Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:48 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I will come out and say. This is about hatred towards California. Notice how California is spelled with a "K" in this case. Personally, I am not for sanctuary cities. However, I still want the wildfires to stop, and California should be able to get help putting the fires out. California is part of this country, and should be helped.
Then tell California to start acting like part of the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 03:49 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
As much as I hate the concept of sanctuary cities, withholding assistance for things like the fires is horrible way of thinking. At the end of the day, we are all part of this country, and despite differences in opinion over many matters, we always need to come to each other's aid when needed.
Thank you for being reasonable.

Withholding assistance for political reasons is despicable. At the very least, those who wish to do so should keep in mind that they will also be harming people who may not agree with the prevailing attitudes and policies being punished.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Looks like a freaking desert to me with water stolen from somewhere else.

No federal dollars for sanctuary states.

I barely consider Californians Americans anymore. I would care much more about a disaster in Canada or Norway.
You do realize that California is a very big and ecologically diverse state, right?

Oh, wait...nevermind.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the issues you point out are not as important as dealing with wildfires. immigration is ultimately a federal issue anyway.

the 55mph speed limit and the 21 drinking age, were not really life or death situations, and the feds only threatened to cut off highway funds. back then there were no idiots that would decide to sue the feds to prevent them from doing things like that.

but this situation is no different that the other natural disasters that have hit this country. people need help, and lots of it. lets not let politics get in the way of getting them that help.

i have been close to the front lines of large forest fires in the past. of the 9 seasons i worked in shenandoah national park, four of them had fires at the end of the season, and those of us working for the lodging companies there took care of the firefighters that came in to put out the fires. the worst was the one that threatened skyland lodge at the end of the season.

and the firefighters came from all over the country, including california. everyone pitched in to get these fires out, california deserves no less than a similar effort. heck we have firefighters from right here in tucson going to help.

so to everyone that wants to let cali suffer, lets leave the politics OUT of this issue, and get those fires put out. california is going to have a huge bill to pay everyone when this is all said and done for supporting their firefighters, just like cali did when other states have had wildfires.
I'm going for the middle ground here of sending all the help that is needed to put the fires out. That's not my argument. My argument is on the bill that will be coming later.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Sounds like we no longer need to vote for disaster aid to red states. Done and done.
I wish you would consider the fact that there are people living in red states who disagree passionately with the politics of those states, and who loathe Trump as much as you do. Would you punish us, too?

Old 10-16-2017, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Matter of opinion. It’s a hell of a lot drier than where I live.

Wildfires there are as common as mosquitoes here in that area but they build McMansions everywhere.

Makes sense in California I guess. I would feel worse for North Korea.
Then move there!

Old 10-16-2017, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
On behalf of the idiots in California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico, I'd like to thank you for your helpful and intelligent reply. It's been one hell of a fire season all over the American West as well as BC up in Canada. Your ignorance of how things work out here combined with your perky air of condescending superiority should win you all sorts of new friends in places like Montana and even Wyoming. I really don't know why we're all still out here when we could just vote republican, throw up our hands and abandon all our agricultural pursuits as well as evacuate urban centers like Denver and Salt Lake and Spokane and Albuquerque. Gee! That was easy. Keep it up and even the folks in Utah are going to start voting Progressive out of sheer self defense.

BTW, why should cities have to use local tax revenues for federal programs that are wildly unpopular with the voters who live there? If you and the Feds are so excited about enforcing these laws then shell out some federal money to cover their cost and send in the mafia from the East Coast to be enforcers. Your bill to cover the cost of ICE's activities in San Francisco will be in the mail tomorrow. Don't forget that a timely manner of payment is required.

Love,
The American West
Don't forget Alaska. Wildfires in the interior are an annual event.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:02 AM

479 posts, read 431,743 times
Default Sometimes...

yeah, sometimes... I hate people.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastie View Post
yeah, sometimes... I hate people.
We can tell that by looking at your screen name. The left hates anyone who stands in the way of their vision of America.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:42 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If California can afford to spend billions of dollars on criminal aliens...can't they afford to take care of their own citizens? You would think...they would care more about Americans than foreign criminals...but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case.

If America can continue to throw $$$ away on a 16 year old war in Afghanistan of no benefit to the US, to throw more $$$ away on lame attempts at building other nations while being robbed blind by their corrupt governments, to throw even more $$$ at many nations around the world, it can damn sure aid Americans whose lives are turned upside down by natural disasters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies