Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 02:15 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
we need to step up the penalties for drug abuse.
What are the penalties now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 06:56 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I believe to address the issues of children being born in the pain of addiction withdrawal we need to step up the penalties for drug abuse.
I propose that after a drug abuser has exhausted several attempts to stay clean that they be sterilized. This law would be federally mandated to apply to all states and to included both males and females of all ages.
Right. STEP UP the War on Drugs.

It has had 40 years to work, but yet the problems are worse than ever.

So, if you are going to step it up, why take some intermediate step (forced sterilization) that won't help? Why not adopt a Philippines-style strategy and execute drug users on the street?

I am not trying to flippant. I really want an answer to that question, because this whole stepping up the War on Drugs thing as a solution is pure insanity to me. Maybe if some one could explain why forced sterilization is an acceptable strategy but execution isn't, then maybe I could understand how someone's mind works who thinks stepping up a failed war is a good idea.

Prohibition does not work. It has been proven to only make the problems worse. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:19 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
http://www.azdhs.gov/documents/preve...oid-report.pdf

A perfect use for tent city would be long prison sentences in hot Arizona summer sunshine for women who have babies on opiods, so the children are born with terrible withdrawl systems.

I was just looking at the numbers and here in Arizona it seems like there is a huge issue with women being on unhealthy and illegal opiods when pregnant.

I have never understood why they don't have laws on the books to make a 2nd degree felony when women take opiods and other illicit substances when pregnant.

To me personally life begins at conception and the only way to ensure drug-free children is for legislatures to enact laws that imprison these women with a 2nd degree felony.

I know this is a national epidemic with women giving birth to their children while on heroin and other opiods.

I never have understand why they don't have laws on the books that imprison them with a class two felony.

Sadly, rather then having tough minimum sentences of multiple years in jail, it seems like the liberals want these women to have treatment.
Are you a woman?

Old 10-16-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Abortion should not an option just because these women want to continue with using heroin and opiods.

The liberal 21st century is weakening America. Glad, that America's President is actually going to summits full of conservative, religious leaders.

I think it is odd that states are so light on this. They would be doing these future children a great service by arresting the substance abusing future-mothers and charging them with a felony.

Rather then very expensive treatment, I think this crisis would decrease if these women knew that they would be charged with 2nd degree felonies for being pregnant or having a baby on illegal drugs or any drug that could impact their child's health.
You really think a woman “wants†to be an addict?
Are you a woman....and more importantly have you ever been pregnant?
Don’t go there unless you have walked in her shoes.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
If they are addicted to these illicit substances, then there is no reason to get pregnant. Sadly, liberals think there just needs to be understanding of people like that! Absurd, it takes a terrible person to have a baby with withdrawl systems or neonatal abstinence syndrome.

These women who get pregnant with substance abuse issues have an addiction to having babies with withdrawl symptoms.

Sorry, but a person who could put their innocent baby through neonatal abstinence syndrome should be in prison after the baby is delivered.

They can easily help not having a baby with neonatal abstinence syndrome by not taking opiods during pregnancy. They can just say "No" like Nancy Reagan said.
Just say no? That will fix our problems?

Old 10-16-2017, 08:32 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Uh...because tbey are addicted to those substances?

It is tragic. But isn't it also sad that someone like you, who does not have addiction issues, still walks with the burden of a cold, compassionless heart, without love for her fellow humans? Is that also a choice, or something you cannot help? I don't know the answer, but perhaps with some soul-searching, you might find out.
Judging from lovecrowd's posts, I am wondering if he/she goes to Steven Anderson's church in Tempe.

I agree with the posters that said that sending women to prison who have addicted babies would encourage abortions. Of course, conservatives will say "that wouldn't be an issue if abortion were illegal." However, it would encourage back-alley, coat hanger abortions.

Religious conservatives are always so quick to want to pass laws to punish people they don't like but they never consider the unintended consequences.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:32 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
http://www.azdhs.gov/documents/preve...oid-report.pdf

A perfect use for tent city would be long prison sentences in hot Arizona summer sunshine for women who have babies on opiods, so the children are born with terrible withdrawl systems.

I was just looking at the numbers and here in Arizona it seems like there is a huge issue with women being on unhealthy and illegal opiods when pregnant.

I have never understood why they don't have laws on the books to make a 2nd degree felony when women take opiods and other illicit substances when pregnant.

To me personally life begins at conception and the only way to ensure drug-free children is for legislatures to enact laws that imprison these women with a 2nd degree felony.

I know this is a national epidemic with women giving birth to their children while on heroin and other opiods.

I never have understand why they don't have laws on the books that imprison them with a class two felony.

Sadly, rather then having tough minimum sentences of multiple years in jail, it seems like the liberals want these women to have treatment.
Your solution seems really bizarre to me - and you have no clue about addiction. Not many women would poison their fetus' on purpose . The brains drive for drugs once addiction takes hold is a freight train that very few people if any can stop on their own.

What ever money you want to allocate to putting pregnant women in jail who are addicts would be better spend helping them with their addiction and helping with them with their new born.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:35 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Quote:
Abortion should not an option just because these women want to continue with using heroin and opiods.

The liberal 21st century is weakening America. Glad, that America's President is actually going to summits full of conservative, religious leaders.

I think it is odd that states are so light on this. They would be doing these future children a great service by arresting the substance abusing future-mothers and charging them with a felony.

Rather then very expensive treatment, I think this crisis would decrease if these women knew that they would be charged with 2nd degree felonies for being pregnant or having a baby on illegal drugs or any drug that could impact their child's health.

Did they impregnate themselves? Is this immaculate conception? Or did you give a free pass to the daddies?

Old 10-16-2017, 08:35 PM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Do you really think banning abortion will stop women, especially those facing prison, from getting an abortion anyway?

Here is what would happen.

Drug dealers and back street abortionists would join forces $$$$.

Another thing, you obviously don't understand addiction.
So its better to do nothing because this is a complicated subject?

Old 10-16-2017, 08:42 PM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Judging from lovecrowd's posts, I am wondering if he/she goes to Steven Anderson's church in Tempe.

I agree with the posters that said that sending women to prison who have addicted babies would encourage abortions. Of course, conservatives will say "that wouldn't be an issue if abortion were illegal." However, it would encourage back-alley, coat hanger abortions.

Religious conservatives are always so quick to want to pass laws to punish people they don't like but they never consider the unintended consequences.
I am fine with putting them in prison if they don't get the abortion. These sorts of drug addicts are not that bright so a lot of them will think they will get clean long enough to have the kid and fail and end up in jail anyways. You all do not know how junkies think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies