Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 12:51 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times

Advertisements

Politicizing natural disasters is repulsive. Is this what we have stooped to as a people? America is a sick country right now. People seem to really want to hate the "other", even though the other is also American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 01:47 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Such a spiteful, mean spirited OP. In truth, most of the people who lost their homes were not "liberal elites." Most homes were middle class. Lots of rental units lost, too. Many working class folks. Also many businesses, churches, hotels, schools, you name it. And believe me, Californians have been the first to take care of this themselves. The outpouring of help and giving has been unbelievable - there have been too many volunteers to be used; people wanting to help often had to be turned away. There are lots of people being shelter in the homes of strangers.

As a Californian, I don't recall anyone ever saying that Houston, Florida or Puerto Rico deserved the disaster they received. (I have read a few kooks saying California deserved it, however.) My small California church sent almost $3,000 to Houston for disaster relief, and we just have 75 members. I have, on the other hand, spoken with many people who were just sick with sadness over the hurricanes and flooding. It has been several months of SO many natural disasters, and we all are weary and hurting.

It is true that a lot of people in California have had their houses burned because they lived in the urban-forest interface, which is a dangerous place to live. But the fires last week burned right through blocks and blocks of strictly urban areas, not wilderness, not forest. It is still being investigated, but very high winds (up to 60 mph) with the end of a dry summer is a lot of the reason this happened.

I think the OP is highly critical of California because conservatives just hate CA, even though there are a lot of conservatives here. They seem to fantasize that everyone in CA is an elite. I guess that plays into their narrative about why its OK to hate a whole state, but it isn't anywhere near true. They just have to hate someone. If there is anything conservatives do well, it is hating.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:56 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post

But I don't think that suggestions about people not rebuilding below flood level, were mean-spirited. It's just common sense. And those in California will surely work hard to better clean up dry fuel in the forests and grasslands, wherever that's possible. With the sweeping changes in worldwide climate, there will be new challenges and standards everyone will have to meet, to survive.
California does a lot of wildfire mitigation. My son spent every summer when he was in college clearing grass and brush from around homes to make a buffer against fires. I don't know, but I imagine that this was also true in the areas that burned, as it is so common in CA. But nothing stops a fire whipped by 60 mph winds. It becomes basically a blow torch, and will simply jump across buffer zones. I can't tell you how many "fire safe" meetings my town has had. You are right that there are some places we just shouldn't build. But I think that the same people who talk about how they don't want to take responsibility for those who foolishly live in those areas are the same people who don't want restrictions on developers who build in fire or flood prone areas.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:29 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I recall how so many liberals and Democrats mocked us and Texas during Hurricane Harvey saying why we would live on the Gulf coast, etc and that Houston shoudln't be rebuilt, and that New Orleans shouldn't have been rebuilt after Katrina (even though New Orleans and Houston are actually Blue cities located in Red states. NOLA in fact is a very liberal island). The liberal elites also have said the same about the Midwest after tornadoes.
There was not a single liberal who wrote a comment resembling that.

At best, your comment is referencing Liberals who were themselves pointing out the hypocrisy of Ted Cruz who said states shouldnt request federal disaster dollars or the one where again, hypocrisy was being discussed from a conservative perspective of living in flood prone areas .

I have no idea why you would post something so blatantly false.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:42 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
That's a little harsh ...... we know they don't protect all Liberal women - particularly those who are abused by big time Democratic Donors and Mega Fund raisers.
Yep.

The truth hurts.

Repped.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:23 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Such a spiteful, mean spirited OP. In truth, most of the people who lost their homes were not "liberal elites." Most homes were middle class. Lots of rental units lost, too. Many working class folks. Also many businesses, churches, hotels, schools, you name it. And believe me, Californians have been the first to take care of this themselves. The outpouring of help and giving has been unbelievable - there have been too many volunteers to be used; people wanting to help often had to be turned away. There are lots of people being shelter in the homes of strangers.

As a Californian, I don't recall anyone ever saying that Houston, Florida or Puerto Rico deserved the disaster they received. (I have read a few kooks saying California deserved it, however.) My small California church sent almost $3,000 to Houston for disaster relief, and we just have 75 members. I have, on the other hand, spoken with many people who were just sick with sadness over the hurricanes and flooding. It has been several months of SO many natural disasters, and we all are weary and hurting.

It is true that a lot of people in California have had their houses burned because they lived in the urban-forest interface, which is a dangerous place to live. But the fires last week burned right through blocks and blocks of strictly urban areas, not wilderness, not forest. It is still being investigated, but very high winds (up to 60 mph) with the end of a dry summer is a lot of the reason this happened.

I think the OP is highly critical of California because conservatives just hate CA, even though there are a lot of conservatives here. They seem to fantasize that everyone in CA is an elite. I guess that plays into their narrative about why its OK to hate a whole state, but it isn't anywhere near true. They just have to hate someone. If there is anything conservatives do well, it is hating.
You may have lived out of state for a while before moving back, but your post above shows how clueless you are re how some people feel about the fiscal effect, and nanny state effect that progressives have had on California, and why that pi**es those people off. And I say that as a 5th generation Bay Area native who will be buried there, whose roots in the Bay Area go back to before 1848, can easily afford to live there, but who will never move back (unless many things change that will only change with a systemic implosion that probably won't happen within my lifetime) because I want as few of my dollars as possible to go to wastrel taxing entities whose policies and agendas I vehemently disagree with. In general, I find people I encounter who are more conservative to be a lot happier than the people I encounter who are progressives, even though I think it is a lot easier for progressives to be happier re fewer qualms about other people's money being spent.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:05 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
Quote:
As a Louisiana resident I recall how so many liberals and Democrats mocked us and Texas during Hurricane Harvey saying why we would live on the Gulf coast, etc and that Houston shoudln't be rebuilt, and that New Orleans shouldn't have been rebuilt after Katrina (even though New Orleans and Houston are actually Blue cities located in Red states. NOLA in fact is a very liberal island). The liberal elites also have said the same about the Midwest after tornadoes.

So what about the liberals and why do they live in California where there are wildfires almost every year, and expect the rest of us to bail them out? And their recreational marijuana crops too? Or do they believe that even though there have always been wildfires in California, the ones now are due to global warming? No doubt FEMA will give the liberal elites all the money they need while they did almost nothing to help Louisiana after last year's floods and are acting very incompetnetly now in Texas.
You remember "liberals" saying this? References???

Old 10-18-2017, 06:15 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Just wait for San Francisco to be hit with the really big one. Who would build in an active earthquake zone anyway?

Old 10-18-2017, 06:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I bare the CA liberals (or conservative) no ill will, and do hope the fires go out, and there is no more loss of life, and property. However, I do think that liberals tend to be angrier, and more hypocritical.
Of course you do. You are always going to see 'them', the other team in a more negative way.

I don't identify liberal or conservative and I find that both sides have their hypocrites, mean, anygr, spiteful, nasty people.

It's not one more than the other -- it really isn't.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:24 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
As a Louisiana resident I recall how so many liberals and Democrats mocked us and Texas during Hurricane Harvey saying why we would live on the Gulf coast, etc and that Houston shoudln't be rebuilt, and that New Orleans shouldn't have been rebuilt after Katrina (even though New Orleans and Houston are actually Blue cities located in Red states. NOLA in fact is a very liberal island). The liberal elites also have said the same about the Midwest after tornadoes.

So what about the liberals and why do they live in California where there are wildfires almost every year, and expect the rest of us to bail them out? And their recreational marijuana crops too? Or do they believe that even though there have always been wildfires in California, the ones now are due to global warming? No doubt FEMA will give the liberal elites all the money they need while they did almost nothing to help Louisiana after last year's floods and are acting very incompetnetly now in Texas.
Libs/dems, "Do as I SAY, NOT as I DO!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies