Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 03:49 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,607,154 times

Advertisements

Over all of Europe, the number of insects that splatter on windshields has declined by 75% over the past three decades, according to a recent study. It's happening worldwide, in part because of the heavy use of insecticides on farms and by private individuals at home.

Here in Oregon, the small Drosophila fruit flies that were once numerous, have disappeared from my house. I haven't seen a single one, for three years. Decades ago, several types of grasshoppers were found by the millions, all over the countryside and also in cities. This past summer, I saw only a single one. When I was a boy, during the warm months, it was necessary for drivers to place fine-mesh screens in front of their radiators, to keep them from being clogged by flying insects and to clean them frequently. This no longer is required.

Flying insects, in their role as pollenizers and as food to support many species in the food chain, are essential to life on earth. We should be concerned and demand that politicians enact measures to severely restrict the use of insecticides. If it were argued that this would reduce crop yields, that would be a minor issue, compared to having crops go unpollenized in the future.

‘The windscreen phenomenon’ - why your car is no longer covered in dead insects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 03:52 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,076,638 times
The fear of West Nile virus is greater than the loss of many insects so the aerial spraying of insecticide will continue.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:54 PM

13,698 posts, read 9,032,426 times
My wife and I spoke of this recently while driving to Houston.

As a child in the late 1950s and into the 60s, when we went on a 'road trip', after half a day my father would pull into a gas station to get the bug stuff off the windshield. Gas stations were, of course, full service back in those days.

If driving in Kansas (where we had family), we sometimes had to pull over so my father could clean the windshield. I quickly learned, as a youth, that when you have a bunch of grasshoppers smashing against the windshield, using the windshield wipers DOES NOT help.

My wife and I discussed it after we had one or two bugs hit our windshield, during our five hour drive, which, oddly, brought up memories of so long ago.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:39 PM

526 posts, read 387,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Over all of Europe, the number of insects that splatter on windshields has declined by 75% over the past three decades, according to a recent study. It's happening worldwide, in part because of the heavy use of insecticides on farms and by private individuals at home.

Here in Oregon, the small Drosophila fruit flies that were once numerous, have disappeared from my house. I haven't seen a single one, for three years. Decades ago, several types of grasshoppers were found by the millions, all over the countryside and also in cities. This past summer, I saw only a single one. When I was a boy, during the warm months, it was necessary for drivers to place fine-mesh screens in front of their radiators, to keep them from being clogged by flying insects and to clean them frequently. This no longer is required.

Flying insects, in their role as pollenizers and as food to support many species in the food chain, are essential to life on earth. We should be concerned and demand that politicians enact measures to severely restrict the use of insecticides. If it were argued that this would reduce crop yields, that would be a minor issue, compared to having crops go unpollenized in the future.

Way too many starving people in Africa to stop the pesticides. You want to kill potentially billions of Africans so you can see a grasshopper or have more fruit flies on your windshield?

Old 10-19-2017, 04:42 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,253,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post

Good, tired of cleaning bug guts off of my windshield.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:42 PM

57,418 posts, read 26,319,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
The fear of West Nile virus is greater than the loss of many insects so the aerial spraying of insecticide will continue.
Destruction of the food chain is a serious problem, bees, frogs, salamanders are all disappearing. Insects are a fact of life, always found it strange that people move to Florida and places in New England and then complain about insects. I remember driving to Florida during the 70's during the Love Bug mating season and they were everywhere.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:45 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,193,171 times
Interesting. Can't say the same here in the Caribbean after 2 hurricanes. Flying insects are everywhere. Raid sells out in stores in hours.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:04 PM

24,030 posts, read 15,136,960 times
I haven't seen a lightening bug in 30 years.

The bees are also vanishing around my house.

Nothing has stopped the mosquitos and roaches. Even when they were spraying heavy duty stuff from giant air force planes after the storm/

Old 10-19-2017, 05:18 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,607,154 times
Here's a link to another article about the vanishing insect phenomenon:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/.../oh-no/543390/

Apparently, some posters here don't think they will be affected if insects disappear and are glad to be rid of them. Funny how this type of aberrant thinking, seems to have an almost absolute correlation to conservatism and alt-rightism. Maybe it's the common practice they all share, of rejecting science and facts from their considerations.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:19 PM

3,864 posts, read 1,802,959 times
We can blame Monsanto, DuPont. Bayer and Syngenta...... and the like for this decline of species. It all is related by the way. Lose the insects and we will also lose the bees and pollinators. I don't see or hear as many birds as I used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies