schools.

As I said in my earlier post, all the black people live on one side of town, but because of the way the census defines a neighborhood as being 2,500 to 8,000, it may define my entire town of 8,000 people as one single neighborhood and consider it integrated even though there is a train track(literally) and highway dividing the communities.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:19 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,540,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
They kill babies and sick people too easily. Druggies flock there. They self-identify as liberal. Gallup called them the 6th (tied with Hawaii) most liberal state.
Hawaii is definitely more liberal than Oregon. I'd consider them to be the 2nd most liberal state next to Washington, only because they've had a Republican governor more recently than WA. I'd consider California the 3rd most liberal, also because they've had a Republican governor more recently than WA.

Let's face it the West Coast is the most liberal part of the US except for Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies